Suggestions - Not updaing with new content since 3.5.3.0-16

unisoft

unisoft

Suggestions do not seem to update anymore since update 3.5.3.0-16 and 3.5.3.0-18 went onto my Synology 12 bay DS2415+.

I've copied about 20 new movies over a couple of days and nothing shows up in Suggestions, and they are viewable in normal library.

I've used latest Emby Theatre, Android App, Web App and LG TV 1.09 client to check and they are all having the same issue.

Is this a known issue?

unisoft

Before Synology Emby update, I copy MKVs to the NAS server, they show up as new content under Suggestions and Latest Movies.

After update, these sections simply don't update anymore; despite all being same format with metadata etc (i.e. no changes in standard process)?

NAS restarted, Emby restarted. NAS is on latest 6.2.x DSM version (same as before).

unisoft

I'm expecting to see latest movies section updated with cover art of new titles copied like it did before update....

There is always a reason for this. have you explored your emby user preferences that affect what content shows up in latest?

Have you explored the date added value in the metadata editor for each of your titles?

unisoft

Surely it's automatic as it worked before the update???

Should I have to change date added? I've never done that before.

User Prefs are fine.

unisoft

So got to the bottom of what is causing this (sort of):

The date and time and timezone 100% correct on Synology AND the Windows 10 client used to copy files to the NAS Server.

Upon copying - completely wrong dates for DECEMEBER 2018 are entered under the META DATA 'Added' attribute.

If I put the titles that were "stuck" back in time, and change the ACTUAL new titles to todays date then it all works like expected it should.

Is this a date conversion bug? The newest titles said 11/06/18 and the date picker when entered then said a different date - but it could be one is shown as American and then the correct regionalisation when the picker UI is entered?

I'll monitor for now - but I genuinely hadn't done a thing - and I have copied NEW movies over almost daily - yet the dates were all odd that the system THOUGHT they were added. So in effect the December 2018 dated ones were still in the future as such and that's why they got "stuck"

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

Yes I've been doing XML data for years :) That gets converted to the internal meta engine as the XMl add-in is present (and I know only too well of its strict rules).

here's what happened today:

1. Both Windows 10 and Synology DS2415+ NAS had same timezone, date and time

2. Copied NEW title over to NAS box and did a scan for new titles

3. New title appears in correct genre and visible with all meta data intact

4. I go into the METADATA manager, it says "Date Added: 09/11/2018"

5. I click the date picker in that field and it the says "11/09/2018" (i.e. date switched and now month is September instead of November)

Number 5 is the reason it doesn't show up in Suggestions as it would be older than other content added?

• 3 weeks later...
unisoft

Ok this IS a bug of some sort.

XML says 01-12-2018 meaing 1st Dec 2018

Scan in library (with XML add-in) scans in as "12-01-2018" - if you go into metadata manager it confirms it in the date picker GUI.

Its swapping month and day around on scan for UK format dates.

It looks like the xml plugin is parsing dates using the date format of your server machine, so you need to make sure the date/time locale settings on the server machine are correct.

solabc16

Hello All

I'm just going to monitor this for now, but do run the 'Send Logs' utility and post the reference here : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Everything on the server side, including any plugins, should be processing dates in a locale agnostic date format (e.g. ISO 8601).

Locale specific formatting should be for presentation only, from what has been described above something appears to not be following well established guidelines / making assumptions.

Best

- James

unisoft

Checked Synology NAS - its all set for English UK regional. Date in XML is UK format. Library scan reads it as US (or the XML plugin?). Metadata GUI confirms it as month and year wrong way round.

Edited by unisoft

Everything on the server side, including any plugins, should be processing dates in a locale agnostic date format (e.g. ISO 8601).

It is, however the xml plugin is based on a decade old xml metadata format that stored dates in the xml using local date formats, not any standardized utc format. This makes parsing the xml very difficult because if you create the xml on system A, then try to read it from system B, both of those systems better have the same locale settings or there will be problems.

This is one of the many reasons we try to steer users towards the newer nfo format, and why we keep saying that the xml format is legacy, only community maintained, etc.

solabc16

It is, however the xml plugin is based on a decade old xml metadata format that stored dates in the xml using local date formats, not any standardized utc format. This makes parsing the xml very difficult because if you create the xml on system A, then try to read it from system B, both of those systems better have the same locale settings or there will be problems.

This is one of the many reasons we try to steer users towards the newer nfo format, and why we keep saying that the xml format is legacy, only community maintained, etc.

Does this apply in your case @@unisoft? Does the legacy XML format contain the locale from which the date originated?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

unisoft

The XML has a UK formatted date in it.

The 12/12/2018 imported correctly though probably because day and month were same values.

unisoft

Hi Luke

I get that nfo is the now way. You have to remember that lots of us were Media Browser users (and loved it!) with large libraries and it takes a few years for us to go over and normally because of things like Windows updates that broke blu ray playback in Arcsoft Total Media Theatre and end of life for Windows Media Center for Win 7 and in 2023 for Windows 8.1.

At the moment, my meta data app creates more data tags when creating XML than when it does NFO and there doesn't seem to be a wiki that states what tags you actually import into the database. As a result, new media has been created with XML with fuller tag meta data and then scanned into library as a refresh.

I can live with the bugs rather than you take away the XML plugin though! I think that would damage an influx of migrations you are yet to have as a lot of MB users will migrate later when they realise WMC is a dead horse....