Advice for Emby Library consisting of training videos?

VaporTrail

VaporTrail

I've got a pretty eclectic mix of training videos - from workout routines to how to play guitar, etc. Would love to access these through Emby as its own Media Library.

Here's a few questions. Any advice would be great!

1. Which Content Type would be best? TV Shows, Home Videos, or Mixed Content?

2. If there are PDF files associated with a training series, perhaps mixed content? I guess this also allows for audio-only courses...

3. How nested can the folder structure be? For instance I use: Training Library > Photography > Fundamentals > Photography 101 > videofile.ext

4. I'd want each course to have its own NFO file + typical artwork files. Is there a template I should use that Emby will recognize? I can't scrape the data...

5. Would it be possible to create my own genres within Emby's library sorting? ie. Fitness, Photography, Business, Music, Design, etc?

Would love to see an screenshot of someone else who's tried this idea.  :)

Edited by VaporTrail

Hi, probably home videos, but how are the files named?

How nested can the folder structure be? For instance I use: Training Library > Photography > Fundamentals > Photography 101 > videofile.ext

The current release server may have some issues. The next release and beta server will allow you to nest all you want.

VaporTrail

Thanks @@Luke,

Most of my files aren't named very well:

001 - Introduction

002 - Step 1

003 - Step 2

004 - Step 3 ...etc.

I tried Home Videos and it seems to display fine, though I didn't test with nested folders. I drilled down to a instructor name (much like TV Show title with Season folders).

I was hoping it would have some more filters and display options like TV Shows library. At least "Latest", "Genres", "Networks (aka Source)"... I realize I'd have to enter all this manually, but it's saving to the media folders, so would only have to do it once. Also, it would be great to have the option of Poster view to match other Media Library displays. Sure there's Banner, but I prefer Poster - especially as I'd have to create all artwork myself:

5bdd206aacece_EmbyTrainingVideosMissingC

The following image is what I expected with Home Videos when I entered my own meta description for my test program. I created a custom Genre, but it didn't display. Shuffle would be cool, same thing with custom Links, Network (Source), program description, backdrop image, etc. None of this stuff is available in Home Videos:

5bdd21d62666e_EmbyTrainingVideosMissingM

Here's what I did get with my test Home Videos Media Library. I like the ScreenGrabber service, it's great! Unfortunately long titles get cutoff, and no tooltip displays on hover. Additionally any metadata description I enter for an item doesn't get displayed in the few configuration views available:

5bdd22fbe5bc1_EmbyTrainingVideosBasicDis

Hope you find this feedback at all useful. I'm hoping also future stable server releases can incorporate functions from TV Shows/Movies library types.

• 2 months later...

@Luke:

I have the same use case for using Emby (actually, I just bought Emby just for my training video folder). However, I have noticed when I download files or folders for offline use, the Apps (e.g. the iPad app) does not reflect the folder structure any more, but all downloaded videos are flat. Because my files are named as badly as VaporTrails, this becomes a mixed up mess. Is there any chance that you provide folder-based browsing for offline videos as well in the apps?

Also, I haven't figured out to what degree offline videos in the apps sync their positions and played/unplayed status when the app becomes connected to the Emby server again. I have a couple of training video sets that contain hundreds of videos that I want to watch offline when I'm on business trips in a train (as there is practically no connectivity in trains here). It would be pretty annoying to mark all the videos I have watched offline manually afterwards.

Also, I haven't figured out to what degree offline videos in the apps sync their positions and played/unplayed status when the app becomes connected to the Emby server again.

The next time the app sync with the server, this information will be sent to the server as well. This should generally happen a few times a day. Thanks.

• Like 1