MBC Initial Search speed

AdrianW

AdrianW

In MBC the first search in a session is very slow to respond (the big red "Searching..." text stays on screen for a long time) - but then any subsequent searches, even for entirely different items, is very quick.

Is there any chance of speeding up that initial search?

For comparison the search results in the MBS, MBT and iOS clients appear almost instantly.

Search is still using the old MB2 method, which means you are recursively loading the whole tree on the first search.  This is a very little used function so it hasn't been modified yet.

AdrianW

This is a very little used function so it hasn't been modified yet.

OK, so does that mean it'll be looked at eventually when the higher use stuff has been completed?

There's one other issue with MBC search (which I think I may have reported before - perhaps with MB2) - where sometimes the last character or two entered in the search box seem to be ignored, e.g. I enter "fred" and then search message says Searching Media Folders for Items containing: "fre" and...

OK, so does that mean it'll be looked at eventually when the higher use stuff has been completed?

There's one other issue with MBC search (which I think I may have reported before - perhaps with MB2) - where sometimes the last character or two entered in the search box seem to be ignored, e.g. I enter "fred" and then search message says Searching Media Folders for Items containing: "fre" and...

That is because the field is setup for triple tap selection.  The only thing you can do is wait about a second after the last character before hitting search.

Things like that are why text search is a low priority.  I want to have other ways of quickly finding what you want since text entry with a remote control is so cumbersome.