Error in Screen Grabber extracting images

patje57
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Hi,

In trying out Emby Server on Synology DS415play. Emby 3.5.3.0-16 and DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1

When scanning new movie files, local content without any reference in TMDB, the images aren't generated, just get a grey / black screen.

In the server log there seems FFMPEG related error (relevant part of the log attached).

I've switched to the Synology FFMPEG version to benefit from H/W transcoding.

On a DS218+ I've access to, the test scan extracts the images as should be, so the issue is specific to the DS415play.

Anyone else having the same issue and/or a solution?

Thanks,

Patje

Server log.rtf

Hi, occasionally this will fail with certain files. This is nothing to be alarmed about. You can always manually specify an image.

Thanks @@Luke

If it was only 1 file out of the 151 in the folder, I agree with you it is occasionally. Problem is that for none of the files the images are extracted, 0 successes out of 151 files in the test folder is definitely not occasional fail.

I know i can add manually pictures, but that isn't something i want to do on that many incidences. DS Video Station, Plex and Emby on the DS218+ can create the previews without any issue, why should Emby on the DS415play be different?  

BR, Patje

With default ffmpeg the previews are extracted ok.

Will use as a workaround.

Btw, i very much like the possibility to add / edit all metadata

BR, patje

Issue not solved with the 3.5.3.0-18 update, no previews generated when switching to the Synology provided ffmpeg. Thought the ability to make that switch is part of the h/w transcoding solution offered for evansport based DS.

This makes me wonder if this option will survive in next major release or else how this will be handled. @@Luke is this something you can elaborate on?

Thanks, Patje

Thanks Luke,

Please keep in mind that the h/w transcoding solution performs quite well on the DS415play, it would be a pitty to see it disappear in the future.

Best, Patje

• Solution
solabc16

Hello @@patje57

Getting the most out of the 'evansport' based systems is a little bit experimental in nature and a best efforts endeavour, as you'll see from my comments and discussions elsewhere in the forum.

There are probably some improvements we can make, by being more dynamic in how we switch between the two versions of FFmpeg; this is something we can look at after the next release cycle.

The limitation is caused by the customisations made to support h/w transcoding on this platform not being committed back to the opensource project, so we have to use the pre-installed 2.x binaries.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Thank you James @@solabc16

Your efforts are very much appreciated and i believe to understand (at least a little) why this isn't an easy solution. Neither do i understand why Synology isn't contributing back their customizations to the project.

Anyhow to get the full Emby experience, I've moved testing to a more recent DS 218+ and i'm impressed with Emby's capibilities so far. As with each piece of software all isn't perfect, but Emby seems best fit to my needs. Just waiting for you guy's to release 3.6 before making the move and migrate my iTunes library + uncatalogued files. Undecided on which DS it will be.

On the problem itself, it is not a big issue to SSH and run the script, so that workaround is pretty acceptable; so there is certainly no urgency to further look into.

Good luck with the roll out of the next release;

Patje

solabc16

Hello @@patje57

Thanks for the update and feedback, the 'evansport' systems were almost a brilliant step in the right direction (at the time).

If you don't need transcoding, then it's still a very capable system; if you do, then as you've seen it needs a little effort.

My preferred approach is to always try and setup the system so as to avoid transcoding wherever possible and only use it as a fallback to deal with the exceptions.

The DS218+ is a very capable machine and I have no doubt you'll have a good experience on that platform.

Keep us posted...

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Thanks for the sound advise @@solabc16, having started with iTunes, a lot are already in the right format, but want to add (and gradually convert) older files from when DivX codec was pretty much the encoding standard to the catalog as well.

Anyhow, I'm going for Emby on the DS218+. Future looking, this makes most sense. Any chance you can add me to the Synology pre-release / beta channel?

Thanks a lot, Patje