Trouble Playing Dolby True HD

bfds89

This is a common problem with some 4K files when attempting to direct stream, which will be the case if you are trying to play the TrueHD track as it is not supported.

If you have other audio tracks then I would suggest manually selecting those before playback in which case the file should direct play without issues.

Thanks SamES

I think I understand a little more

for my purposes with the sonos beam Dolby 5.1 lossy is good enough

but for others with a new AVR and who want lossless audio - it seems to be if the TV (LG in my case)

will support only  eARC over hdmi or from the internals apps or  browser.

My Lg C9 for example can play TrueHD if I use an nvidia shield as the source hdmi

The TV will honour the source for TrueHD and pass it down the eARC hdmi.

the Shield seems to be the best way for audio support, but lose the convenience of the built in emby app.

hope this helps someone else

• Like 2

This is a common problem with some 4K files when attempting to direct stream, which will be the case if you are trying to play the TrueHD track as it is not supported.

If you have other audio tracks then I would suggest manually selecting those before playback in which case the file should direct play without issues.

It would be great if we could set the LG app to default to the first non TrueHD track. Right now I've just disabled transcoding and then the player automatically switches to the next track.

• 4 months later...
Defiant1701

Thanks SamES

I think I understand a little more

for my purposes with the sonos beam Dolby 5.1 lossy is good enough

but for others with a new AVR and who want lossless audio - it seems to be if the TV (LG in my case)

will support only  eARC over hdmi or from the internals apps or  browser.

My Lg C9 for example can play TrueHD if I use an nvidia shield as the source hdmi

The TV will honour the source for TrueHD and pass it down the eARC hdmi.

the Shield seems to be the best way for audio support, but lose the convenience of the built in emby app.

hope this helps someone else

Edited by Defiant1701

Defiant1701

I have the same issue trying to play 4k  TrueHD 7.1 on my LG C9

Changed the audio to 5.1 and the movie plays fine

I have tried using Chromecast Ultra and the 4k movie played fine as well at TrueHD 7.1 but i really like the Emby app on the LG TV

Hope this can be fixed going forward

rbjtech

The LG app will play the 'Default' track unless told otherwise - so what I have done is simply tag the 'Default' track to be the non TrueHD Track - ie DTS or AC3.

But it is a good call that the LG App should look for alternative compatible tracks (in the same language) BEFORE resorting to a transcode on the Default audio track.   This will not only usually be better quality than a transcoded version (ie original DTS core or original AC3) but put less pressure on the server as it will then DirectPlay.

Edited by rbjtech

SamES

It would be great if we could set the LG app to default to the first non TrueHD track. Right now I've just disabled transcoding and then the player automatically switches to the next track.

The only issue with this approach is if the next track is a commentary track, or another language, then the user has no way to select to play the TrueHD track with transcoding as it is automatically skipped

• Like 1

rbjtech

The only issue with this approach is if the next track is a commentary track, or another language, then the user has no way to select to play the TrueHD track with transcoding as it is automatically skipped

I guess you can check the language easy enough, but hadn't thought about commentary track - good shout  :D

Ceten

You're right, I've never thought about that, probably because I have no movies with a commentary track.

But what if we just select the first direct playable track in the interface(I think that excludes only TrueHD?) as default so the default settings give a better chance at direct play?

Overall I'd say direct play is almost always to be preferred over transcodig and the user can still select the TrueHD track before starting the movie (or during playback)?

I guess that would be a similar appoach as srt subs taking precedence over PGS subs?

You're right, I've never thought about that, probably because I have no movies with a commentary track.

But what if we just select the first direct playable track in the interface(I think that excludes only TrueHD?) as default so the default settings give a better chance at direct play?

Overall I'd say direct play is almost always to be preferred over transcodig and the user can still select the TrueHD track before starting the movie (or during playback)?

I guess that would be a similar appoach as srt subs taking precedence over PGS subs?

Yes at some point we will probably update to lean in this direction.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...