Trying to Increase loading speed via Transcoding on Ubuntu

Gerald Smith

Gerald Smith

My Emby server works fine, but often I have buffering issues where it takes forever for a movie to load, and sometimes it doesnt even load at all. I just see the circle wait symbol keep spinning. A lot of my movies are 1080p, but I change the transcoding to 720p with 4MB/s. It improved the playback and loading speed somewhat, but sometimes the movie just doesnt load at all. Standard definition tends to load and play much better. Skipping to certain time points in a movie almost always causes the Emby client crash, and I have to restart the box.

Im looking into options to improve my setup, and identify where the bottleneck is.

I run my Emby server on Ubuntu 18.04 on an Intel NUC with i5 processor, 8gb RAM. The box is connected to my WIFI router via ethernet cord. My movies are stored on a 4GB portable SSD external hard-drive (connected via USB 3.0). I always set my CPU freq to Performance (2.7ghz).

My Emby client is on an X96 android box connected to my TV via HDMI. The box connects to my WIFI via the wifi 2.4 ghz. My WIFI has 5ghz option, but my android box does not. If I was to replace anything, I'd get a new box with 5GHz wifi option to increase the bandwidth as I think this is the bottleneck culprit, although, I do sometimes get the same buffering issues when playing from my web browser on my laptop, which is connected by ethernet cord to the router, so the wireless transmission may not be the only issue.

But for the time being, are there options in in the transcoding that I can utilize to speed up to the data transfer?

- My NUC box has Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640. What hardware acceleration options would I have?

- Would increasing Transcoding thread count help?

- Would changing the H.264 encoding preset help?

- Are there any options on my Android client that I can tinker with to increase loading speed and fix buffering issues?

Edited by Gerald Smith