Trouble Playing Dolby True HD

bfds89

Hi there.

I'm trying to play som 4k Remuxes that have Dolby True HD track.

I'm direct playing to an LG C7 OLED TV, but I noticed that when I do, the emby server converts the audio.

I can play DTS-MA with no problems. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the Dolby True HD?

Thanks.

CBers

I also have an LG C7 TV, which supports upto and including Dolby Atmos, but I am getting remuxed Dolby D audio output the same as @@bfds89.

@@bfds89, @@CBers can you please give me an idea of what you are wanting/expecting here wrt TrueHD/ATMOS?

From all my research, the LG update for 2017+ OLED models that added support for ATMOS in a TrueHD stream only allows for decoding and playback of the ATMOS content via the internal speakers.  It can't be redirected to an external receiver as a TrueHD/ATMOS stream.  I'm not sure how good it will be from the internal speakers or if that is what you actually want.

Basically, ATMOS can be supplied two ways.

Firstly, it can be supplied as a lossy format in a DD+ stream (which should already be DirectPlaying in Emby - not Google Maps ;) ) and this stream can be directed to a receiver via HDMI/ARC for full multi-channel enjoyment.

With the updated support, ATMOS can now also be supplied in a lossless format in a TrueHD stream, either from a HDMI source, or possibly (?) via a network stream/local file.  The problem is that the data rate in this lossless format is too high to be transmitted via HDMI/ARC back to a receiver, so it is only possible to play it using the internal speakers.

This article describes it well and is consistent with all my other research.  https://hdguru.com/understanding-dolby-atmos-from-an-supporting-lg-tv/

Now, understanding all this (and feel free to challenge if you think this is not correct) do you still need Emby to support DirectPlaying of TrueHD tracks, knowing that it will only be useful for playback via the built-in speakers?

To make this work, we would have to detect the TV model and enable it only for models that support TrueHD.  This now adds a support issue as new models are added.

The bigger problem is for those that have a compatible model and want to playback a TrueHD track via ARC to a receiver.  It won't work, so what will they get?  In their case they will expect some form of audio track conversion so that they can stream to their receiver in a compatible format.  

From this perspective I believe the current implementation is the correct one and meets most users expectations.  The only users missing out are those that want to listen to TrueHD/ATMOS via the built-in speakers, and I expect that anyone wanting a TrueHD/ATMOS experience are not using the built in speakers.

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

@@SamES Thank you for this article and your reply. Very interesting and I am fully concerned as I have a 2018 Super HD LED TV  Brand LG . I will test playing because I think I direct play some files with TRUEHD without converting. But I will check tonight.

What I can't explain is that I have already noticed that my TV not always detect dolby atmos from my emby server (using internal speaker). I don't really now why somes are ok and somes not....

Here is one not ok , compliant with prerequisite :

Solo star wars 4K

Informations du média
VidéoTitle4K HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Niveau153
Résolution3840x2160
Ratio d'aspect original16:9
EntrelacéNo
Images par seconde23.9760246
Débit55274 kbps
Gamme vidéoHDR
Couleurs primairesbt2020
Espace colorimétriquebt2020nc
Transfert de couleursmpte2084
Format de pixelyuv420p10le
Images de référence1
AudioTitleEng TRUEHD 7.1
Langueeng
CodecTRUEHD
Répartition7.1
Chaînes8 ch
Débit échantillon48000 Hz
Profondeur en Bit24 bit
DéfautNo
AudioTitleEng DTS 7.1 Default
Langueeng
CodecDTS
ProfilDTS-HD MA
Répartition7.1
Chaînes8 ch
Profondeur en Bit24 bit
DéfautYes
AudioTitleFre Dolby Digital+ 8 ch
Languefre
CodecEAC3
Chaînes8 ch
DéfautNo
AudioTitleFre Dolby Digital 5.1
Languefre
CodecAC3
Répartition5.1
Chaînes6 ch
Débit640 kbps
DéfautNo
Sous-titreTitleEng Default
Langueeng
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautYes
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleEng
Langueeng
CodecSUBRIP
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFre
Languefre
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFre
Languefre
CodecSUBRIP
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFre Forced
Languefre
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéYes
ExterneNo
Conteneurmkv

here is one which is ok : Dolby Atmos demo file

VidéoTitle1080P H264
CodecH264
Étiquette du codecavc1
AVCYes
ProfilMain
Niveau40
Résolution1920x1080
EntrelacéNo
Images par seconde24
Débit7773 kbps
Profondeur en Bit8 bit
Format de pixelyuv420p
Images de référence1
NAL4
AudioTitleUnd Dolby Digital+ 5.1 Default
Langueund
CodecEAC3
Étiquette du codecec-3
Répartition5.1
Chaînes6 ch
Débit448 kbps
DéfautYes
Conteneurmp4

So your first file, the primary audio track is TrueHD, so it will not DirectPlay.  

If you select this track, which is DD+, then it should also work with Atmos. 'Audio TitleFre Dolby Digital+ 8 ch'.  However, I think in the current release, if there is a TrueHD track, then the audio selection screen loads the wrong track selection, so this may be causing some confusion as well.  Try selecting Audio TitleFre Dolby Digital+ 8 ch from the Media Details screen before playback and see what you get.

The second file has DD+, should it should DirectPlay fine 

I shouldn't selected the TRUEHD one which is english. I use to select only FR audio tracks. So I think I already selected the DD+ 8Ch

I will test it again and take screenshot of what happens.

I will also check trueHD directplay as I guess I get directplay with TRUEHD tracks. why should I get converting audio ? I didn't get that point. Can you reexplain to me ?

another feedback I made some tests yesterday : I confirm tracks with DD+ are playing Dolby Atmos confirmed by logo displayed on my TV, and tracks with TRUEHD with Dolby Atmos are not playing Dolby atmos. You are completely right on that point.

Here is one file I have tested which don't play Dolby Atmos for sure with audio FRA Dolby Digital+ 6ch

Can you help me ?

VidéoTitle4K HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Niveau153
Résolution3840x2160
EntrelacéNo
Images par seconde23.9760246
Débit50491 kbps
Gamme vidéoHDR
Couleurs primairesbt2020
Espace colorimétriquebt2020nc
Transfert de couleursmpte2084
Format de pixelyuv420p10le
Images de référence1
AudioTitleFra Dolby Digital+ 6 ch Default
Languefra
CodecEAC3
Chaînes6 ch
DéfautYes
AudioTitleEng TRUEHD 7.1
Langueeng
CodecTRUEHD
Répartition7.1
Chaînes8 ch
Profondeur en Bit24 bit
DéfautNo
AudioTitleFra Dolby Digital 5.1
Languefra
CodecAC3
Répartition5.1
Chaînes6 ch
Débit640 kbps
DéfautNo
Sous-titreTitleEng
Langueeng
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFra
Languefra
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFra
Languefra
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFra
Languefra
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Sous-titreTitleFra
Languefra
CodecPGSSUB
DéfautNo
ForcéNo
ExterneNo
Conteneurmkv

Can you attach a server log file when you playback this movie with the first Audio track selected? Thanks

Sure. How I can do that ? Do I have to send  ffmpeg log file ?  first time I'm looking for log files, please show me the path.

Edited by romaing

first here is a test with a TRUE HD file using internal speaker and it seems video is direct play but the audio is not. and seems to converting from TRUEHD to AC3, correct ?  

why ?

5bee8f1c51b48_dolbyatmosKO2.jpg

first here is a test with a TRUE HD file using internal speaker and it seems video is direct play but the audio is not. and seems to converting from TRUEHD to AC3, correct ?  

why ?

5bee8f1c51b48_dolbyatmosKO2.jpg

It is converting because the app is configured to convert TrueHD to AC3 as we know it's not playable.  

ok. I think I got it now. the app convert to be able to get something playable through ARC, which is most common usage, even if my TV speakers can handle it. correct ? 

But are you not able to detect from the TV what is the output selected ? I think Netflix app do it.

I think my TV can handle TRUEHD trough HDMI ARC thanks to MAT codec. Does it tell you something ?

but I'm not sure... I know DTS-HD is ok.

Here the list of codes supported :

Audio: AC4, AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS Express, WMA, apt-X
Vidéos: VC-1 Advanced Profile (except WMVA); Xvid(except 3 warp-point GMC), H.264/AVC, Motion Jpeg, H.265/HEVC, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP8, VP9, MPEG-1, RV30, RV40

@@SamES Did you get my log file ? the log fil is related to dolby digital + ATMOS issue, not playing

I try to read the file, and I think EAC3 is transcoding to AC3 despite my TV support EAC3

Edited by romaing

CBers

For the record, DTS audio is passed through ARC OK, but not sure Dolby Atmos is, so may be a limitation to LG's implementation of ARC.

May need to wait for the next version.

I get Atmos audio passed to my LG (SJ9) soundbar from my Shield when it is directly connected to the soundbar.

ok. I think I got it now. the app convert to be able to get something playable through ARC, which is most common usage, even if my TV speakers can handle it. correct ? 

But are you not able to detect from the TV what is the output selected ? I think Netflix app do it.

I think my TV can handle TRUEHD trough HDMI ARC thanks to MAT codec. Does it tell you something ?

but I'm not sure... I know DTS-HD is ok.

Here the list of codes supported :

Audio: AC4, AC3(Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS Express, WMA, apt-X
Vidéos: VC-1 Advanced Profile (except WMVA); Xvid(except 3 warp-point GMC), H.264/AVC, Motion Jpeg, H.265/HEVC, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP8, VP9, MPEG-1, RV30, RV40

@@SamES Did you get my log file ? the log fil is related to dolby digital + ATMOS issue, not playing

I try to read the file, and I think EAC3 is transcoding to AC3 despite my TV support EAC3

Yes, this correct.  We convert it to make it playable via arc as that is the most common usage.

We can't detect the type of output selected.  I don't think Netflix does this either.  With Netflix, you will get ATMOS via EAC3, not TrueHD.

It should be DirectPlaying with EAC3, but it is possible that it is not.

I got the log but it is only the transcode log.  There should also be a server.log file which is the actual server log.  You could try sending that after you test.

You should expect MP3, AC3, EAC3, DTS/DTS-MA to all DirectPlay, but remember this is also dependent on the container, video codec and what subs are requested.  These can all cause transcoding as well.

For the record, DTS audio is passed through ARC OK, but not sure Dolby Atmos is, so may be a limitation to LG's implementation of ARC.

May need to wait for the next version.

I get Atmos audio passed to my LG (SJ9) soundbar from my Shield when it is directly connected to the soundbar.

No I don't think so... Dolby Atmos (from a DD+ track) should work through ARC.  May be you play True HD Dolby Atmos ?

Yes, this correct.  We convert it to make it playable via arc as that is the most common usage.

We can't detect the type of output selected.  I don't think Netflix does this either.  With Netflix, you will get ATMOS via EAC3, not TrueHD.

It should be DirectPlaying with EAC3, but it is possible that it is not.

I got the log but it is only the transcode log.  There should also be a server.log file which is the actual server log.  You could try sending that after you test.

You should expect MP3, AC3, EAC3, DTS/DTS-MA to all DirectPlay, but remember this is also dependent on the container, video codec and what subs are requested.  These can all cause transcoding as well.

I think NETFLIX detect it because as soon as I switch my outpout, the audio codec display changes in netflix App.  for instance if I switch from my internal speakers to HDMI ARC (wireless headphone Dolby Digital on it) , netflix audio switch from Dolby Atmos to 5.1

here is log server day Nov 15. Don't know if its is normal but It seems I only have one server log file per day.

let you know that I equest no sub ==> Sub deactivated, but is seems emby refuse direcplay because of unsupported sub codec. If I read well the server log :-)

then do u think MKV container is the issue ?

Log server.txt

Yes, 1 log per day is correct.

@@romaing, just to clarify, what is the main issue as I'm now a little confused?

So you should expect:

• TrueHD/Atmos, audio will convert, so probably will DirectStream
  • DD+/Atmos, should DirectPlay
  • DTS should DirectPlay

Just be aware that if you are enabling subtitles, then some subtitle types will also cause transcoding.

If this matches what you are seeing, then I think it is all working as expected.

Ok, sorry, yes I will try to clarify. thank you for you support.

I simply expect getting Atmos when playing files from emby.

I'm not enabling subtitles.

this is what shows the emby infos display :

TrueHD Atmos => directstream . as you mentionned, it automatically converted because TrueHD atmos won't work through HDMI ARC as it is the common usage.

DD+ Atmos ==> directplay 

DTS ==> directplay

But it seems I'm not getting Atmos data. I sent you reports showing Dolby EAC3 is converted to AC3, then I suppose that's the reason why I lose Atmos. 

it appears as it directplay EAC3 and it doesn't.

So I don't get Atmos on these files. this is my main issue. 

I get atmos with MP4 files from emby

... May be the files concerned are TrueHD Atmos but not DD+ Atmos ?  Do we have a way to know if the file is Atmos or not ?

Edited by romaing