Can't watch recordings in progress

jspenc3

I'm using the latest version of Emby Premiere on Windows 10 Pro and have two HDHomeRun Connect devices on my network (4 tuners).  I am using Windows Media Center (8.8.1) for the guide and ServerWMC to connect the TV signal to Emby.  I use Emby Theater for Windows 10 (desktop) to view everything.

Everything works fine, EXCEPT that I can NOT watch a TV show that is currently being recorded.  If I try it just spins the loading icon forever and I end up having to close Emby Theater and restart it.  Once the show is done recording I can watch it fine.  I can also watch Live TV, just not while it is recording.  If I switch to WMC Recorded TV I can also watch it while recording without issue.

I've reviewed the settings in ServerWMC and Emby and WMC and everything seems OK, the guide works and scheduled recordings work.

Is this just a limitation of this setup?

krustyreturns

If you are trying to use URLs for access to the rec tv files this is currently broken in emby.  If that's not the case, post your serverwmc log after trying to play an active recording.

see this thread for the bug discussion:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57468-new-serverwmc-update-3272018/page-8

BuddahKat

Just wanted to confirm something as I am having the same issue of not being able to watch currently recording shows... is this just an issue with using ServerWMC, i.e. if I started using Emby to directly to manage my tuners / DVR instead of ServerWMC would I be able to watch currently recording shows?

if I started using Emby to directly to manage my tuners / DVR instead of ServerWMC would I be able to watch currently recording shows?

Yes, you would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot, I kept forgetting to check if there were replies; I was expecting it to email me.  I'll have to see if there's a setting for that..

Anyway,

I have a pair of the older HDHomeRun Dual model HDHR3-US.  I'm mainly using WMC and ServerWMC to get the guide.  I actually paid for it with Win 8 and don't want to pay for an alternate source if I don't really HAVE to.  I'm starting to read through that thread, but I have a feeling that's what I'm running into.  I'll post again if I think we should dig in further to my install.  I did search the forums but didn't see that one so I figured I'd just post and see if this happened LOL.

One other question though, is there any way to switch to using Emby to directly manage my tuners but keep using ServerWMC as a guide source?

Edited by jspenc3

One other question though, is there any way to switch to using Emby to directly manage my tuners but keep using ServerWMC as a guide source?

No. I'd like to change the plugin to do that, but other users may not react so kindly to that.

Darn, that's a shame.  Why would they care, couldn't it be an optional non-default setting?  Or would it be too much work to maintain with both options?

Edited by jspenc3

They are different paradigms, so yes, both options would be too much work. Incidentally, this way also reduce the responsibility of the plugins which would make them "just work" more than they currently do.

OK, sounds like a win win.  Who do we have to beat into submission to be able to make the switch?  

LOL

(And sorry to the Mods, I didn't realize I hit the Report button, I saw the word Reply when I was clicking on it, stupid me)

• Like 1

I also did some tests and I'm pretty sure my while-recording TV playback issue is the URL redirect, and I'm not sure I want to live with the side effects of the workaround but I may give it a try.  I do have the logs for serverwmc and Emby from when it failed (if needed let me know), but I don't think you need to bother with them unless you want more data on the issue at large.

Per my last post, I assume we probably won't be switching to the "guide only" serverwmc anytime soon.  Is there any chance this URL issue will be fixed in the next few months?  Or is it a bigger problem than that?

I did read through the above post the other night, but don't remember if I saw a clear indication on how difficult it would be to fix, or if you knew exactly what was wrong...

Edited by jspenc3

Hey krustyreturns, 

While I was trying to figuring out if I had the URL issue I also noticed the Status tab showed a BUNCH of Streaming Recording shows that were not actually in playback and were things I watched days ago.  I think this was also talked about in that or another post, but just to be sure is this also a known issue?  Is there a solution yet, or an idea when one will be out?

Other than these last issues I'm loving how Emby is coming together and am ALMOST ready to ditch WMC (other than possibly as a guide source)...  Thank you to both of you for all your hard work!

5bee1879e6a77_ServerWMC.jpg

Edited by jspenc3