Android TV: Save password as in Android for mobiles

Enrique1980

Enrique1980
This scenario in my beach house:

1. I login on EMBY like me (I select my username and enter my password because I'm not on the same LAN that the EMBY server)

2. I finish watching a video and leave the application

3. My child wants to watch another video: He must select his user and enter his password.

I would like to be able to change from one user to another without having to enter the password every time (as I do in my usual home).

Enrique1980

And, you have to enter that PIN, any time the adult profile is accessed, correct...?

Yes, but my children are adult. This is not my scenario. I only want to use my EMBY server in the same way in my LAN or in other trusted LAN (or trusted device)

Okay, so you have no use for Parental Controls but what  you are suggesting will effectively defeat the parental controls for everyone.  I know you said, there is an option but, I believe people would not think that option would survive switching users and would turn it on and then defeat the controls they thought they had in place.

So, your situation, it seems, is best addressed by something like a VPN that can make your beach house appear as if it is on the same network or, like you suggested, the ability to allow a device to behave as if it were on the network even if it isn't.

CBers

Perhaps if @@Enrique1980's Beach House was also deemed to be "on" his local LAN, then PINs would suffice, as they do at his normal home.

I know that's not even possible within Emby right now, but a VPN at the Beach House might suffice?

• Like 1

Enrique1980
I have tried the option of making a VPN but:

1. It is not possible (or very complex) to do it with a TV with AndroidTV (my case). In Samsung or LG TV's.....

2. At least in spain, Internet operators slow down de connection when they detect a VPN. This I could check with a Raspberry at a friend's house connected by VPN to NAS (my server EMBY). 

I do not see any problem with the option of "remember password" (as it happens in smartphones), but it can also be solved with the option to mark a device as "trusted". 

A device marked on the EMBY server as "trusted" will apply the same security policies as if it were on the LAN: Users can enter with a password, with a PIN or without a password or PIN (as I do right now in my usual house)

Edited by Enrique1980

CBers

I do not see any problem with the option of "remember password" (as it happens in smartphones), but it can also be solved with the option to mark a device as "trusted".

If the client/device remembers the password, then it will always login as that user.

If you switch accounts, then you'll need to enter that person's password.

It's all about security at the end of the day, but I understand where you're coming from.

A VPN would effectively make your device part of your LAN at home, so you could then use PINs as you do at home, even blank ones.

It's worth a try. There are several people here on the forums that use VPNs in a similar scenario.

Enrique1980
As I said, I've already tried using a VPN between a Raspberry and my EMBY server. The speed of the connection dropped to 1Mbps. If I use HTTPS I have 100Mbps.

Also, how do I configure a VPN between a Samsung TV and the EMBY server?

Enrique1980

If the client/device remembers the password, then it will always login as that user. 
If you are in the same server LAN this does not happen. I have selected "login with pin code" but with an empty PIN

This allows me (in my LAN) to select the user with which I will enter the client and login without password.

But this I can NOT do it in my house on the beach (Android TV) or my sister can do it from her home (Samsung TV). In both houses we must select the user and enter the password each time.
Edited by Enrique1980

In both houses we must select the user and enter the password each time.

Just for clarification for people reading - this is only true if  you are switching between users on the same device.  All the options to remember the last user and log in as a specific user without requiring a password work fine from remote locations as well.

Enrique1980
Before, I was a PLEX user. In this system, you can enter your PLEX username and password on the TV and mark "remember password".

From that moment, when you enter the application, you choose the user (= NetFlix profile) and enter with PIN or without PIN. And it does not matter if the client is in the same LAN or in different LAN

Enrique1980
The only thing I would like is to be able to enter my EMBY server in the same way: From my usual home, from my beach house or from my sister's television.

And the VPN is not a valid option for me.

I think that marking a device as "reliable" so that it works as if it were on the LAN is a good option

Edited by Enrique1980

I think that marking a device as "reliable" so that it works as if it were on the LAN is a good option

I agree.  I think that would be the best route to take here as well.

That, however, does not mean its going to happen next week :).

CBers

Before, I was a PLEX user. In this system, you can enter your PLEX username and password on the TV and mark "remember password".

From that moment, when you enter the application, you choose the user (= NetFlix profile) and enter with PIN or without PIN. And it does not matter if the client is in the same LAN or in different LAN

That's an account with sub-users or profiles.

Emby doesn't have that option.

Enrique1980
Yes, I know. EMBY have users. 

But....

I still do not see much problem in putting the option "remember the password" in the AndroidTV application and that each user decides.

Or, be able to define some devices as "reliable" (as I mentioned above).

Anyway. I have already said my situation, I have already said what I would like to have, I have commented on what can not be done and how everything could be solved without reducing the functionality or safety of EMBY.

I leave everything in your hands.

Thanks and regards.
  • Like 1

Enrique1980
I thought that would be enough. Although, as I said before, the functionality of being able to mark certain devices as "trusted" so that they behave as in LAN, would also be valid.

What I am looking for is to be able to enter with one user or another into "friends" TVs without having to enter the password each time.

Thanks for everything

So you just want an option to remember the login?

The app already has this.

Enrique1980

As far as I know, only remember the password of one user, not the password of all those who want

Yes that is correct, otherwise that would allow any user to login as as other users, if the password has been remembered.

Is that what you want? Why not explore the options we have - is this device on the same network as your emby server? If so, then you can use the in-network sign in feature to not require a password when on the local network.

Enrique1980

Is that what you want?

No. This is not enough for me.

Is this device on the same network as your emby server?

More or less. This is my scenario: 3 TV with AndroidTV/Samsung: 

1. One in my usual house (same LAN than EMBY server). 4 users: Me, my wife and two children (>18)

2. Another in my summer house. Same users that in usual house

3. Another in my sister's house (She and her family, 3 users)

Only in the first one, I and my family can login without password (We use a blank "PIN"). From Internet we use our SmartPhones and we save the password. If we login from other device, we must enter the password.

What would I like ?:

To be able to login on EMBY from the three televisions in the same way: Without having to enter the password every time the user changes

Would a VPN not be the solution?: Not for the following reasons
1.In Spain, when an Internet provider detects a VPN, it slows down. This I have been able to verify doing a VPN between a Raspberry and my NAS
2. Making a VPN from an Android TV could perhaps be attempted (although, as I said, it does not work), but...from a Samsung television to my NAS? => I don `t believe

How do I think it could be implemented?
1. By marking certain devices on the server as "trusted" so that they work as if they were on the LAN (as if a VPN was done but by HTTPS)
2. Allowing all users to choose to save their password

I hope I have been clear now
Thanks and best regards
Edited by Enrique1980

Yes, improvements are possible for the future. Thanks for the feedback. 

• 2 months later...
Enrique1980

Only for your information: In the end, I got what I wanted but in another way: I added the public IP's of my sister's house and my beach house as "local networks" in the "Advanced-> Local networks" section of the configuration of the server. The only tedious thing is that when the Internet provider changes their public IPs, I must configure them again.

Of course, I also added my own local network: 192.168.1.0/24.

In any case, it would be great to be able to mark some devices as "belonging to the server's local network" so that EMBY handles those devices as if they were in the server's local network.

Edited by Enrique1980
  • Like 1

Only for your information: In the end, I got what I wanted but in another way: I added the public IP's of my sister's house and my beach house as "local networks" in the "Advanced-> Local networks" section of the configuration of the server. The only tedious thing is that when the Internet provider changes their public IPs, I must configure them again.

Of course, I also added my own local network: 192.168.1.0/24.

In any case, it would be great to be able to mark some devices as "belonging to the server's local network" so that EMBY handles those devices as if they were in the server's local network.

Nice solution.  Thanks for sharing!

CBers

The only tedious thing is that when the Internet provider changes their public IPs, I must configure them again.

Couldn't you set up their networks via DDNS and use that as a local network?

Or does it have be an actual IP address?