Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

Damien_
Unfortunately that doesn't work very well as I end up with duplicate channels, one per Playlist. In the Mappings section of xTeve each channel is tied to a Playlist so when the EPG is downloaded by Emby there's two of each channel and not in a very good order either. The reason I thought Emby handled multiple HDHomeRun devices in a more intelligent way is because of this comment in the feature request linked below. Maybe that comment isn't accurate, not sure as it doesn't seem to work that way.

"Basically  once M3u #1 has used all 5 of its tuners, I then need to start using the login info that is within M3u #2...  once those 5 tuners are used (now all 10 tuners), then emby issues "no tuners available". This is how emby treats HDhomeruns today, so it can't be to difficult. "

If your two playlist have the same channel on each playlist, you turn one of them off. That’s sorta the idea with xteve is you see only the channels you want to see and in the order you want to see them.

No matter how many providers you use, you only enter the one xteve playlist URL and Xteve EPG URL in emby.

I have an iptv sub, I’m trialing a 2nd iptv source and I use an HDHomerun for my local stations on the one xteve Instance.

EODCrafter

Emby nor xTeVe will take two separate Logins of a Identical Provider and combine them into usable "Multiple Tuners/Streams". Most IPTV Providers offer Subs with up to 5 Connections/Lines on 1 Login...Then you can have 5 people watching 5 Different Channels...You cannot combine Two 5 Line-Subs and make it 10. We have been asking for this feature for years....

Sry

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

Damien_
Emby nor xTeVe will take two separate Logins of a Identical Provider and combine them into usable "Multiple Tuners/Streams". Most IPTV Providers offer Subs with up to 5 Connections/Lines on 1 Login...Then you can have 5 people watching 5 Different Channels...You cannot combine Two 5 Line-Subs and make it 10. We have been asking for this feature for years....
Sry

Ohh he has two subs to the same provider. I missed that.

patrikr
14 hours ago, meatball said:

If your two playlist have the same channel on each playlist, you turn one of them off. That’s sorta the idea with xteve is you see only the channels you want to see and in the order you want to see them.

No matter how many providers you use, you only enter the one xteve playlist URL and Xteve EPG URL in emby.

I have an iptv sub, I’m trialing a 2nd iptv source and I use an HDHomerun for my local stations on the one xteve Instance.

Something is not computing in my brain. Let me describe what I've tried:

1. Added both IPTV subs as playlists in one xTeve instance
  2. Added both XmlTV feeds from both IPTVs to one xTeve instance
  3. Disabled the second set of channels in mappings
  4. Added xTeve as both HDHomeRun or M3U
  5. Result = Emby only ever plays from playlist #1 which makes sense as each channel in xTeve is mapped directly in a 1:1 fashion to a playlist

I think something is wrong in Emby because this setup seems to do what I want except Emby keeps sending the request to a HDHomeRun device that doesn't have any more tuners. I thought Emby kept track of that?

1. Configured xTeve #1 in Settings as having 2 tuners
  2. Added IPTV#1 in xTeve instance #1 set with two streams
  3. Added XmlTV feed from IPTV#1 in xTeve #1
  4. Added this instance as a HDHomeRun device in Emby and added the XmlTV feed as tied to this HDHomeRun
  5. Repeat step 1-4 for my second subscription to the same IPTV provider
  6. In the end I have two HDHomeRun devices in Emby, both with their own XmlTV feed that's tied to that specific HDHomeRun device

Emby perfectly merges the channel list but and stream 1 and 2 goes to HDHomeRun device #1 as expected. The problem comes when I start stream 3 and it sends that to HDHomeRun device #1 even though it's out of tuners. It's like Emby doesn't respect the number of tuners it gets from xTeve, it just keeps sending them to the same device even though the second tuner has two available slots.

patrikr
18 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Sry

Ah ok, it really is impossible then until Emby fixes this.

I started looking at TV HeadEnd yesterday but it's way complex. If it can solve the problem I'll dig into it again and see if I can make it work. Any guides you can point me to would be much appreciated! :)

• 2 months later...
On 07/04/2020 at 07:11, BillOatman said:

There are free options as well.

http://m3u4u.com/

zap2xml

webgrab+

I currently use the last 2 to get all of the channels that I need. I use xteve.de (also free) to merge all of the different sources of data together to feed Emby and other players.

It's a bit of work to get it all going and automated, but it works great.

Hey 

I saw your other post that you have created your own app to be able to grab sports properly using the cid would you be able to share your setup my provider also uses the renaming of channels with the fight or nhl game.  Would be so glad to be able to have proper data for those as well.

Thanks

EODCrafter
6 hours ago, MaDTaZ said:

Hey 

I saw your other post that you have created your own app to be able to grab sports properly using the cid would you be able to share your setup my provider also uses the renaming of channels with the fight or nhl game.  Would be so glad to be able to have proper data for those as well.

Thanks

Problem is a lot of Providers change the Stream URL too making the CUID useless. Best option is to just use TiviMate.

I do use Tvivmate for one of my tv the other one is an apple tv so I use emby on it.  I also use xteve to manager all my feed so was why I was asking.  Due to them changing the name of the channel to ppv (name of the fight) I have to enable it manually.

Hello All

The reason I posted in this thread was due to the tile!  I do not like any of the options for apple tv and want to use emby.  I know what works and what doesn't what I am trying to figure how a few people got the great epg and xmltv data for channels that are renamed.  nhl :01 8pm hockey game name.  Looking forward in those kinds of replies

EODCrafter
9 hours ago, MaDTaZ said:

Hello All

The reason I posted in this thread was due to the tile!  I do not like any of the options for apple tv and want to use emby.  I know what works and what doesn't what I am trying to figure how a few people got the great epg and xmltv data for channels that are renamed.  nhl :01 8pm hockey game name.  Looking forward in those kinds of replies

yea, like I said, Our CUID Script works as long as the Provider doesn't change the Stream URL. There is another Script Posted in offtopic I pointed you to on xTeVe, but I haven't personally tested it. GL.

EODCrafter
11 hours ago, dcol said:

Tivimate works fine, as long as you have an EPG. One of my providers does not have EPG's

There is no EPG for PPV, Ect...That is what Op is trying to Map. It needs to be permanently Mapped to our "Dummy Guide"

15 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

There is no EPG for PPV, Ect...That is what Op is trying to Map. It needs to be permanently Mapped to our "Dummy Guide"

Thanks I actually got connected with xteve discord and i was able to get it to work with the following script This allowed me to have xteve keep the channels activated.

import urllib.request
import hashlib
import os

#Provider URL to download M3U file
url = '{your url from provider}'
#File path where to save the newly create M3U file.
filePath = '{where you want the file to go}'
#Headers VLC Standard, Change to what you like....
headers = {'User-Agent': 'VLC'}

#Combine URL and Headers into one
req = urllib.request.Request(url,headers=headers)

# Get M3U file from provider
response = urllib.request.urlopen(req)
data = response.read()
providerM3uFile = data.decode('utf-8')

#Open and overwrites the file if it exist, if it doesnt exist it creates a new one
fo = open(filePath, 'w', encoding='utf-8')

#Addes CUID to every line. CUID = MD5 hash of the channel URL
m3uLines = providerM3uFile.split('#EXTINF:-1')
#Delete #EXTM3U line
del m3uLines[0]
newM3uFile = '#EXTM3U' + '\n'
for m3uLine in m3uLines:
    #Filter channels that you want to ***include*** by group title. 
    #This assumes that your provider uses the group-title= property to identify groups, if not change it
    if  ('group-title="NFL"' in m3uLine) or ('group-title="NHL"' in m3uLine) or ('group-title="MLB"' in m3uLine) or ('group-title="Main Events / PPV"' in m3uLine):
        channelInfo = m3uLine.splitlines()[0].strip()
        channelUrl = m3uLine.splitlines()[1].strip()
        hash = hashlib.md5(channelUrl.encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()
        newM3uLine = f"#EXTINF:-1 CUID=\"{hash}\" {channelInfo.strip()}\n{channelUrl.strip()}\n"
        newM3uFile = newM3uFile + newM3uLine

#Write newly create file to a file in the OS
fo.write(newM3uFile)
fo.close

Then from there I am writing my own script to pull json to convert to xmltv.  This was what I was hoping someone was already working on.  Want to use the nhl,nba,mlb site to pull the data and put in the xmltv file

Edited by MaDTaZ

BillOatman
On 9/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, EODCrafter said:

Problem is a lot of Providers change the Stream URL too making the CUID useless. Best option is to just use TiviMate.

Actually it makes the CUID more useful.  The URL can change all it wants as can the channel name and in the guide it doesn't change.

EODCrafter
On 9/16/2020 at 7:58 AM, BillOatman said:

Actually it makes the CUID more useful.  The URL can change all it wants as can the channel name and in the guide it doesn't change.

Not if you have it Mapped to Dummy Data, then the URL changes and the Mapping is Dropped. The CUID is just a md5 hash of the URL.

We are Talking about PPV Channels that have no Guide.

Edited by EODCrafter

• 1 month later...
poodragon

Holy moly I am pulling my hair out... ok fine, you got me.. I dont have any hair.

Can someone please save me.  I am reading the forums and jumping around to xteve website and doctumentaxion or however they spell it and I am actually going crazy.
15 years ago I would of been all over this and it would be easy peezy lemon squeezing... now, with kids and health and so on.. I just don't have the patience or brain power.

Everything I am seeing is with HDhomerun or whatever and windows based server or xteve on windows with another program or blah blah blah.  
I just want to know what to do when this is the setup.  Please don't hate me.

Synology NAS - Emby Server - Xteve
I have 4500 channels and it seems Xteve is the way to go as Emby doesn't have grouping channel support.  Can someone please explain how to do this?
Does Xteve need to be in a docker?  If so, I have to learn all about docker?!?! **brain explosion**

Setup:  Shield with Emby via NAS.  

EDIT:  So got docker running, xteve is not really large m3u no group friendly far as I can tell.  To answer my own questions above... yes, xteve needs to be in a docker and no there is not any clear cut instructions anywhere to make life easy.

Edited by poodragon

• 4 months later...

Hi, been using emby with xteve for as long as I can remember but today it has stopped working.  For some reason can no longer communicate with xteve?  I can access the docker webgui myself, restarted everything.  Have not touched any config for months and it has never missed a beat!  I have removed the tuner from Emby to allow me to re-add it but I cannnot, are there any tests/checks anyone can suggest please?  I am able to access xteve using VLC player so xteve seems to be working perfectly!

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

35 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Don't use HDHomerun as the Tuner ;)

Capture1.PNG

That was desperation of trying ANY Tuner! 😂

The error is instant, like it is not even trying?

image.png.3fabcab1e07eb964931c56257838a921.png

3 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

That was desperation of trying ANY Tuner! 😂

The error is instant, like it is not even trying?

image.png.3fabcab1e07eb964931c56257838a921.png

Is that an m3u url, or is that just the url for the xteve web page?