Cannot log into (remote) server

Coxeroni

Coxeroni

I recently set up a new remote server on a VPS including reverse proxy and all, but now I face the issue that I cannot log into it with my Shield TV app. I get the error that user or password is wrong, which is not the case because it also does not work with a user without password. I specify the server address manually, which works, and I can see the server's users. But as I said, can't log in.

I can login from web-browser and Android mobile just fine.

I have the current beta app for Android TV I guess and current beta server 3.6.0.58 which runs in a docker on a Ubuntu host.

If it helps I can supply server logs, client logs are hard to get when you cannot even log in ;)

Coxeroni

Not sure if the reverse proxy will work then, it specially forwards to the SSL port. Also, every other client (including Android mobile) work with that configuration...

The mobile app is able to ignore some certificate errors that the TV app cannot.

Is the certificate installed and recognized on the Shield?

The first thing you might want to do is search the Linux forum section for SSL and Fire TV because there are some Linux systems that do not deliver then entire certificate chain (without additional configuration) and this can cause the client's to reject them.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

Coxeroni

Checked the respective threads and as far as I can tell, my problem is different:

I CAN connect, there is no complaint when connecting to my server's url but I get a wrong user/password error AFTER connecting...

I try to connect and check the server's log if I can find anything...

Coxeroni

I just uploaded the client log, because that obviously also works before logging in.

And this is what I found in the log:

2018-11-01 18:50:40.055 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 93.230.210.18. Time: 2ms. http://xxx:8096/emby/Users/Public?format=json

2018-11-01 18:51:00.958 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://xxx:8096/emby/Users/AuthenticateByName?format=json. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 8.0.0; SHIELD Android TV Build/OPR6.170623.010)

2018-11-01 18:51:00.959 Error HttpServer: Access token is required

Coxeroni

After changing the advanced settings (properly adding public ports and URL) I was finally able to connect via emby connect. Still no luck with direct connect by the way.

But now when I try to play files, the video starts but the OSD stays over the video and the spinner keeps spinning. Same video works flawlessly with external player when started through emby.

Any ideas?

Coxeroni

Feeling even more stupid now...

Reinstalled emby (did I have the beta before that?) and now it works flawlessly.

Sorry for disturbing you guys with my shit that I obviously didn't have together ;)

Hmmm... That's interesting.

I'm not sure what was going on there.

I was thinking maybe your reverse-proxy was stripping out some of our post data.  Did you also change any settings at the network or proxy level?

Coxeroni

Nothing network related. Just the changes that I have posted here...

Btw i still can't login directly, just through emby connect.

Edited by Coxeroni

Coxeroni

I guess so... But it is showing an IP (the internal one of the docker) instead of the domain or the external IP. Dunno why...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Can you please provide details on the exact issue now because you stated the previous issue was solved.

Reinstalled emby (did I have the beta before that?) and now it works flawlessly.

Sorry for disturbing you guys with my shit that I obviously didn't have together ;)

Coxeroni

I see, I was too unspecific, my bad:
What works:
- login with emby connect user
- playing stuff

What does not work:
- login with local user
- changing watched status (with emby connect user)

The error message of the failed login I posted above (access token required). For the watched status I will dig into my logs.

I emphasise again, that the login problem is solely an Android TV problem, other platforms have no issues.

Edited by Coxeroni

Coxeroni

Well when asked for a server I specify my server's domain without a port and after that I either select the shown user and the password or enter the user myself. Both options lead to the same error.

Exactly what do you enter for the server?

If your server requires SSL, you would need to enter https:// in front of the domain.

Coxeroni

Well, I enter sub.domain.tld without anything extra and since this brought me to the login I though the connection is fine (my server also registers the login attempt). But if it makes a difference, I will test with https in front later just to be sure.

Thanks for your efforts by the way.

Coxeroni

Really, https and that's it? It works with that, damn I thought because I could connect without that it wouldn't be an issue. On other platforms that was not needed... Thanks for pointing this out! I can login now :)

Since it is a remote server I can't use PIN to login I guess. Is there any chance to avoid having to enter the password again everytime I switch users? I don't want to put a too insecure password but inputting it with a remote hurts my thumb and makes the wife angry :)

Auto login into the family account on startup works so this is not bad.