Mobile Server Options?

BrianG

I think I recall making a thread about something like this a while back but can't seem to find it, so apologies for any duplicated question.

Next summer, the family and I are planning a summer vacation to various locations via RV. Between destinations, I'd like to have the option for members to watch media like they do from Emby at home. No incessant "Are we there yet", or "I'm bored" from the kids would make for a much more pleasant trip, lol.

Some requirements/comments:

• Minimal power requirement. Like under 100w total (~9A@12vDC or ~0.9A @120AC via inverter) for server, drive, and wireless connectivity. So something that will plug into a cig lighter or the onboard 120v AC outlet (which has a 150w limit).
  • Physically small. Something that would fit in a shoe box.
  • No transcoding. All my media is in MP4 form and is already natively playable in Android or Windows. If a title can't play for some reason, then the user simply can't watch it (they would get an error message or something). I don't care about Apple compatibility.
  • Simple to operate with minimal fiddling once set up. Just apply power and press a button to boot up. Push a button (then remove power) to shut down.
  • Will be using a single 4TB notebook style USB drive (bus powered) for media storage.
  • Would like to be able to direct stream up to 4 different titles at once. I realize this depends greatly on the USB drive throughput.
  • I plan to set up a spare wireless router for connectivity for devices to the server. No internet of course (unless at home). Already have an old Netgear WNR1000v3 device that should work fine.
  • People would use their phone/tablet/laptop to connect to Wifi via the router and then enter the server IP address to access emby. Or might try to configure the router to automatically send any new connection to Emby.

Was looking at a Pi, but not sure if it will be sufficient; not sure if the USB port can supply enough power to the external drive, and I've read the shut down sequence needs to be followed (can't just power off). Also, I'd prefer a Windows-based setup if possible. So, was looking at something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refurbished-prodesk-desktop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive/6254769.p?skuId=6254769

Ideas?

Volfan6415

If you aren’t transcoding because you have made sure to have all files in the right file

formats there is no need for something that powerful and a raspberry pi would be more than sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
darksun9210

i'm in the midst of re-purposing my old dell latitude E6430 laptop for exactly this reason.

it's a bit of a beast, main power draw rated at over 120watts, but i have an official Dell 12volt vehicle and air power adapters unused since new, plus it's got built in wifi, big disk, etc. The idea being that a tablet device can connect to the laptop's ad-hoc wifi, and run up the emby app to play back all the media. purely on the local wifi network, without internet access required.

we did a multi day trip across Europe a few months back with a couple of toddlers. and even though i'd pre-burnt a load of DVD's for backseat entertainment, we still had to get pretty good at reaching back from the front seats to switch disc/skip episode/play/pause etc. IR remotes are only any good for pointing direct at the receiver.

So anyway. so far.

laptop running emby server on Windows10pro

i've setup the onboard wifi as an "ad-hoc" network. connected a phone via a cable to allow external internet access via hotspot for the machine itself, not anything on the ad-hoc. also useful for teamviewer remote access for administration.

I've told Emby to "bind" itself on the ad-hoc network's localhost/gateway address, and on the laptop itself, I can launch the emby web interface with the correct IP address.

from another laptop, I am connected to the ad-hoc wifi, I have an IP on the same subnet as the Emby server, I can ping the emby server's IP, yet I cannot connect. when I type in the IP and port 8096 into a web browser, I get "forbidden" on the web page. I've checked the firewall settings and all inbound rules for emby server are there and working.

its late and I need to leave it there tonight, but will continue at somepoint soon time permitting. any further advice or thoughts most welcome.

[update]

my firewall rule was wrong by a digit. all working, time for sleep. test without internet later

Edited by darksun9210

darksun9210

yeah it works great! tested in "user acceptance mode" with an ipad-loaded 3yr old on the laptop's ad-hoc wifi, plugged into the car, without any other live internet connection. was actually quite pleased I tried something mildly technical and it didn't end in disaster!

quick semi-related question.

I have my home server with a lifetime emby premire license. would I need to buy another one for the car's server? I've not tried putting my serial code in - in case I zap my existing home installation. I'm pretty sure I will need to buy another key but just want to be 100%. 

Happy2Play

quick semi-related question.

I have my home server with a lifetime emby premire license. would I need to buy another one for the car's server? I've not tried putting my serial code in - in case I zap my existing home installation. I'm pretty sure I will need to buy another key but just want to be 100%. 

No this is not a issue.

darksun9210

Perfect thanks! :)

off topic, my homeserver (Windows Server Essentials 2012) decided to eat its NTDS.dit database for breakfast last week. Thanks Microsoft for that in-built unrecoverable software grenade - a note to anyone running WSE2012, back it up!

As a result i'm going to re-deploy my "mobile server" to full active family duty with my current license key and see how it holds up.

SHSPVR
You maybe ok with USB 2.0 with 3 to 4 steam but I have never personal try testing this and wonder how min here have.

If you go the Raspberry Pi B+ route then go to newegg check out this option
Raspberry Pi X820 V3.0 2.5 inch SATA Storage Extension Board + DC 5V 4A Power Supply + Metal Case Kit
or
Raspberry Pi X830 3.5 inch SATA HDD Storage Board + 19V 2A Power Supply + Metal Case Kit

Another option is take look at Intel NUC BOXNUC7PJYH1 add G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB Ram and toss in a small boot 2.5 drive SSD you can go with reg drive but you can only go up 2TB due drive thickness has to be under 9.5mm on NUC but the best part you also get Hardware Transcoder then you can get any size portable external hard drive you want in USB 3.0

Another option you could even build you own 
Asrock J5005-ITX and has Hardware Transcoder and even got room for one Hauppauge Quad-HD ATSC Tuner
G.SKILL DDR4 2400 Ripjaws Series 8GB Ram
ARK WT02 Black Mini ITX Server Case with 250W Power Supply
The reason for the Icy dock below is becuases it only that can except 15mm thick dirve in one 5.25 bay and you eazy add 3TB, 4TB or even 5TB drive

ToughArmor MB607SP-B Rugged Full Metal 4 Bay 2.5" SATA HDD & SSD Backplane Cage for External 5.25" Bay

Edited by SHSPVR