Script to enhance discoverability.

Karl Blixt

Karl Blixt

Hi Emby users. so I read in a post somewhere (suggestion I belive) that they wish they could scroll through a list of their movies ordered randomly so that they could "discover" movies easier. So I wrote a script that hijacks the recently added feed on the home screen to essentially use it as a dicoverability feed that will change the movies in this feed once a day (if you set it up on a scheduler that is). 

by default when run it will put the 3 most recently released movies in the front of the "recently added" feed followed by an old but gold movie, a hidden gem and a completely random movie. the order and quantity from each category can of course be changed.

It accomplish this through editing the <dateadded> tag in the .nfo file for each movie. So if the metadata in that tag is valuable to you then this script is not for you. But personally,  I couldn't care less about that metadata field. You'll need to have all of your movie folders in the same directory for this script to work though.

As a Plex user I had a similar script for Plex so it didn't take very long to make a similar script that would work on Emby (although heavily refactored). 

it's fairly customizable as it is but if you have any feature suggestions just post it here or on the Issues github page and I'll take a look at it. 

for more information go to the Github page: https://github.com/KBlixt/Emhanced

PS: I'm not sure, but I guess that this would suit better as a plug-in, but since I don't know even where to begin to convert it into a plugin I'll just leave it as a script. If anyone could give me any help with converting it to a plug-in then that would be awesome. ( I only know python/java but I'm not afraid to learn new stuff)

Edited by Karl Blixt