Can I force SRT file priority?

KR!5

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of foreign videos that are MKV files and the 'forced English' option results in the file never playing. As a result I've extracted the subtitles and saved them as SRT files and they play fine once I select the subtitle option as 'Und' (which are the srt files, not sure why they are named this :lol: ).

Is there any option to force Emby to always use an SRT file instead of one contained in the video? So for example, Emby checks to see if an SRT file is present, if there is one, it picks this and ignores the subtitle inside the MKV file.

I don't want to keep having to go to 'select audio or subtitles' before playing every video in this library.

Thanks for any help guys!

P.S. I don't see any subtitles options anywhere in the server settings, i've been looking in the general settings and for the user for half an hour :(

Edited by KR!5

daedalus

are you sure your subtitles are marked correctly in the metadata of your files with the flags "forced" and language "english" ?

can you show the media information section of your files on the bottom of the detail screen of the webclient?

they play fine once I select the subtitle option as 'Und' (which are the srt files, not sure why they are named this :lol: )

they show up that way 'cause server don't know it's language, simply follow the naming convention here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

correctly identified subtitles get correctly loaded, but keep in mind (for testing) that emby saves stream selection per file, means eg once you play a file without selecting subtiles, these never get automatically loaded again even if would be set up in your subtitle settings

Is there any option to force Emby to always use an SRT file instead of one contained in the video? So for example, Emby checks to see if an SRT file is present, if there is one, it picks this and ignores the subtitle inside the MKV file.

I don't want to keep having to go to 'select audio or subtitles' before playing every video in this library.

P.S. I don't see any subtitles options anywhere in the server settings, i've been looking in the general settings and for the user for half an hour :(

subtitle settings are per user, so these are in your user settings

you could try to forced them by following the naming convention

Edited by daedalus

Thank you for the quick reply!

Re-reading my post, I didn't do a good job making myself my clear, I shouldn't have used the term 'force'. What I want to do is to make SRT files always be the default when they're present. If I could put what I want to do in a forumla, it would be 'if video folder has SRT with same name as video = use this instead of any subtitles contained in the video'. At the moment, I have 2 forced English subtitle files, one which is contained in the file (the default, which stalls the video indefinately) and one which is an SRT file (what I want to be the default).

I'm not sure how to quote withouting quoting the whole post, so I'll respond to the points

are you sure your subtitles are marked correctly in the metadata of your files with the flags "forced" and language "english" ?

they weren't no, thank you for pointing me in that direction, they're now listed correctly.

emby saves stream selection per file, means eg once you play a file without selecting subtiles, these never get automatically loaded again even if would be set up in your subtitle settings

any way to reset this or do I have to delete the file, scan and re-add?

I assume a possible workaround is to set the subtitle preference to something like German and then mark the SRT file as German even though it's English, this should 'force' the SRT file to be used. The example shows the foreign subtitle file as 'spa' for Spanish - is there a list of what countries = what codes or is it just the first three letters?

Edited by KR!5

That's good to hear, so what am I doing wrong?

Whenever I try to play one of these MKV videos, Emby always chooses the file contained in the video. Selecting subtitles, it lists:

• Eng Default Forced (contained in the MKV file) --- this is always the default
  • Und or Eng Forced (the external subtitle file I want to use)
  • (none)

Also, I've also tested the '(title).eng.forced.srt' extension as opposed to '(title).srt' and although it correctly lists the renamed file as 'Forced English', no subitles play with the video. Once I changed the file name back to '(title).srt', the subtitles played correctly

Edited by KR!5

PenkethBoy

have you tried removing the forced track from the mkv - as you have a srt file they are no longer needed

Thanks for the suggestion, as far as i'm aware I would need an external program to 're-make' every individual video, is that correct? I assume, there's no 'off' switch I can press. That would meaning do so for around 230 videos.

Here's the options I currently have

• keep the srt file name 'episode s1e1.srt' and press 'play' = ignores the srt file and chooses the file contained in the MKV, which stalls the video indefinately
  • (after changing my subtitle settings to Spanish) change the srt file name to 'episode s1e1.spa.forced.srt' and press play = plays the video (proving that it's selected the srt file, which is exactly what I want), but no subtitles appear

Note: no, the subtitles aren't Spanish, they're English, but by labelling them as Spanish and labelling my subtitle settings to play Spanish subtitles, I am able to force Emby to use the srt file. Remember, that's all i'm trying to do, Emby keeps chosing the MKV subtitle file as the default.

Update: only works for previously unplayed files

I finally got it working (subitle settings - Spanish / srt file just named .srt not spa.forced.srt) - I press play on the episodes and they choose the srt file AND the subtitles appear.

However, this only works for files that have never been played before. My Spanish setting workaround or something I changed in the subtitle settings works for new files only. Any files played in the past will keep choosing the MKV subtitle by default and I can't change this.

Edited by KR!5

daedalus

Hi, we already give external subtitles higher priority. Thanks.

if that is, for what reason ever, not working, setting to english and using *.eng.default.srt like stated in the wiki also doesn't work?

That's good to hear, so what am I doing wrong?

Whenever I try to play one of these MKV videos, Emby always chooses the file contained in the video. Selecting subtitles, it lists:

• Eng Default Forced (contained in the MKV file) --- this is always the default
  • Und or Eng Forced (the external subtitle file I want to use)
  • (none)

'Eng Default Forced (contained in the MKV file) --- this is always the default' <-- if that is a normal subtitle than its labeled wrong, maybe thats why emby chooses this over the external

Thanks for the suggestion, as far as i'm aware I would need an external program to 're-make' every individual video, is that correct? I assume, there's no 'off' switch I can press. That would meaning do so for around 230 videos.

Here's the options I currently have

• keep the srt file name 'episode s1e1.srt' and press 'play' = ignores the srt file and chooses the file contained in the MKV, which stalls the video indefinately
  • (after changing my subtitle settings to Spanish) change the srt file name to 'episode s1e1.spa.forced.srt' and press play = plays the video (proving that it's selected the srt file, which is exactly what I want), but no subtitles appear

Note: no, the subtitles aren't Spanish, they're English, but by labelling them as Spanish and labelling my subtitle settings to play Spanish subtitles, I am able to force Emby to use the srt file. Remember, that's all i'm trying to do, Emby keeps chosing the MKV subtitle file as the default.

I finally got it working (subitle settings - Spanish / srt file just named .srt not spa.forced.srt) - I press play on the episodes and they choose the srt file AND the subtitles appear.

i think something is quirked, what subtile mode you have set?

Spanish / srt file just named .srt <-- emby doesn't know what language the subtitle is, so setting the language setting should not count here in

So, my question is - how can I delete all history of a previously played file? Do I delete the series, re-scan to update the library without it and add it back in? Will this treat the episodes as new again?

only @Luke knows

Edited by daedalus