Performance suffering on DS918+

PollackNC

PollackNC

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why I am having performance issues on my DS918+ when playing movies on my Roku 3 with subtitles enabled.

I have hardware transcoding turned on using VA API, and I see in my DiskStation console that CPU is running about 20% or so. It's certainly not struggling as far as I can tell.

I've followed some suggestions here and turned off DLNA, and I've tried a few other settings such as turning off 'Allow subtitle extraction on the fly'. 

Movies will sometimes play for a few minutes, and then I get a "Loading" bar. Sometimes the bar flashes briefly, but sometimes it last five or 10 seconds before the movie resumes.

I've attached the embyserver log file. Please let me know if you see anything obvious that would cause problems with my setup.

Thanks,

-Jason-

embyserver.txt

This format of subtitles has to be burned in with transcoding and that is a very costly process. To improve performance, try turning off the subtitles, and/or using external srt subtitles instead. Our subtitle download feature can help you acquire srt subtitles.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

PollackNC

Is this because it's trying to burn in pgs subtitles that are embedded in the stream? If so, is there any way to disable that as an option for my library so that pgs subtitles don't appear as a choice?

Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

But one thing you could do is configure your emby user subtitle preferences to never show subtitles by default.

PollackNC

Unfortunately subtitles are a main concern, because my wife is deaf.

But when I am home this evening I will try with the external SRT subtitles to see if the situation improves.

Is there any way in the UI to determine the format of the embedded subtitles? I see in the 'Edit Subtitles' dialog that I have 'Eng' but cannot tell what format they are in for any movie.

Thank you!

Currently the only place we display the format is on the bottom of the detail screen in the web app. It's not used in the subtitle selection dialogs. We can try to work it in there, to be honest it just doesn't look great seeing the codec name.

PollackNC

Well what I meant was specifically in the Edit Subtitles dialog, so that I can tell whether I would even need to download external SRTs for movies that only have PGS.

FrostByte

Well what I meant was specifically in the Edit Subtitles dialog, so that I can tell whether I would even need to download external SRTs for movies that only have PGS.

There are some pretty good programs out there that will convert your PGS to srt (or any other format) for free.  I use Subtitle Edit

https://www.nikse.dk/