Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

Spaceboy

@@EODCrafter

Another hole, how can I set my groups to specific channel numbers without manually editing each and every channel number in that group... For example I want PPV's to be 6000 up I want movies to be 3000 up, and regular channels to start at 1 and go up from there...

i think eodcrafter may have left...

Anyway there is no shortcut way of doing this, it’s manual.

As to your first question I think combining m3us is also outside the scope of xteve but I’m less certain about that

pir8radio

i think eodcrafter may have left...

Anyway there is no shortcut way of doing this, it’s manual.

As to your first question I think combining m3us is also outside the scope of xteve but I’m less certain about that

yea I dont see any way to combine multiple groups into my own group either...    Its not a good solution for me I think...     darn..

It needs to have more iptv-epg.com type features and it could be very useful..  

Edited by pir8radio

xTeVe is a nice tool to customize an m3u. But it is all manual work to do so except for bulk editing some of the fields. As far as the buffering, I have found it causes more problems than solves with Emby. I leave buffering off.

Great to use if you want to combine multiple providers. Changing channel numbers is easy but all manual. I sort by name and filter by provider then start my numbering.

Edited by dcol

• 1 month later...
dovedescent7

i hope this is like an Xteve thread for the community!! huge emby fan thus far been premiere for 1+ yrs

@@Luke if you could chime in here too?

So luke mentioned a ways back that Xteve would solve an issue i've been having with my IPTV provider, but i'm still trying to wrap my head around this Xteve.

Short story is that my iptv provider only gives me 24 hours of epg data with the Xmltv they provide, they stink.

I finally started messing with Xteve but i dont know how i would go about getting more than 24 hours of epg data using Xteve, if my provider only has 24 hours in their xml/xmltv?

Do i somehow create another xml or something inside of Xteve? 

Would it be do-able to not use my providers xmltv link at all? Or would i need to get extra epg guide data in Addition to what my provider gives? Like, the guide data past 24 hours if this makes sense.

And what type of provider would i use? I've only used direct xmltv urls from provider and just emby guide data for 5 OTA channels. 

A little miffed. Help? :o

EDIT: BTW  Ive already setup xteve and have it working already. Just need to get the extra epg data i am missing from above question 

Edited by dovedescent7

pir8radio

yea sounds like you need to look into https://www.iptv-epg.com/ or similar service, to get better epg..     I have not found a way to use emby's built in epg with iptv... its very location specific.   

dovedescent7

yea sounds like you need to look into https://www.iptv-epg.com/ or similar service, to get better epg..     I have not found a way to use emby's built in epg with iptv... its very location specific.   

this part, especially distressing for a guy with such a high post count such as you?!   "I have not found a way to use emby's built in epg with iptv... its very location specific"

I appreciate the plug for the paid service but i'm well past tapped out for spending more on iptv. Otherwise i would not be editing my m3u's by hand for hours on end. 

pir8radio

this part, especially distressing for a guy with such a high post count such as you?!   "I have not found a way to use emby's built in epg with iptv... its very location specific"

I appreciate the plug for the paid service but i'm well past tapped out for spending more on iptv. Otherwise i would not be editing my m3u's by hand for hours on end. 

lol, well good luck if you find a free EPG service that gives you over a week in advance, and hits all of your iptv channels i'll be glad to get it for free and switch... 

FYI some things you will run into with epg providers, is some do not provide extra tags, like "Premier" (image below) so you cant set emby to record "new shows only",  some are missing data, images and all of that good stuff (second image below)...   you have to really dig to find a good iptv epg provider.   now if the emby team could make their epg work for iptv that would be neat.

Just because my post count is high, just means i talk a lot...  its the member likes that count.  :)  

5e8394876c28c_Screenshotfrom202003311404

5e839491978ae_Screenshotfrom202003311403

Edited by pir8radio

dovedescent7

Just because my post count is high, just means i talk a lot...  its the member likes that count.  :)  

Gotcha. And Its the motion of the ocean etc etc. j/k  :D  

I've had no epg issues (in most part) until arriving at this current provider.

Last 2-3 providers i got 1ish-2ish weeks of epg data no probs, without the extra spend. This providers more of an "extra" to another service.  I shouldn't be depending on it as my daily driver but current circumstances... 

Back to the Q though, if anyone has an Xteve related solution for more than 24hours of epg data, i would be super grateful! 

dcol

Why not just use the Emby schedule? You can map the channels to the Emby guide. Then you will have 2 weeks guide data.

Just set the tuner to the xTeVe output.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Why not just use the Emby schedule? You can map the channels to the Emby guide. Then you will have 2 weeks guide data.

I have tried, maybe i just suck at life.. but i bring in  US, UK, and CA channels, (which is awesome because shows i like are on at different times in different countries, and i like UK commercials lol)  Plus I dont think emby has access to all of the channels right?   I just found lots of gaps...  but again    i suck at life so its probably me. 

dovedescent7

Nice!  ok i think i'll try that asap.

Would i get rid of my xmltv from my provider altogether? er nah?

Do you also use the emby guide data? If so how has your experience been? (i can deal with some missing data-just curious)

I guess the part that really tweaks my brain, is whether i would still need the xmltv link from my provider  or is what your suggesting is to start fresh?

sorry, not emby noob, just xteve/epg noob i guess.

dcol

Nice!  ok i think i'll try that asap.

Would i get rid of my xmltv from my provider altogether? er nah?

Do you also use the emby guide data? If so how has your experience been? (i can deal with some missing data-just curious)

I guess the part that really tweaks my brain, is whether i would still need the xmltv link from my provider  or is what your suggesting is to start fresh?

sorry, not emby noob, just xteve/epg noob i guess.

Emby guide data works great. You really do not need the xmltv from the IPTV provider but an XML is required in xTeVe to enable the channel. If none is available then choose 'Dummy'

What I do is just Dummy all channels then map them in Emby. But for special events like sports, PPV, etc. Emby guide will not have that guide data, so you need the XMLTV for those.

• Like 1

BillOatman

There are free options as well.

http://m3u4u.com/

zap2xml

webgrab+

I currently use the last 2 to get all of the channels that I need. I use xteve.de (also free) to merge all of the different sources of data together to feed Emby and other players.

It's a bit of work to get it all going and automated, but it works great.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1

dovedescent7

zap2xml

webgrab+

I currently use the last 2 to get all of the channels that I need. I use xteve.de (also free) to merge all of the different sources of data together to feed Emby and other players.

Thanks Bill, going to check those out.

I decided to go dcol's route and am VERY VERY happy with the 2 weeks of guide data from Emby guide data! WOOT WOOT!

I seriously coudlnt be happier. Another win for Emby, man i love this thing and Xteve is great too.

Edited by dovedescent7

dovedescent7

zap2xml

webgrab+

Forgot to ask,

Dont people worry when using paid or free services such as we are discussing, that somehow these places steal your login info etc from your m3u urls?

Or is that not a thing?

p.s. it would be sick to see Emby somehow integrate Xteve into it.

Edited by dovedescent7

pir8radio

Forgot to ask,

Dont people worry when using paid or free services such as we are discussing, that somehow these places steal your login info etc from your m3u urls?

Or is that not a thing?

Not really, its pretty easy to sniff that stuff from the net anyway,  99% of the iptv services use http not https, and your username and password are in the open url.     Plus these paid or free services have so many people using them, I mean how much iptv can you watch..    :)

BillOatman

Forgot to ask,

Or is that not a thing?

For the two that I use, zap2xml and webgrab+, I get nothing but xmltv information from them. I do not send any iptv provider credentials or information at all.  xteve does the mapping between that xmltv information and the provider m3u, and that is run locally.

xteve is open source so you can build it yourself to make sure it isn't sending your information anywhere.

Edited by BillOatman

• 2 months later...
patrikr

Reviving an old thread as I can't get Emby to work with xTeve as a HDHomeRun tuner without enabling buffering in xTeve (which may be fine but I'd rather not have double transcoding).

I add xTeve as a HDHomeRun tuner and when I try to select a channel to view I get the following in my Emby logs.

2020-07-07 12:26:41.011 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from Emby, external channel Id: hdhr_1003
2020-07-07 12:26:41.011 Info LiveTV: Streaming Channel hdhr_1003
2020-07-07 12:26:41.011 Info HdHomerunHost: GetChannelStream: channel id: hdhr_1003. stream id: native_0b3d27ca7d6970d0b5c4c2bf0e499f23_82af2a1797ef099abb63ab1f8948f83a profile: native
2020-07-07 12:26:41.012 Info SharedHttpPipelineSource: Opening SharedHttpPipelineSource Live stream from http://192.168.1.15:34400/stream/654fc3c15bda6897d015a5d83986c1b7
2020-07-07 12:26:41.012 Info HttpClient: GET http://192.168.1.15:34400/stream/654fc3c15bda6897d015a5d83986c1b7
2020-07-07 12:26:41.355 Info HttpClient: Http response 401 from http://192.168.1.15:34400/stream/654fc3c15bda6897d015a5d83986c1b7 after 343ms. HeadersServer=nginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu), Date=Tue, 07 Jul 2020 18:26:41 GMT, Transfer-Encoding=chunked, Connection=keep-alive, Access-Control-Allow-Origin=*
2020-07-07 12:26:41.359 Error HdHomerunHost: Error opening tuner
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.4.3.0
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.19.107.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.3/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 3.1.3
	Processor count: 8
	Program data path: /config
	Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Unauthorized
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.SharedHttpPipelineSource.OpenStream(IDisposable connectionContext, MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String url, MediaProtocol protocol, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Int32 recursion)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.SharedHttpPipelineSource.Open(CancellationToken openCancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannelStream(String channelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2020-07-07 12:26:41.363 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.4.3.0
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.19.107.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.3/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 3.1.3
	Processor count: 8
	Program data path: /config
	Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server
	MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException' was thrown.
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannelStream(String channelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetChannelStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(String channelId, String streamId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvManager.GetChannelStream(String id, String mediaSourceId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvMediaSourceProvider.OpenMediaSource(String openToken, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStreamInternal(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStream(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.OpenMediaSource(OpenMediaSource request)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.GetPlaybackInfo(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.Post(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.LiveTV
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2020-07-07 12:26:41.364 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 192.168.1.65. Time: 365ms. http://192.168.1.20:8096/emby/Items/263936/PlaybackInfo?UserId=4565391c0adc4e659249b0931f46d340&StartTimeTicks=0&IsPlayback=true&AutoOpenLiveStream=true&MaxStreamingBitrate=140000000

What's strange is that the first request which Emby says it gets a 401 error for is just a redirect to the actual stream and I can hit that same URL with curl without a 401. I even tried installing Emby on a brand new machine and exact same thing.

As soon as I enable buffering in xTeve it works. Any thoughts?

mbc0

Hi, Buffering isn't transcoding, it is just storing some video data in memory before passing it to Emby, it works fine like this and how I have used it since it existed

• Like 1

patrikr
8 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Hi, Buffering isn't transcoding, it is just storing some video data in memory before passing it to Emby, it works fine like this and how I have used it since it existed

That's good to know, thanks.

patrikr

Now I ran into another problem. The reason I wanted to use xTeve to emulate HDHR is so that I could use two separate subscriptions to my IPTV provider that each allow two simultaneous connections i.e. I wanted to pool these together to allow four streams from Emby users.

I created two separate instances of xTeve, both with separate logins to the IPTV provider and each having the tuner setting to 2. I then added both as HDHR in Emby and selected that the XmlTV EPG should be active for both of them but as soon as I try the third connection I get an error saying no more streams available. I thought Emby was supposed to load balance between all available HDHR tuners?

mbc0

That's not how I understand things, 

I have 2 subs in ONE instance of xteve, you do not need two instances.  

Set each sub (Playlist) in xteve and how many tuners each sub has, so in your case 2 each, xteve will then be detected as a 4 tuner HDHR 😉

image.thumb.png.783c9b4995d9400a94866368d794ec8d.png

• Like 1

patrikr

Unfortunately that doesn't work very well as I end up with duplicate channels, one per Playlist. In the Mappings section of xTeve each channel is tied to a Playlist so when the EPG is downloaded by Emby there's two of each channel and not in a very good order either.

The reason I thought Emby handled multiple HDHomeRun devices in a more intelligent way is because of this comment in the feature request linked below. Maybe that comment isn't accurate, not sure as it doesn't seem to work that way.

"Basically  once M3u #1 has used all 5 of its tuners, I then need to start using the login info that is within M3u #2...  once those 5 tuners are used (now all 10 tuners), then emby issues "no tuners available". This is how emby treats HDhomeruns today, so it can't be to difficult. "

patrikr

I believe the root of the problem is the EPG data. Each channel in the EPG contain a URL to the stream info. In my case, xTeve #1 is running on 192.168.1.15:34400 and each channel reference that particular server. The EPG doesn't contain information about the second instance of xTeve which is on 192.168.1.15:34401 and without duplicate entries, not sure how it would know about it without dynamically re-writing the URL based on knowledge of available streams.