Interconnected TV Series

peharbison
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

peharbison

Maybe I'm just not seeing the correct set of options, but here's the issue I'm dealing with:

A user wants to watch all of the "Arrowverse" shows, which include Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends. At several points in those series, they overlap and cross-over. So the order in which the episodes should be watched is based on the premiere dates of episodes in ALL of these series, not just one of them. (It occurs to me that another historical example would Buffy and Angel...)

At first glance, it seems this calls for the introduction of something similar to the Collections in Movies, so that related series can be identified, and the "Play All" option would switch between series as needed to view content in the correct order. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all the great work so far!

• Like 2

peharbison

So assuming you're not implying that I spend a couple hours manually adding the individual episodes (for four series that are still in progress), as that is the exact kind of work I'm looking to a computer to save me from: Are there sort and filter options available within a playlist that I'm not seeing? Because simply adding the four series to a playlist means the episodes are in series order, not premiere date across the entire playlist.

snodrog742

This is something we were after for the "Chicago" series (Med, PD, Fire, etc.). I was only able to accomplish it with Plex.

• Solution

With the next release of the server you'll have an easier time creating and managing collections of TV series.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

So assuming you're not implying that I spend a couple hours manually adding the individual episodes (for four series that are still in progress), as that is the exact kind of work I'm looking to a computer to save me from: Are there sort and filter options available within a playlist that I'm not seeing? Because simply adding the four series to a playlist means the episodes are in series order, not premiere date across the entire playlist.

no that’s exactly what I’m implying. It’s the only way of doing what you want at present. I don’t think it’s right, I have a similar open request for playlist reordering to be respected so I can manually create a playlist for the marvel cinematic universe

EpsilonLiege

no that’s exactly what I’m implying. It’s the only way of doing what you want at present. I don’t think it’s right, I have a similar open request for playlist reordering to be respected so I can manually create a playlist for the marvel cinematic universe

Also I think there could be a few bugs. I just tried to re-order my playlist and the re-order won't save...

• 7 months later...
jackandjohn

Related to this older feature request as well: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31950-crossover-tv-series/

Having just gone through this myself for the Star Trek universe, I suggested a "Collection view" that shows all items in order of release date.

That way it would be a matter of adding each show and movie to the collection: crossovers automatically line up.

post-430583-0-05623500-1562005956_thumb.png

Here's that feature request in case that sounds interesting to viewers of this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74995-add-a-collection-view-all-videos-tv-and-movies-mixed/

• 2 months later...
rbjtech

The only way I can currently see to half elegantly solving this is to merge the crossovers into a single video (mkvtoolnix>Append), copy to each series and then edit the metadata to reflect the change.  At least you get to see the story as intended - and if you have already seen it on another series, then simply skip to the next episode.

Linking the crossovers properly would be a great feature and as said above, this is becoming more and more popular.

5d81811b2008c_supergirlcrossover.png   

• 1 year later...