Android TV: Save password as in Android for mobiles

Enrique1980

Enrique1980

It would be good to be able to save the passwords in the AndroidTV application in a similar way to how it can be done in the mobile application ... if the user so decides

Thanks

Hi.  The Android TV app already has the ability to set a default user and save that password.  What, exactly, are you looking for?

Enrique1980
Hi. Yes, I know the option of Android TV that you comment, but it only works for one user. I would like for each user who wants to be able to save his password and, in this way, it would not be necessary to enter it each time he wants to access the server from a TV.

Another option is to have the option of being able to mark a remote device as "reliable" on the server so that authentication from that device is done as if it were on the LAN (for example, with PIN or without password or PIN, etc.)

EMBY allows you to mark other networks as "LAN", but the public IP addresses of domestic Internet connections change frequently.

My case:

I have the EMBY server in my house. All my users have a password and have PIN authentication enabled but with an empty PIN. This allows my wife and my children to select their user on the TV and enter the server without typing the password or PIN (We do the same with NetFlix)

My sister connects to the server with her TV over the Internet and I would like her and her family (husband, children) to have the same convenience of selecting their user and authenticating themselves on the server without entering any PIN or password on their TV.

If a user wants to connect from other networks (through the Internet), they must enter username and password.

I don't think any of the apps would support that scenario right now.

IOW - if you logged into your account using your Sister's phone, then her password would no longer be "saved" on that phone and she would have to re-enter it.

Enrique1980

Yes I know. But a telephone is a personal device while a television is not.

I think the best solution is to add the option of "trusted" devices so that the server applies the same policies that apply to those connected by LAN.

mastrmind11

Hi. Yes, I know the option of Android TV that you comment, but it only works for one user. I would like for each user who wants to be able to save his password and, in this way, it would not be necessary to enter it each time he wants to access the server from a TV.

Another option is to have the option of being able to mark a remote device as "reliable" on the server so that authentication from that device is done as if it were on the LAN (for example, with PIN or without password or PIN, etc.)

EMBY allows you to mark other networks as "LAN", but the public IP addresses of domestic Internet connections change frequently.

My case:
I have the EMBY server in my house. All my users have a password and have PIN authentication enabled but with an empty PIN. This allows my wife and my children to select their user on the TV and enter the server without typing the password or PIN (We do the same with NetFlix)

My sister connects to the server with her TV over the Internet and I would like her and her family (husband, children) to have the same convenience of selecting their user and authenticating themselves on the server without entering any PIN or password on their TV.

If a user wants to connect from other networks (through the Internet), they must enter username and password.

Set up a VPN server at your house and connect to that.  Anyone using the VPN will be treated as a local user.

• 4 months later...
Enrique1980
Many Internet providers limit the speeds of VPNs in residential connections. Is my case.

I see the very simple solution: Put a "check" to allow "save password" (as in EMBY for Android Mobile)

Thats all.

Many Internet providers limit the speeds of VPNs in residential connections. Is my case.

I see the very simple solution: Put a "check" to allow "save password" (as in EMBY for Android Mobile)

Thats all.

That will be coming in the app settings.

• 1 month later...
Enrique1980

Hi. Do you know when the new version of EMBY for AndroidTV is planned in which we will be able to save the passwords of several users?

Hi.  No exact ETA.  Right now you should be able to set a permanent default or remember the last logged in user.

• 1 month later...
Enrique1980
I think that there are a new version of the EMBY APP for AndroidTV version, isn't it?

Can I save the password for all individual users like I can do in Android for mobile?

When there is a new version of the client for AndroidTV, could you indicate it in the blog? Thanks

Edited by Enrique1980

Hi.  I need to fully understand the requirement here.  The mobile app is run on a personal device whereas the TV app is usually run on a shared device so the usage pattern can be quite different.

Are you asking that, once any user has ever logged into the TV app,  you would never have to enter that password again (unless you went through a process to explicitly tell the app to 'forget' that user)?  That would make a shared setup with multiple users with passwords (like a family with children) kind of moot, no?

Couldn't you accomplish what you want by using the EasyPin feature that will allow your users to not have to enter passwords when on the local LAN?

Enrique1980
In LAN no improvement is necessary to the AndroidTV application. My wife and my children have a password to access from the Internet and a PIN (empty) to enter without password and without PIN from the LAN.

What I would like is that my sister (and her family) could have the same ease and speed that I have to be able to enter from their home (from Internet).

They can do it with their smartphones because they enter the password once and select the "Remember" option but on their AndroidTV they must enter the password each time.....or enter all with the same user and activate the "enter always with this user" option.

I think that the solution is as simple as adding an option to remember the password for each user that enters the AndroidTV application. Whoever marks it and who does not want it not to do it.

Thanks for your interest

Regards

Edited by Enrique1980

I think that the solution is as simple as adding an option to remember the password for each user that enters the AndroidTV application. Whoever marks it and who does not want it not to do it.

Personally, I think that would be confusing for most users of the app because it wouldn't be obvious that "Remember Me" survives even switching users.  When you check that option on a website, and then log in as someone else to that same web site, it doesn't remember the password from the previous user and I don't think that is expected in a shared environment.

So, I think people would check "Remember Me" thinking it is only going to remember them and not everyone...

Enrique1980

So, I think people would check "Remember Me" thinking it is only going to remember them and not everyone...

This is how it should work. The "remember password" option only affect for the user that marks it.

if i have a summer home. Do I have to enter my password every time I enter with my user on TV? It's pretty heavy

Another way to make EMBY more agile from "trusted" homes would be to mark certain devices as "trusted" to work as if they were on the LAN.
Edited by Enrique1980

This is how it should work. The "remember password" option only affect for the user that marks it.

if i have a summer home. Do I have to enter my password every time I enter with my user on TV? It's pretty heavy

Another way to make EMBY more agile from "trusted" homes would be to mark certain devices as "trusted" to work as if they were on the LAN.

Can you show me any other secured (with passwords for users so something like Netflix doesn't count) system that behaves this way?   I cannot think of any.  If you switch to another secured user, the previous one is forgotten.

Enrique1980
NetFlix is a good example. I am a NetFlix user. When I install the application, I enter my Netflix username and password both in my usual home and in my house on the beach.

We have 4 profiles (Me, my wife and my two children). And we can continuously enter both my home and my house on the beach without re-entering any password.

I think: NetFlix Profiles = EMBY user.

When I log in with my NetFlix account on a TV and select "Remember password" I am converting that television into a "trusted device"

Edited by Enrique1980

NetFlix is a good example. I am a NetFlix user. When I install the application, I enter my Netflix username and password both in my usual home and in my house on the beach.

We have 4 profiles (Me, my wife and my two children). And we can continuously enter both my home and my house on the beach without re-entering any password.

I think: Profiles NetFlix = EMBY user.

When I log in with my NetFlix account on a TV and select "Remember password" I am converting that television into a "trusted device"

But that is not the same thing as Emby's user-based system.   Netflix "profiles" are not secured by a password at all so nothing is being remembered when  you switch users.  You are never required to have a password for those profiles.

The proper analogy with Netflix would be for you to log out of your main Netflix account and then log in as someone else's.  Now go back and log in as yours again - it is going to require your password.

Enrique1980
In NetFlix, each profile remembers where you were watching a movie. In addition, you can put a PIN to each profile. For example: If you have young children at home you can indicate that a profile is for younger children and NetFlix does not show adult content. In this case, adult profiles should have a PIN to prevent the child from using them.

From my point of view, a NetFlix profile itself is similar to an EMBY user

Please, think that in my house on the beach I have to enter the password EVERY TIME I want to login, while in my usual house I enter without a password. When access from the street I must use password (of course)...except if I use my smartphone (because I have marked "remember password" option).

Edited by Enrique1980

Please, think that in my house on the beach I have to enter the password EVERY TIME I want to login, while in my usual house I enter without a password. When access from the street I must use password (of course)...except I use my smartphone ("remember password option").

Why is this?  The app can either remember the last login or have a default user - both of which will not require the password.  What is it about your scenario at the beach house that makes this not work?

In NetFlix, each profile remembers where you were watching a movie. In addition, you can put a PIN to each profile. For example: If you have young children at home you can indicate that a profile is for younger children and NetFlix does not show adult content. In this case, adult profiles should have a PIN to prevent the child from using them.

And, you have to enter that PIN, any time the adult profile is accessed, correct...?