Real Time Monitoring Doesn't Do Anything

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

On my Synology, I've got all of my media organised into folders - movies are genre specific like "comedy", "thriller" e.t.c.. but i've got two television folders.

One I've called "Current Television" for all the shows i'm currently watching and one just called "Television" for other shows I've saved.

All of my libraries have real time monitoring ticked but it doesn't seem to do anything.  There's a setting I've changed (which I can't remember where it is !!) that changes the auto-refresh of all libraries from 3 hours to 2 hours so if it grabs any new shows overnight then they're usually ready for me the next day, but when it grabs something during the day - The Tonight Show for example - then I have to manually log in and choose to manually scan the library myself if i don't want to wait 2 hours for it to be picked up.

Does real time monitoring actually work on Synology devices ?

Hi, it really depends on the platform and on the file system where your media is stored.

Why do you feel it's not doing anything?

ClemFandango

Hi, it really depends on the platform and on the file system where your media is stored.

Why do you feel it's not doing anything?

I have a Synology NAS DS116 drive formatted to NTFS with a regular windows filesystem installed and everything sorted in to folders as i've said.

I feel it's not doing anything because it's not doing anything.

I'm running the SickGear PVR app on the drive that will automatically grab whatever shows I'm watching and it will move them into their relevant folders and rename them accordingly.

Take for example today around midday.   Last night's episode of The Tonight Show was grabbed by the SickGear app and downloaded accordingly.   What I assume should have happened was that Emby would have immediately detected a new file in my "Current Television" library and refreshed the library accordingly or wait 2 hours for the library to automatically refresh itself.

It didn't - and it doesn't.

What I had to do is to sign in to my emby server, go to the dashboard, then library and click 'refresh all libraries' just to force emby to see that it's got a new file.

I assumed 'real time monitoring' was just that.

Edited by ClemFandango

It appears that it's working to me:

2018-10-27 05:43:49.882 Info LibraryMonitor: Blue Bloods (/volume1/video/Current Television/Blue Bloods) will be refreshed.

ClemFandango

It appears that it's working to me:

2018-10-27 05:43:49.882 Info LibraryMonitor: Blue Bloods (/volume1/video/Current Television/Blue Bloods) will be refreshed.

That episode was grabbed overnight and was refreshed because I had set the auto-refresh from 3 hours to 2 hours.

If I downloaded something right now and put it in to one of the libraries I have set up, i can promise you it would not refresh immediately - it would need to wait until the next 2 hour cycle came around

solabc16

Hello @@ClemFandango

There's an update available for your platform (3.5.3.0-16), if you haven't updated can you do so before running the diagnostics and send logs.

Diagnostics : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

Send Logs :  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

It's not related to this issue, but it will give us a good place to start troubleshooting from.

Best

-James

ClemFandango

My drive hasn't picked up the update yet, but as soon as it does i'll do it and do all of the above.

thanks

solabc16

Hello @@ClemFandango

The update for 'armada38x' based systems has been available since the 22nd, so it should be appearing by now.

What does the 'Installed Version' currently show for Emby Server in Package Center?

Best

- James

ClemFandango

I've just looked and it's actually the version you've pointed out - 3.5.3.0-16.   I'd better run the diagnostics and send the logs then :)

ClemFandango

ok, all done - the sendlogs file is sendlogs_WuTangLan_synology_armada38x_ds116_20181027T213426UTC.tgz

and i've attached the diagnostics file as well.  let me know if you need anything else.

solabc16: * diags are in the archive, so have removed from the post.
Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Thanks for the logs, the installation itself looks good and appears to be working as expected.

Can you enable debug logging : Dashboard -> Expert -> Logs - > Enable debug logging, then restart the Emby Server.

The logs will get pretty big, so once you've added something you expect to be picked up to your media folder, disable debug logging and run the 'send logs' utility again.

Best
- James

ClemFandango

ok, this is weird.   i manually searched for some old episodes of the big bang theory and the daily show using sickgear, which you can do, and it grabbed them and downloaded them and the libraries did update immediately when the episodes were subsequently sorted in to their respective folders - it genuinely wasn't doing this before.

I did do as you asked though and enabled debug logging and then rebooted before i did all of this.   I ran send logs afterwards as well and this is the filename ..

sendlogs_WuTangLan_synology_armada38x_ds116_20181028T083742UTC.tgz

I'm wondering if the reason it now appears to be working as expected is because i rebooted the server ?

I know when i updated to the latest version to fix a metadata issue that I didn't reboot, so maybe this is the reason ?.  

solabc16

Hello @@ClemFandango

The real-time monitoring relies on functionality provided by the underlying system, so if this was not working for some reason a restart could potentially have resolved it.

When did you last reboot your system?

We can see the expected behaviour in the log, see below for reference:-

2018-10-28 08:04:20.071 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/video/Mystery Science Theater 3000
2018-10-28 08:04:20.102 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /volume1/video/Current Television/The Big Bang Theory/S12E02 - The Wedding Gift Wormhole-thumb.jpg
2018-10-28 08:04:20.125 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/video/Current Television
2018-10-28 08:04:20.152 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/video/Television
2018-10-28 08:05:20.131 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2018-10-28 08:05:20.142 Info LibraryMonitor: The Big Bang Theory (/volume1/video/Current Television/The Big Bang Theory) will be refreshed.
2018-10-28 08:05:20.590 Info App: Creating Season Season Unknown entry for The Big Bang Theory
2018-10-28 08:05:20.642 Debug App: Running TvdbSeasonImageProvider for Season Unknown
2018-10-28 08:05:21.116 Debug App: Running FFProbeProvider for /volume1/video/Current Television/The Big Bang Theory/S12E02 - The Wedding Gift Wormhole.mkv

When you get a moment, can you confirm that with debug logging disabled again it is still working correctly.

Best

- James

ClemFandango

Well my NAS drive was last rebooted 5 days ago.    I've just grabbed an old episode of Greys Anatomy which is not downloading particularly quickly, but i'll update later when it's completed to see what happens.

#edit

Just grabbed something else that's downloading a lot quicker so i should be able to report back in the next 10 minutes or so

Edited by ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Interesting.

Grabbed an episode of "Disenchantment" which has been downloaded and processed and is in the correct folder but Emby has not immediately updated.

Big Bang Theory and Daily Show worked fine and updated immediately but not this, and everything is in the same "Current Television" folder as well.

A manual "scan all libraries" does indeed fix this ..

I'll try a few more random episodes from some other shows to see what happens.

Edited by ClemFandango

solabc16

Thanks for the update @@ClemFandango, can you send the logs again as well please once you've tried out a few more episodes.

We might need to leave debug logging on for a while, if you find that it's only not working for certain episodes.

How large is your library? i.e. how many titles?

Best

- James

ClemFandango

I've got 148 movies, 117 "current" episodes and about 1,000 episodes of older tv shows that i've kept so it's not massive by any means.

Edited by ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Well i've just tried 4 different shows - Disenchantment, The Orville, Better Call Saul and Preacher.

The Orville and Preacher grabbed an episode each and updated them immediately.

Disenchantment and Better Call Saul didn't and needed a manual library update.

ClemFandango

I'm using the "sickgear" application.

i went in to each of the mentioned shows and selected a recent episode that i didn't have and triggered a manual search.   it searched various sites, grabbed the episode and downloaded it.

the post-processing of the episode is then carried out and it's named accordingly and moved into the relevant show folder.

ClemFandango

well i'm basically sitting here watching the shows as the finish - i have the emby server page open and when the show finishes downloading, i refresh the page to see if it's been added