aNiclas

Hi,

Currently Emby runs off my QNAP-653A with performance issues as soon as more than one device connects.
Example: Apple TV4K playing one of my 1080P TV Shows (Transcoding: 21fps, 4.1Mbps ts H264 ac3 with the QNAP CPU running at 98%)

Any other connected device makes it all collapse due to lack of CPU-power.

All my network components are enterprise grade (Cisco Catalyst, port trunking for the NAS) and soon my internet connection is 1Gbps so i was really hoping to have the Emby server deliever my shows and movies to me on any device at any location even with my kid and wife watching stuff at home...

It might be too much to ask from the NAS so I might install Emby on one of my old laptops (Dell M4600, i7, Nvidia Quadro2000, 16GiB RAM, 256 SSD, 1Gbps Ethernet, e-SATA) but before I proceed:

1. Shouldnt my devices at home play without transcoding?

- Apple TV4K

- Apple TV4K

- Openelec Cubox-i4-Pro

- ASRock Kodi on Linux

2. If i install Emby on the M4600 Dell Precision Laptop, how do i get the best performance?

Linux or Windows?

Will it take advantage of the Quadro 2000 GPU?

3. Should i run Emby on both at the same time? Let my mobile devices use the QNAP, internal devices on the M4600?
would this cause any new grievance?
Anyway to improve QNAP performance in case i go down this road, if it means typing some lines in putty/terminal thats not a problem...

Best regards happy Premium-user since I noticed iOS offline was supported :D

Hi Luke, you must be the fastest and most engaged Admin on the web :D

Im experiencing poor performance on my QNAP 653A, at least less than I was hoping for. It runs hot as soon as more than one device needs transcoding, and it seems all my devices require transcoding.

I tried the beta first, changed to stable release later due to issues not related to performance.

VAAPI doesnt have any effect, other options have been tried to but doesnt seem to make any difference. I tried turning on/off the burn in subtitles option, doesnt seem to make a difference either.

Log.txt

Logtrans.txt

As far as general server browsing performance goes, the next release will perform considerably faster. If you need immediate relief you are welcome to try the beta.

Regarding transcoding, in this example it is burning in subtitles, and that will always be a very costly process. If you turn off the subtitles, or acquire external srt subtitles, then you will see vastly improved performance. In fact this video may not need to transcode at all anymore.

Does it require a restart for changes have an effect?

Any answers for the rest of my questions? Im really hoping to run 3 streams at the same time without any issues

Sorry does what require a restart?

As far as playing without transcoding, yes in many cases this is possible, and the apps will always direct play when they can.

Our Apple TV app is currently limited to Apple supported formats which means anything else will require transcoding. We are currently working on a custom player which will be able to direct play just about everything.

Regarding the laptop, does it have more horsepower than the qnap? That's really the question of whether it would be better or not.

I turned off subtitles in the Apple TV player, I also turned on the option for extration on the fly... Does the server require a reboot for the new changes to take effect(?)

The laptop has a powerfull i7 CPU with 8 threads - from 2011

https://ark.intel.com/products/52237/Intel-Core-i7-2920XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3-50-GHz-

Any chance it can use the GPU as well?

Would GPU utilization be better/worse depending on OS?

I will be running it only for Emby, so I can install whatever option gives the best performance.... that is why im asking now rather than later :)

Oh! By the way: Will be awesome with a better Apple app, I like how the Apple TV works well with my other stuff

Edited by aNiclas

No, a reboot is not required.

With that i7, although the CPU is nice, the GPU is pretty old. I'm not sure how well that will perform, but that CPU is powerful enough that you might be OK with that.

the GPU is not the Intel onboard-stuff, its a Quadro 2000M... old, but wasnt bad at the time :)

Any special steps to make sure it uses the GPU? Is it likely that Windows performance will be equal to Linux? Any particular HW Acceleration i need to select?

Manufacturer NVIDIA Codename Fermi Architecture Fermi Pipelines 192 - unified Core Speed 550 MHz Shader Speed 1100 MHz Memory Speed 900 MHz Memory Bus Width 128 Bit Memory Type DDR3 Max. Amount of Memory 2048 MB Shared Memory no DirectX DirectX 11, Shader 5.0 technology 40 nm Features OpenGl 4.1, FP32 Notebook Size medium sized Date of Announcement 22.02.2011 = 2816 days old

Quadro is nvidia so you would just enable that option. I don't think it will differ much between windows and linux.

Info: installed emby on a updated W7 install.

Enabled HW acceleration, transcoding now with CPU usage not even visible in the task manager, only thing moving is the network graph.

Will try with 10+ sessions later to see if the GPU offloads to CPU once its maxed out