Trouble Playing Dolby True HD

bfds89

... May be the files concerned are TrueHD Atmos but not DD+ Atmos ?  Do we have a way to know if the file is Atmos or not ?

From Media info:

• Codec TRUEHD                   <-- TrueHD. (will convert audio)
  • Codec EAC3                         <-- DD+ (should DirectPlay)

Also, from your logs, a couple of notes:

• Most of the files I can see being converted are TrueHD
  • Lossless Atmos also means TrueHD (ie: dolby-atmos-trailer_amaze_1080).  This will also convert.
  • Some of the files being converted have a subtitle selected during playback.   It is possible the conversion is due to the subtitile, not the audio.

Make sure you have subtitles off when testing for audio playback issues so that you can be sure which audio is causing conversion.

Edited by SamES

ok.  I will make more test and revert with appropriate logs.

but something i'm not sure to understand fully, may be you can ligth me on that point :  If I have ATMOS on the audio track, is it playable on both codec TRUEHD and DD+ ?

Here is attached MEDIA INFO file of LAST JEDI if you can check.  I think ATMOS is on TRUEHD track only

MEDIA INFO LAST JEDI.txt

ok.  I will make more test and revert with appropriate logs.

but something i'm not sure to understand fully, may be you can ligth me on that point :  If I have ATMOS on the audio track, is it playable on both codec TRUEHD and DD+ ?

Here is attached MEDIA INFO file of LAST JEDI if you can check.  I think ATMOS is on TRUEHD track only

As ATMOS it is only playable on DD+.  TrueHD will always try and convert the audio to AC3.

what do u mean ?

In regards to the LAST JEDI file, what could be expected if i play the DD+ audio ? am I supposed to get additional ATMOS object on top of the DD+? because I don't.

what do u mean ?

In regards to the LAST JEDI file, what could be expected if i play the DD+ audio ? am I supposed to get additional ATMOS object on top of the DD+? because I don't.

No necessarily.  DD+ can contain lossy ATMOS audio, but it may just be compressed multichannel audio that does not contain ATMOS metadata.

Download this to test DD+ with ATMOS (should DirectPlay). https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-atmos-trailer_amaze_1080.mp4

Download this to test TrueHD with ATMOS (should DirectStream).  https://thedigitaltheater.wetransfer.com/downloads/57a200b07892745290636cc9434fb48920160427225625/4c5be4

Just remember that TrueHD and DD+ are just audio containers that support different formats.  They can support ATMOS but won't always contain ATMOS data.

Edited by SamES

I already have and tested succesfully the first one. It plays fine and I get ATMOS on my TV

I will test the second one and revert.  

thank you.

No necessarily.  DD+ can contain lossy ATMOS audio, but it may just be compressed multichannel audio that does not contain ATMOS metadata.

Download this to test DD+ with ATMOS (should DirectPlay). https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-atmos-trailer_amaze_1080.mp4

Download this to test TrueHD with ATMOS (should DirectStream).  https://thedigitaltheater.wetransfer.com/downloads/57a200b07892745290636cc9434fb48920160427225625/4c5be4

Just remember that TrueHD and DD+ are just audio containers that support different formats.  They can support ATMOS but won't always contain ATMOS data.

I get ATMOS on the first one

I don't get ATMOS on the second one. TRUE HD is transcoded in AC3

These results are expected, aren't they ?

Yes, exactly.  I hope that helps.

Yes. Thank you for your support.

Then what is the best way to directplay some TRUEHD audio with ATMOS ?  which player device can handle it ?

Is Chromecast ULTRA 4K can handle it ?

Edited by romaing

Yes. Thank you for your support.

Then what is the best way to directplay some TRUEHD audio with ATMOS ?  which player device can handle it ?

I don't know if there is any device that can.  If you read post #8 and the link to the article, the limitation is the current HDMI/ARC standard which does not have enough bandwidth to support TrueHD in a lossless format.  This will change when eARC standard is supported but it will obviously take some time before all components have support.

I don't know if there is any device that can.  If you read post #8 and the link to the article, the limitation is the current HDMI/ARC standard which does not have enough bandwidth to support TrueHD in a lossless format.  This will change when eARC standard is supported but it will obviously take some time before all components have support.

Limitation is on ARC channel when you want to use audio return from the TV to an external sound system. But as far as I know HDMI can handle TRUEHD. I mean consider the following set up : a player (nvidia or android box or other) playing file from emby send video + audio to a soundsystem and then soudsytem output video to the LG TV (instead of using intergrated emby app), It should work ? because I'm not using ARC channel.  

CBers

Same here on my LG C7 TV.

I do get Atmos on both when played on my nVidia Shield, which is connected directly to my LG SJ9 soundbar.

• Like 2

Limitation is on ARC channel when you want to use audio return from the TV to an external sound system. But as far as I know HDMI can handle TRUEHD. I mean consider the following set up : a player (nvidia or android box or other) playing file from emby send video + audio to a soundsystem and then soudsytem output video to the LG TV (instead of using intergrated emby app), It should work ? because I'm not using ARC channel.  

Yes, that is possible.  I think nVidia Shield is then the option you would want.  CBers can probably confirm that his setup is similar.

edit: beat me to it!

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

first here is a test with a TRUE HD file using internal speaker and it seems video is direct play but the audio is not. and seems to converting from TRUEHD to AC3, correct ?  

why ?

5bee8f1c51b48_dolbyatmosKO2.jpg

How do you display that Playback Info on the TV ?

That is the stats for nerds feature.

Many thx.

It would be good to display the subtitle info (i.e. the current displayed subtitle type PGS, SRT, etc, and language)

• Like 1

I don't know if someone already posted this but anyway...

Here's a part of the release history of LG's WebOS:

[04.70.06]  
For 2017 OLED TVs (W7, G7, E7, C7, B7)  
1. Support TrueHD audio format through HDMI  
2. Technicolor Expert mode  

https://www.lg.com/de/support/software-firmware?keyword=&superCateId=CT20114004&categoryId=CT20114005&subCateId=CT30005880&modelNum=OLED65C7D

I don't know if someone already posted this but anyway...

Here's a part of the release history of LG's WebOS:

[04.70.06]  

For 2017 OLED TVs (W7, G7, E7, C7, B7)  

1. Support TrueHD audio format through HDMI  

2. Technicolor Expert mode  

https://www.lg.com/de/support/software-firmware?keyword=&superCateId=CT20114004&categoryId=CT20114005&subCateId=CT30005880&modelNum=OLED65C7D

@@SamES what do you think?

@@nanuk do you have one of these models?

Hi Luke,

yes I've a LG OLED65C7D connected to a Denon Receiver over HDMI

and also an 55UJ6309 and an 43UK6300LLB in other rooms.

@@SamES what do you think?

Firmware update [04.70.06] is a fairly old one.

I've seen some articles that suggest that the TV converts the TrueHD track to DD+ on the fly, and others say it doesn't work at all.  Technically sending the TrueHD track (in a lossless format) is not possible, but if someone can prove that it does work then that would be good to see.

@@nanuk, if you have one of these models, can you try a track with TrueHD via USB and confirm if it works as you expect?  Just be aware I have seen files with both a TrueHD track and a track in another format where the TV will fail on the TrueHD track and automatically play the next valid track.  Ideally you need a file with only a TrueHD track

Firmware update [04.70.06] is a fairly old one.

I've seen some articles that suggest that the TV converts the TrueHD track to DD+ on the fly, and others say it doesn't work at all.  Technically sending the TrueHD track (in a lossless format) is not possible, but if someone can prove that it does work then that would be good to see.

@@nanuk, if you have one of these models, can you try a track with TrueHD via USB and confirm if it works as you expect?  Just be aware I have seen files with both a TrueHD track and a track in another format where the TV will fail on the TrueHD track and automatically play the next valid track.  Ideally you need a file with only a TrueHD track

Hi SamES,

ok will test and report soon ;-)

Just be aware I have seen files with both a TrueHD track and a track in another format where the TV will fail on the TrueHD track and automatically play the next valid track.  Ideally you need a file with only a TrueHD track

Yes I know... just like Emby does when changing Audio Tracks via OSD :P

Well.... I tested it with a 4K remux of that had 4 audio tracks (german and english TrueHD & german and english DD AC-3 5.1)

and when using the internal player of the LG via USB there is shown a message that says "this video does not support audio" and after this message the video begins to play but only the DD AC3 track.

When changing the audio tracks from the OSD only two audio tracks are shown.

But... I also tried another file with the following audio tracks (GER DTS 5.1 @ 1536 kbps / ENG DTS 5.1 @ 1536 kbps)

and that also fails to play correct. no error message or something like that BUT only cracking came from the speakers :-/

And the some file played via dlna or via Emby App plays without any problem!

so I don't think the internal media player via usb really is representativ :-/

Edited by nanuk

As far as I know It can't work because on these TVs HDMI version is HDMI 2.0a . Or you need the new HDMI 2.1 to be able to play lossless TRUEHD format. 

Then I really don't understand why they tell it supports TRUEHD through HDMI. it does not make sense . Weared....

Edited by romaing