Problem playing Dolby Vision Content

bfds89

Hi there.

I've been using emby for the past few days, and I've been enjoying it.

There's one problem that I couldn´t figured it out.

I've got some 4k blurays on my digital library that support Dolby Vision (mp4 and mkv), but they appear on emby library as HDR only and when playing them they are played as HDR only also.

It woul be nice to be able to use DV. I tried a LG demo and it works well in DV.

What could be the problem?

Thank you for your help.

Hi, that's just how Emby displays the description on the detail page. We can look at adding DV to that.

Having said that though, playback is something that LG handles for us automatically so I'm not entirely sure what we can do. How exactly did you do the LG demo on the TV?

@@SamES can look into this.

Can you please confirm during playback whether it is direct playing or transcoding?

Can you please confirm during playback whether it is direct playing or transcoding?

It is direct playing, I'm making sure that's always the case.

I used this Dolby Vision Demo fot testing purposes and it worked (I copied the file into my movie library):

https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

But when playing the movie Last Jedi for example, which has DV, it plays using HDR instead.

Edited by bfds89

It is direct playing, I'm making sure that's always the case.

I used this Dolby Vision Demo fot testing purposes and it worked (I copied the file into my movie library):

https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

But when playing the movie Last Jedi for example, which has DV, it plays using HDR instead.

Are you sure there is Dolby Vision in your copy of the Last Jedi? Is this an mkv file? I'm asking because last time I checked there was no way to rip the Dolby Vision metadata from a UHD HDR disc to an mkv file.

Are you sure there is Dolby Vision in your copy of the Last Jedi? Is this an mkv file? I'm asking because last time I checked there was no way to rip the Dolby Vision metadata from a UHD HDR disc to an mkv file.

Ok, what about rip DV metadata to an mp4 file (this is other example of a movie that is supposed to support DV)?

Is there currently no way of include DV metada from bluray?

Thanks.

Ok, what about rip DV metadata to an mp4 file (this is other example of a movie that is supposed to support DV)?

Is there currently no way of include DV metada from bluray?

Thanks.

As far as I know the Dolby Vision metadata can only be preserved by ripping to m2ts, iso or bdmv folder structure unless this has changed recently. All three those formats are not that well supported on most players though...

• Like 1

I do confirm. I only get DV when playing the TS files from Emby. I use the same demo files.

I didn't get DV when playing movie MKV or mp4 files supposed to be DV. 

No issue with Emby then but with the container. 

Edited by romaing

• 1 month later...
Paul77nz

My understanding was that no-one has figured out how to reverse engineer Dolby Vision, and that currently the only way to get a rip with working DV was if it was a full disc rip - and even then only a jail-broken Oppo 203 player will play it.

You CAN mux the DV stream into an MKV, but it is not currently playable on any device in that format that I am aware of.

If anyone has any newer info on this i'd be interested to hear about it, as I am no expert so the above is just my limited understanding of the situation.

Edited by Paul77nz

• 3 months later...
rbjtech

..an old post so things may have changed but I am playing an mp4 4K HDR Dolby Vision encode via Emby and it is playing perfectly in Dolby Vision as indicated on the TV.

It appears this is the tool to properly re-mux Dolby Vision ..  :)

https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base

Edited by rbjtech

• 4 years later...

Things have changed.  Emby plays Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (dynamic HDR) files fine with the proper hardware.  And you can have both present with proper hardware fallback given the appropriate profile.  The tools needed are hdr10plus_tool_extract and dovi_tool.  I'm using a TCL 6 series TV and a 2019 Shield to test.  Have also tested Emby with a Samsung TV and Shield that only supports HDR10+.  Dolby Vision is better, but HDR10+ also working fine.