Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

Tony B.

Need a Linux/Ubuntu Guru:

The systemd script on Github/Discord doesn't seem to have instructions for other ports and config files. I desperately need some help. I have been trying different variations of the systemd service script and nothing seems to work.

With the release of 2.0, it seems that I can't run it from a cronjob either :(

So! I would love to know who out there can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

EODCrafter

Need a Linux/Ubuntu Guru:

The systemd script on Github/Discord doesn't seem to have instructions for other ports and config files. I desperately need some help. I have been trying different variations of the systemd service script and nothing seems to work.

With the release of 2.0, it seems that I can't run it from a cronjob either :(

So! I would love to know who out there can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Those guys stay tucked away on Discord I'm afraid :( https://discordapp.com/channels/465222357754314767/608557636069228546

Source https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe

Configurationhttps://github.com/x...onfiguration.md

Releaseshttps://github.com/x.../xTeVe/releases

Migration from 1.4.4:

1. You make a backup of 1.4.4 (Settings -> Backup)
2. Exit xTeVe 1.4.4
3. Start xTeVe 2.0.0
4. Go through the wizard
5. Restore the configuration of 1.4.4 (Setting -> Restore -> Select backup file)

xTeVe Docker Hub 

https://xteve.dnsforge.net/

Downloads and other useful Info

http://xteve.de
 xteve -port="8080"
Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

Tony B.

Those guys stay tucked away on Discord I'm afraid :(https://discordapp.com/channels/465222357754314767/608557636069228546

Nobody has a clue of what is required to run the service on a different port with a separate configuration on the discord site.

They don't have Linux experience. That's exactly what they said to me, hence why I brought it here for a larger audience. Marmei is actually the one that said that. So, if the designer of the software has no idea, I guess I'm truly screwed, lol

• Like 1

marmei

Nobody has a clue of what is required to run the service on a different port with a separate configuration on the discord site.

They don't have Linux experience. That's exactly what they said to me, hence why I brought it here for a larger audience. Marmei is actually the one that said that. So, if the designer of the software has no idea, I guess I'm truly screwed, lol

This is an example script to start xTeVe. If that's not enough, just have to deal with systemd. For systemd there is enough information on the internet.

Google result (Not tested, but looks good):

https://superuser.com/questions/728951/systemd-giving-my-service-multiple-arguments

Tony B.

I searched on Google and tried that before I posted my question.. It didn't work. Also tried a shell script, that didn't work. Nothing is working, otherwise, I would have posted the answer instead of the question ;)

Everything seems to be terminating with 217/USER. Not sure what that means.

It would be great if there was more documentation on the internet about this, or even better if there was a part of the GUI that let us configure the port and configuration file. I digress, you just had a huge release, I'm sure you have your hands full with that.

xTeve doesn't seem to be compatible with service files that need parameters. There are other programs that are compatible, but just not xTeve.

Tony B.

I just thought about this. It may be a bug.

It used to be able to start it with a cronjob

Now, it's impossible to start it unattended

Edited by Tony B.

marmei

I searched on Google and tried that before I posted my question.. It didn't work. Also tried a shell script, that didn't work. Nothing is working, otherwise, I would have posted the answer instead of the question ;)

Everything seems to be terminating with 217/USER. Not sure what that means.

It would be great if there was more documentation on the internet about this, or even better if there was a part of the GUI that let us configure the port and configuration file. I digress, you just had a huge release, I'm sure you have your hands full with that.

xTeve doesn't seem to be compatible with service files that need parameters. There are other programs that are compatible, but just not xTeve.

No matter what does not work for you, xTeVe is not the problem  ;)

systemd:

[Unit]
Description=xTeVe Service
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/home/marmei/bin/xteve -config=/home/marmei/new/ -port=34401
ExecReload=/usr/bin/killall xteve
ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall xteve
KillMode=process
Restart=always
RestartSec=15

User=marmei
Group=wheel
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

5d4f2baee6078_Bildschirmfotovom201908102

Tony B.

@@marmei

I tried that yesterday but used yours instead.

Results:

● xteve-bt.service - xTeVe Service
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/xteve-bt.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-08-10 13:54:27 MST; 3s ago
  Process: 77279 ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall xteve (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 77277 ExecStart=/home/home/tony/xteve-bt/xteve -config=/home/tony/xteve-bt -port=36660 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 77277 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Aug 10 13:54:27 TZPLCHVTPA-MTA1.tinozplace.com systemd[1]: xteve-bt.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 10 13:54:27 TZPLCHVTPA-MTA1.tinozplace.com systemd[1]: xteve-bt.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Service:

[unit]

[service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/home/home/tony/xteve-bt/xteve -config=/home/tony/xteve-bt -port=36660
KillMode=process
Restart=always
RestartSec=15

User=tony
Group=tony
[install]

Edited by Tony B.

Tony B.

Check if the permissions are correct

chmod and chown

I do not have any more ideas for Linux either.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 tony tony 9471072 Aug 10 14:01 xteve

Dunno. I have tried pretty much everything

Tony B.

Finally figured it out..

Instructions below call this myxteve.service in /etc/systemd/system (Ubuntu), change it to whatever you want

myxteve.service:

[unit]

[service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/xteve.sh
KillMode=process
Restart=always
RestartSec=15

User=tony
Group=tony
[install]

Put a script somewhere (I chose /usr/local/bin) with the startup info and make sure to give it execution priv (chmod +x mxteveservice.sh) that looks like this:

# /bin/sh

/home/tony/xteve-36660/xteve -port="36660" -config="/home/tony/xteve-36660"

Change that service file (at the top of the instructions) to reflect where you put this script.

systemctl enable myxteve.service

systemctl start myxteve.service

systemctl status myxteve.service (to see if it's running)

You should see:

myxteve.service - xTeVe Service
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/myxteve.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-08-10 14:37:50 MST; 1min 3s ago
  Process: 4724 ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall xteve (code=exited)
 Main PID: 4730 (bash)
    Tasks: 13
   Memory: 118.3M
      CPU: 1min 16.294s

kanipek

Well it seems I have finally got xTeVe figured out, setup and what not.

I no sooner get this all done and my provider tells me they are shoving me off to a reseller.

Not being a wiz with xTeVe I am wondering how this is going to affect xTeVe? - I have the URL to the new M3U, same username, different PW, all else remains the same, channel list, and those links are identical except the tokens. I handle the EPG myself through SD so that remains the same.

Can I just drop in the new M3U link and remove the original one and it will be done....?

Please as my 11 year old says "Say yes".... ;)

EODCrafter

I no sooner get this all done and my provider tells me they are shoving me off to a reseller.

Not being a wiz with xTeVe I am wondering how this is going to affect xTeVe? - I have the URL to the new M3U, same username, different PW, all else remains the same, channel list, and those links are identical except the tokens. I handle the EPG myself through SD so that remains the same.

Can I just drop in the new M3U link and remove the original one and it will be done....?

Yes!

Edited by EODCrafter

BillOatman

If it's a reseller of the same service, then the answer would be "yes" :)

EODCrafter

same username, different PW, all else remains the same,

OP Made this Pretty clear......

kanipek

Well I took the plunge.

Set up a COPY of my production server, add xTeVe as an M3U Tuner and as a guide source - and well not much success. Looks like it read the M3U tuner but the guide data was a no show, even though reading the log it looked to be fine.

So I deleted ALL tuners and ALL guide sources and did a restart of Emby. Added the xTeVe info back in and now it looks good...??

Is this common?

Does xTeVe not play nice with existing HDHR/IPTV installations?

I was very careful with channel numbering(xTeVe) so there wouldn't be duplicate channels. But there are more than a few channel names that are identical.

Ideas?

EODCrafter

Well I took the plunge.

Set up a COPY of my production server, add xTeVe as an M3U Tuner and as a guide source - and well not much success. Looks like it read the M3U tuner but the guide data was a no show, even though reading the log it looked to be fine.

So I deleted ALL tuners and ALL guide sources and did a restart of Emby. Added the xTeVe info back in and now it looks good...??

Is this common?

I was very careful with channel numbering(xTeVe) so there wouldn't be duplicate channels. But there are more than a few channel names that are identical.

Ideas?

"All else remains the same" didn't really mean that I take? It should of been....Delete old m3u/playlist link and xmltv link, insert new ones, and be done. Just the Password changing would not do what you are describing. :(

@@marmei

Don't forget, if your Password for the M3U changed, then the one for the XMLTV (Guide) file changed as well.

What do you Mean by this? An actual Hardware HDHR Tuner? xTeVe is made for IPTV, but it also supports HDHR Tuner Cards, These must be added after IPTV AFAIK, I don't have one.

Edited by EODCrafter

kanipek

What do you Mean by this? An actual Hardware HDHR Tuner?--->>Yes an actual HDHR tuner. I have several existing for OTA.

xTeVe is made for IPTV, but it also supports HDHR Tuner Cards, These must be added after IPTV AFAIK, I don't have one.--->>>And this I believe answers the question I had -- I initially added the xTeVe M3U/XML to my (copy of) my existing install, which includes my OTA HDHR tuners and my original IPTV setup. The channels appeared from xTeVe but no guide data. So I deleted ALL tuner/guide data and restarted Emby then xTeVe was added without issue.

• 2 months later...
stevedawg85

Any1 care to share suggestions/opinions on channel configuration w/ multiple iptv services?  I've signed up for 2, trying to figure out if i want them completely separated, or lumped together like ESPN's etc.  Anyone rename the channel like Service 1 ESPN and Service 2 ESPN?  

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Any1 care to share suggestions/opinions on channel configuration w/ multiple iptv services?  I've signed up for 2, trying to figure out if i want them completely separated, or lumped together like ESPN's etc.  Anyone rename the channel like Service 1 ESPN and Service 2 ESPN?  

What I do in xTeVe is Renumber the Channels 4, 4.1, 4.2 ECT to match all my NBC Channels (same as any Dupes like ESPN). Renaming Channels seems rather cumbersome. You can also upload Custom Logos in xTeVe if you desire :)

5db9325673151_Capture.png

They show up in Emby like this.......

5db932d9085fb_Capture.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

What I do in xTeVe is Renumber the Channels 4, 4.1, 4.2 ECT to match all my NBC Channels (same as any Dupes like ESPN). Renaming Channels seems rather cumbersome. You can also upload Custom Logos in xTeVe if you desire :)

Does xteve have the grouping of channels across iptv providers as a goal?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

stevedawg85

Awesome thanks, didn't think of that, great idea!  Think I'll follow a similar rule!

EODCrafter

Does xteve have the grouping of channels across iptv providers as a goal?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not, we are Still waiting on @@Luke to implement this feature :(

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

Also waiting on using multiple IPTV providers to schedule same show at same time for redundancy purposes. Not having this option bit me last night when one of my IPTV providers went south and I missed a recording. We really need this option due to the instability of IPTV.

Edited by dcol
  • Like 1