LiveTV doesn't work if Emby Server is running on Windows Server or LTSC

echoxxzz

echoxxzz

If Emby Server is installed on Windows 10 LTSC, Windows Server 2016 or Server 2019 than LiveTV doesn't work in Emby Theatre. All you get is a spinning green circle when you try to play a channel. Oddly enough I can play LiveTV using Emby for Android or Emby HTML just not via Emby Theatre. If I take my Emby Server folder and copy it to a Windows 10 1803 PC LiveTV works just fine in Emby Theatre. Even tried doing a clean install of Emby Theatre on Windows 10 LTSC and just added in my m3u file and nada in Emby Theatre. 

Anyone else using LiveTV with Emby Server installed on anything but a full blown version of Windows 10?

echoxxzz
I'm stumped why Emby Theatre doesn't do LiveTV.  I've done clean installations of Emby Theatre 3.5.3.0 on every version of Windows 10 (starting with 1607) on my Dell Xeon PC and I can never get Emby Theatre to play a LiveTV channel yet LiveTV works perfectly using HTML5 or Emby for Android. I've tried two other computers and a Virtual VMware installation and neither of them work either. The only place it works reliable is when I run Emby Server on my ancient ASUS laptop running Windows 10 1607 and I cannot deduce why it works in this environment only.

I would love to hear from anyone who's actually using LiveTV in Emby Theatre and what O/S version you are using.

I've attached my Emby Server log for inspection but nothing glaring jumps out to me.

embyserver.txt

echoxxzz
I think I have figured out what is going on and why LiveTV isn't working using Emby Theatre.

If I manually start Emby Theatre in a command prompt using the following command:

C:\Emby\x64\electron\electron.exe C:\Emby\electronapp C:\Emby\data\electron C:\Emby\cec\cec-client.x64.exe C:\Emby\x64\mpv\mpv.exe

when I play a movie, a TV show or a even a music file, ET immediately connects to my Emby Server's IP address.

(sample output): 

But when I click on a LiveTV channel, Emby Theatre is trying to connect to my local loopback address:

If I wait long enough (and I mean 5 to 10 minutes) than I get this debug output and the channel starts playing:

After a lot of testing, it seems this weird behavior of trying to connect to the loop back address started in version 2.9.9. Any version older than 2.9.9 (personally I found 2.9.4 works best!!!) immediately connects to the Emby Server's IP Address and never tries to connect to the loopback address and LiveTV works perfectly!!!!

This would explain why I thought ET was only able to play LiveTV when I loaded Emby Server on my laptop. It's because I was also using ET on the same laptop and that first connection to the loopback address is probably connecting.

I don't have the patients to wait 5-10 minutes for a LiveTV channel to start so I'll just go back to using 2.9.4 and disable auto updates until this gets fixed.

Edited by echoxxzz
  • Like 1

echoxxzz

I sent you the connection info you'll need in a private message.

Edited by echoxxzz

Alternatively you can also try the beta server as it has numerous changes. Just be aware that if you do that, you can't roll back. Thanks.

echoxxzz

The problem isn't with the server but I did try the latest beta before I determined its the Emby Theatre app itself.

It's the Emby Theatre app that is trying to make the connection to the loopback address that is causing the problem.

Just try and start the ET without using the exe wrapper and you'll see it trying to connect to the loopback before it properly connects to the Emby Server.

It's definitely the problem because it works perfectly using HTML5  or  Emby for Android & iOS.

I sent you a link to my M3U file in a private message.

Edited by echoxxzz

Your sample worked for me on the first try. Please try again with the next release of Emby Server. Thanks.

echoxxzz

In your test was Emby Server and Emby Theatre app installed on the same machine or two different machines? 

Also what server version did you use?

I want to try and duplicate your setup so I can use the latest version of ET.

Edited by echoxxzz

echoxxzz

I just setup the latest beta server, imported the same M3U I sent you.

If I start ET on the same machine as the server (connecting to the private IP address and not the loopback) a LiveTV channel starts immediately but the connection from ET is only using the loopback address.

Using ET on a separate machine same problem. Long delay trying to connect to the loopback address before it times out and properly connects to the IP Address of the server.

When your connected to an Emby server that's not the same device as your ET, do you see ET trying to connect to the loopback address before it properly connects to the remote Emby Servers IP address?

Just don't understand why my installs (and friends that I have asked to test) all have see this same behavior.

horstepipe

I just setup the latest beta server, imported the same M3U I sent you.

If I start ET on the same machine as the server (connecting to the private IP address and not the loopback) a LiveTV channel starts immediately but the connection from ET is only using the loopback address.

Using ET on a separate machine same problem. Long delay trying to connect to the loopback address before it times out and properly connects to the IP Address of the server.

When your connected to an Emby server that's not the same device as your ET, do you see ET trying to connect to the loopback address before it properly connects to the remote Emby Servers IP address?

Just don't understand why my installs (and friends that I have asked to test) all have see this same behavior.

Hey

Could you please do me a favor and check whether you face the same problem in Kodi when using the Emby for Kodi beta and try to access a m3u channel with it?

I think I‘m seeing the same issue about Kodi trying to access the 127.0.0.1 instead of my (external) server IP.

horstepipe

BTW I‘m pretty sure I had the same problem with Emby theater, but it was fixed/gone with one of the recent Emby server beta updates.

I've been lurking on this forum reading up on various threads to learn and to try to find solutions to issues. Decided to signup to chime in on the issue about having to wait for LiveTV posted by muppets4 that led me here.

Like echoxxzz and muppets4 playing a LiveTV channel takes a long time (initial and when switching channels). For me, it takes at least 5 minutes using Emby Theater  for Windows v 3.0.3

I tried downgrading to version 2.9.4, as suggested, and it did fix the issue for me. It isn't an ideal solution though because i'm missing out on tons of fixes since 2.9.4 (one major release down).

I think I have figured out what is going on and why LiveTV isn't working using Emby Theatre.

If I manually start Emby Theatre in a command prompt using the following command:

C:\Emby\x64\electron\electron.exe C:\Emby\electronapp C:\Emby\data\electron C:\Emby\cec\cec-client.x64.exe C:\Emby\x64\mpv\mpv.exe

when I play a movie, a TV show or a even a music file, ET immediately connects to my Emby Server's IP address.

(sample output): 

But when I click on a LiveTV channel, Emby Theatre is trying to connect to my local loopback address:

If I wait long enough (and I mean 5 to 10 minutes) than I get this debug output and the channel starts playing:

After a lot of testing, it seems this weird behavior of trying to connect to the loop back address started in version 2.9.9. Any version older than 2.9.9 (personally I found 2.9.4 works best!!!) immediately connects to the Emby Server's IP Address and never tries to connect to the loopback address and LiveTV works perfectly!!!!

This would explain why I thought ET was only able to play LiveTV when I loaded Emby Server on my laptop. It's because I was also using ET on the same laptop and that first connection to the loopback address is probably connecting.

I don't have the patients to wait 5-10 minutes for a LiveTV channel to start so I'll just go back to using 2.9.4 and disable auto updates until this gets fixed.

echoxxzz

I tried all the latest betas with no luck but the beta 3.6.0.61 posted a few hours ago has fixed this bug. 

The server is no longer telling my Emby Theatre to connect to the stream on the loopback address.

echoxxzz

Hey stettler that was just a red herring. I had the same problems on any version of Windows. The good news is that since 3.6.0.61 LiveTv is working properly.