Trouble Playing Dolby True HD

bfds89

Actually a better way to test this is to temporarily restrict user access to all transcoding permissions on the server, then try to play again in the app.

What will happen is the app will try to direct play the file. It will be interesting to see if it plays successfully, throws an error, or plays without sound.

And yes i think the accurate way to test this would be with a file that has only one single audio track, which is TrueHD. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
altaroinj

Hi all,

I found this topic while asking myself how the LG Emby app could transmit Dolby Atmos soundtrack of my movies to my soundbar (LG SK10Y) through HDMI ARC, exaclty like the Netflix LG app does.

So let me repeat what I understood from what I read here :

- Netflix app is able to transmit Dolby Atmos untouched because Dolby Atmos data is encapsulated in a DD+ container (I don't know if it's the correct term)

- Emby app is able to direct play the file with Atmos in DD+ container

- But it loses Dolby Atmos data if it is encapluated in Dolby True HD container because it needs to reencapsulate the audio in a DD container.

Am I right ?

As Luke suggested, I performed a test using this 2 following demo files from Dolby site (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/) :

Nature's Fury (Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS)
Nature's Fury (Lossless - ATMOS)

The first was direct played and my soundbar showed Dolby Atmos.
The second was direct stremead and when I looked at my server, I saw this :

Streaming direct
Le média est compatible avec l'appareil en ce qui concerne la résolution et le type de média (H.264, AC3 etc), mais se trouve dans un conteneur de fichiers incompatible (.mkv, .avi, .wmv etc). La vidéo sera rempaquetée à la volée avant d'être diffusée à l'appareil.

Le streaming en direct d'un fichier utilise très peu de puissance de traitement sans perte de qualité vidéo.

But I'm not sure I restricted all transcoding permissions. I'll have to figure out how to that.

Edited by altaroinj

rbjtech

Hi all,

I found this topic while asking myself how the LG Emby app could transmit Dolby Atmos soundtrack of my movies to my soundbar (LG SK10Y) through HDMI ARC, exaclty like the Netflix LG app does.

So let me repeat what I understood from what I read here :

- Netflix app is able to transmit Dolby Atmos untouched because Dolby Atmos data is encapsulated in a DD+ container (I don't know if it's the correct term)

- Emby app is able to direct play the file with Atmos in DD+ container

- But it loses Dolby Atmos data if it is encapluated in Dolby True HD container because it needs to reencapsulate the audio in a DD container.

Am I right ?

As Luke suggested, I performed a test using this 2 following demo files from Dolby site (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/) :

Streaming direct
Le média est compatible avec l'appareil en ce qui concerne la résolution et le type de média (H.264, AC3 etc), mais se trouve dans un conteneur de fichiers incompatible (.mkv, .avi, .wmv etc). La vidéo sera rempaquetée à la volée avant d'être diffusée à l'appareil.

Le streaming en direct d'un fichier utilise très peu de puissance de traitement sans perte de qualité vidéo.

But I'm not sure I restricted all transcoding permissions. I'll have to figure out how to that.

Correct - that is expected behaviour.

The only format via ARC which can carry Atmos data from the TV Player / Emby to your AV Amp over Toslink/Optical or HDMI is Dolby Digital Plus, shown as EAC3 in stats for nerds.

The C9 LG's have eARC so MAY be able to do this for TrueHD, but the restriction could be the LG player rather than the TV Hardware.  I have not seen any confirmed reports it is currently able to do this.

altaroinj

That’s what I thought.

I made a test after I deactivated transcoding and direct stream for my TV user, and as expected there was no sound with the 2nd demo file.

My sound bar displayed PCM, but nothing came out of it.

I found this thread about the famous update of LG firmware for 2017 LG TVs :

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/836/2017-lg-oled-truehd-output-thru-hdmi-i-e-earc

So, in order to be able to have Atmos data transmitted to sound bar, do you think it would be possible for Emby, when direct streaming the file, to encapsulate the Atmos data in DD+ ?

I hope I don’t say a big nonsense.

Edited by altaroinj

Essentially that means converting to DD+, and it sounds like you've taken that away via user permissions.

altaroinj

Yes but I just did it for the test.

I could reactivate it.

But before I deactivate it, the issue was that Dolby Digital that was transmitted to sound bar was missing the Atmos data.

Is there a way to keep it in the DD container when direct streaming ?

I think right now it would just be plain DD+ but it's something we can look at in the future. thanks.

CBers

I performed a test using this 2 following demo files from Dolby site (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/) :

Streaming direct[/size]

I can confirm the same with my LG TV and LG SJ9 soundbar.

DD+ passes Dolby Atmos, but TrueHD doesn't - just get Dolby Audio.

On my Nvidia Shield however, I get Dolby Atmos from both files.

My Shield is attached directly to my LG SJ9 soundbar, with the video passed through to the LG TV.

Both files were Direct Streamed when played in both the Emby LG app on my TV and on my Nvidia Shield in the Emby Android TV app.

So, if the Dolby Atmos audio can be remuxed to DD+ via the Emby LG app, then that may solve the issue.

SamES

Yes but I just did it for the test.

I could reactivate it.

But before I deactivate it, the issue was that Dolby Digital that was transmitted to sound bar was missing the Atmos data.

Is there a way to keep it in the DD container when direct streaming ?

I think the atmos data gets lost when the stream is converted to DD+.  I don't think ffmpeg is able to keep this intact

• 4 weeks later...
x-cimo

I can confirm the same with my LG TV and LG SJ9 soundbar.

DD+ passes Dolby Atmos, but TrueHD doesn't - just get Dolby Audio.

On my Nvidia Shield however, I get Dolby Atmos from both files.

My Shield is attached directly to my LG SJ9 soundbar, with the video passed through to the LG TV.

Both files were Direct Streamed when played in both the Emby LG app on my TV and on my Nvidia Shield in the Emby Android TV app.

So, if the Dolby Atmos audio can be remuxed to DD+ via the Emby LG app, then that may solve the issue.

Is your TV a LG C9?  

I just got my C9 this weekend, I'm waiting on my eARC receiver to arrive. I should be able to to test once I get it, if needed.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Is your TV a LG C9?  

I just got my C9 this weekend, I'm waiting on my eARC receiver to arrive. I should be able to to test once I get it, if needed.

Please - it would certainly answer a few questions on here - the main one being does the LG C9 TV App (via Emby) pass HD Audio with Atmos to the AVR via eARC.

• 2 weeks later...
x-cimo

Please - it would certainly answer a few questions on here - the main one being does the LG C9 TV App (via Emby) pass HD Audio with Atmos to the AVR via eARC.

Sorry this took a while.  I installed ceiling speakers.  

I've tried with the videos found here: https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Nature's Fury (Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS) Download MKV H.264 1080p Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 ATMOS Nature's Fury (Lossless - ATMOS) Download MKV H.264 1080p

Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ATMOS

The Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS play as ATMOS on my receiver (direct play for both video and audio): EAC3 6ch.

The Lossless one play is transcoded to AC3, original format was TrueHD 8 ch.

This is on a C9 and Denon x4500h receiver with eARC on.

altaroinj

The Lossless one play is transcoded to AC3, original format was TrueHD 8 ch.

But did you try to fully deactivate transcoding in order to test if Dolby Atmos Lossless could be direct played through eArc

?

I’m just curious because I have an E7 and I won’t change TV before a long time for now.

x-cimo

But did you try to fully deactivate transcoding in order to test if Dolby Atmos Lossless could be direct played through eArc

?

I’m just curious because I have an E7 and I won’t change TV before a long time for now.

I just disabled transcoding. The audio on the lossless file no longer work with transcoding disable. So unless LG change something, for now it doesn't work.

rbjtech

I just disabled transcoding. The audio on the lossless file no longer work with transcoding disable. So unless LG change something, for now it doesn't work.

Thanks for testing.

Hmm - that's a shame - so it's no different to my C8 then in this regard.

I was hoping the C9 would pass True-HD(lossless) with Atmos to the Receiver via eARC - but from what you are saying, it only passes EAC3/DD+ with Atmos ?

Edited by rbjtech

• 1 month later...

Emby for LG 1.0.16 has been released. Stay tuned to our blog for the announcement. Thanks.

• Like 1

romaing

Emby for LG 1.0.16 has been released. Stay tuned to our blog for the announcement. Thanks.

updated yet !  I can now manage my collection from the TV (delete files, metadata identification, etc..)  

• 3 weeks later...

Emby for LG 1.0.18 has been released. Stay tuned to our blog for the announcement. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been having intermittent trouble playing 4k files and stumbled upon this discussion.

problem is:

the movie plays but is all garballed on screen (rainbow of colors)

The audio plays fine

sometimes the movie plays fine for a few seconds then it doesn't

some 4k movies play fine without issue

I have a LG oledC9

the lg is running emby app 1.0.20

connected to local network via gbit ethernet

lg c9 is connected to sonos beam via earc (hdmi#2)

sonos beam does not support dolby atmos

emby server - windows - beta 4.3.0.24

after reading this thread

I looked at two movies

quality for both  = 4k - 120mbps (on lg emby app)

default setting for both is True HD

star trek - does not play - flips back and forth between garbled video on True HD 7.1 - bitrate 24,470

star trek into darkness - plays fine on TRue-HD 7.1 - bitrate 42,823

On the LG Emby app

Star Trek  - set the audio selection on the app to dolby 5.1 = movie plays fine now

I can upload logs from the server too if that will help

tested with a few other movies that are problematic (about 40% are)

same holds true - changing to dolby 5.1 fixes video playback from truehd 7.1

post-964-0-39375100-1575234755_thumb.jpg