Failed download to External Storage

MidKnight

Mike-G

Same problem here (Galaxy S10).  I did a download to the phone's internal storage that completes in about 10 seconds. Trying to download to external storage the dashboard on the PC shows transfer of 0% and seems to hang there (for several minutes until I cancel the download).  File Manager looking at external storage on the phone shows the folders being created on the SD card, but actual media file transfer doesn't happen.  Restarts of phone/emby/transfer make no difference as long as destination is external storage. Switching back to internal storage and transfer goes fine, once again.

Hopefully, this will have a fix before too long (a most sincere "please" for a fix for this). Until then, is there any known work-around?  I don't have enough internal storage to hold the media files I'm hoping to put on the phone.

Edit: I attached the end of the embyserver.txt log that was being written during the "Transferring 0%" was going on, in case that helps. 10.9.1.1 is my pc/server; 10.5.1.1 is my S10.

EmbyLog.txt

Edited by Mike-G

• 4 weeks later...
Mike-G

I've been trying to find some workaround for this and discovered something peculiar.  Maybe this will provide a clue to the dev team....or maybe lead us to a stop-gap solution until the issue can be resolved.

When I mounted my Galaxy S10 as a drive on Windows 10, I could copy desktop files to the internal storage fine, but when I tried to copy files to the SD card, Windows Explorer hung -- strangely similar to what seems to happen when trying to download Emby files to the SD card.  However, once the files were placed on the phone's internal storage, I could copy them to the SD card using Android's "My Files" app.

So maybe there's some strangeness with Android that prevents files from being placed directly onto the SD card (at least the way Windows and Emby are currently trying to do it)??

revengineer

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS DELAY, IT HAS BEEN EIGHT (8) MONTHS SINCE DOWNLOADS BROKE.

Edited by revengineer
  • Like 1

Thanks for working on this. Its an important one for me, and it sounds like it was once working, so hopefully the clues are there to fix. While you're at it, i don't know the expected behavior since i only just became premiere, but it would be great to be able to download directly to the phone's usb otg connected storage as well. Then i could carry it right to my tablet for viewing without the extra step of having to copy it there from internal local or internal sd storage. Thanks

Edited by Wotu

tempusfugate

If it helps anyone, I am running Emby Server on MacOS High Sierra, and using Pixel and Lenovo tablet as clients. I couldn't get Sync to work (stuck on Ready for Transfer). Then I updated my library and removed the optional shared network path (the SMB or \\server\share syntax). After removing the queued downloads, new downloads started working.

• 2 weeks later...
F1nchy

Not working for me on my Samsung galaxy S3 tab either, just gets sync unsuccessful errors when trying to sync to sd card. I unencrypted it to see if they made any difference but nada. Really annoying, was trying to get a load of kids shows on to keep my two year old entertained in the car on a long journey, having to resort to iplayer now

I am on the beta, btw

Edited by F1nchy

Not working for me on my Samsung galaxy S3 tab either, just gets sync unsuccessful errors when trying to sync to sd card. I unencrypted it to see if they made any difference but nada. Really annoying, was trying to get a load of kids shows on to keep my two year old entertained in the car on a long journey, having to resort to iplayer now

I am on the beta, btw

Please use the testing thread for discussion. Thanks.

No change for me either. Still doesn't download to External Storage.

Using Wi-fi connection.

Emby version: 3.0.68 (BETA)

Exact same behavior as experienced with the stable version.

Galaxy S9, Android version: 9, Kernel version: 4.9.112-15611914

Does download fine to Internal Storage.

No error messages come up.

No "logs" dir created in Android/data/com.mb.android/files

No files written to External SD's Android/data/com.mb.android/files.

External SD is not encrypted.

No apparent errors that I can see in server logs.

Let me know if you need me to search server logs for something specific or attach. And if so, which.Thanks.

Edited by Wotu

No change for me either. Still doesn't download to External Storage.

Using Wi-fi connection.

Emby version: 3.0.68 (BETA)

Exact same behavior as experienced with the stable version.

Galaxy S9, Android version: 9, Kernel version: 4.9.112-15611914

Does download fine to Internal Storage.

No error messages come up.

No "logs" dir created in Android/data/com.mb.android/files

No files written to External SD's Android/data/com.mb.android/files.

External SD is not encrypted.

No apparent errors that I can see in server logs.

Let me know if you need me to search server logs for something specific or attach. And if so, which.Thanks.

Please use the testing thread. Thanks.

woogiboogi

There are improvements in the app's beta channel if you'd like to help test those out:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76604-android-mobile-3069-new-download-manager/

Thanks.

The new update looks like it works. The files are being downloaded to the external card. It also fixed an issue with the public app: the converted videos were cropped to 16:9, setting the correct aspect ratio didn't change the cropping. But that's solved now. 

I have a Kyocera Duraforce 2. 

• 3 weeks later...