Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

hshah

Any time the name of the channel changes it could/will get remapped by xteve.  The exception is when the m3u specifies a chid field which xteve will recognize as still being the same channel. Very few providers have this field however (I know of only 1).  I wrote an app that creates a sports m3u and xmltv file that xteve consumes that provides a chid.  That way when the channels change names every day, I don't need to remap them :)

I'm actually using Xtream-Editor in front of xTeVe so I have made any channel name changes there, and only have to deal with entire channels being added/removed from my provider.

Having changed my numbering to be in the 100 - 999 range, anything that does get added appears in xTeVe from 1000 onwards, and conveniently at the bottom of the mappings list (when sorted by channel numbers).

Probably slightly off topic, so if anyone has an input to what I'm about to ask, please PM me. I only use Xtream-Editor for picking out the groups I want, plus the renaming and collating of my desired subset of channels. On my PC, I have WebGrab++, XML enrichment/cleansing, movement of files and triggering of xTeVe/Plex/Emby APIs etc, all governed by various scripts I've knocked up. I can probably recreate the Xtream-Editor functionality "in-house" but I've yet to find a means that is as simple as their service. Is there something similar I could host myself? How has everyone else achieved that functionality, or have people gone about it in a completely different way?

Spaceboy

@@BillOatman are you saying it's common for the providers to change all the channel names daily? That sounds like I might run into this issue a lot....

no just for live sport channels

Tony B.

Why aren't you guys taking advantage of the backup feature? It would have gotten those channels [and mappings] back in a heartbeat

Edited by Tony B.

hshah

@@MRobi, in an ideal world it shouldn't be common but given the nature of IPTV, it can vary a lot. I've not actually checked if my provider changes names (Xtream-Editor both hides and handles that part of it) but I do have channels being changed almost on a daily basis.

I think most of us have been tinkering for a while to get to a setup that works best for our use cases.

hshah

Why aren't you guys taking advantage of the backup feature? It would have gotten those channels [and mappings] back in a heartbeat

Only works if you pay attention to the time of day and not make a million changes before realising that the backup you had was too old and rework was required lol.

dcol

I'm actually using Xtream-Editor in front of xTeVe so I have made any channel name changes there, and only have to deal with entire channels being added/removed from my provider.

Having changed my numbering to be in the 100 - 999 range, anything that does get added appears in xTeVe from 1000 onwards, and conveniently at the bottom of the mappings list (when sorted by channel numbers).

Probably slightly off topic, so if anyone has an input to what I'm about to ask, please PM me. I only use Xtream-Editor for picking out the groups I want, plus the renaming and collating of my desired subset of channels. On my PC, I have WebGrab++, XML enrichment/cleansing, movement of files and triggering of xTeVe/Plex/Emby APIs etc, all governed by various scripts I've knocked up. I can probably recreate the Xtream-Editor functionality "in-house" but I've yet to find a means that is as simple as their service. Is there something similar I could host myself? How has everyone else achieved that functionality, or have people gone about it in a completely different way?

I am trying to minimize all the 'subscription' services. I use xTeVe to setup groups. Every once in a while the providers will add a channel that will pop up. But if you use the filters correctly, this will never impact your xTeVe m3u.

Tony B.

Then set the backup to 4 times a day or more.

post-427990-0-72920000-1557941365_thumb.png

Edited by Tony B.

BillOatman

@@BillOatman are you saying it's common for the providers to change all the channel names daily? That sounds like I might run into this issue a lot....

No, like @@Spaceboy said, just the live sports channels. Which is pretty much all I watch.

Edited by BillOatman

Tony B.

I'll add my 2-cents on numbering..

I have used DirecTV for a number of years throughout my life and remember the channel numbers very well. I stuck with that numbering to make it one less thing to try to remember.

dcol

I first sort by channel name then set the channel#'s so lists give me a channel name sort. Easier to find channels that way

Tony B.

I first sort by channel name then set the channel#'s so lists give me a channel name sort. Easier to find channels that way

Good idea as well.

MRobi

I'll add my 2-cents on numbering..

I have used DirecTV for a number of years throughout my life and remember the channel numbers very well. I stuck with that numbering to make it one less thing to try to remember.

I mimicked my cable provider's numbering logic but didn't map them exactly. For example sport channels with Bell TV start with TSN on channel 600. TSN2 - 601, TSN 3 - 602 etc... But my iptv provider has 3 different streams for each TSN, so I set TSN as 600, 601, 602 TSN2 is 603, 604, 605, etc... sports still start in the 600s, movies in the 500s, etc...

This is actually quite smart. Sure beats using the search function over and over again. Might make my renumbering process quicker

alexpaton

There is very little to it.  It takes very little in resources, and many people are running it in docker.

Tony B.

There is very little to it. It takes very little in resources, and many people are running it in docker.

The last thing I tried to run in docker was a disaster. Besides, isn't it just one file binary file like the Windows version is?

Spaceboy

Runs perfectly as a windows service. I switched to xteve just before Christmas set it up once and left it. It’s been brilliant

alexpaton

The last thing I tried to run in docker was a disaster. Besides, isn't it just one file binary file like the Windows version is?

Yes it is. 

There is a pre-made docker install on docker hub, with instructions, that are detailed on the Discord channel, in the #read-first section.

Tony B.

Yes it is.

There is a pre-made docker install on docker hub, with instructions, that are detailed on the Discord channel, in the #read-first section.

If it's one file that doesn't have a reason to apt install, then I see no reason to use docker.

flipper26

New to all of this. I'm trying to edit an m3u file in xteve to use in Emby and possibly other apps.  The provider has a section for TV shows which I know are active but show in xteve as being inactive but there's no way to make them active. Alot of the non-standard network selections are like this. How do I fix this?

Why do you need to renumber the channels - is that just a personal preference?

Thanks

Spaceboy

New to all of this. I'm trying to edit an m3u file in xteve to use in Emby and possibly other apps. The provider has a section for TV shows which I know are active but show in xteve as being inactive but there's no way to make them active. Alot of the non-standard network selections are like this. How do I fix this?

Thanks

you probably just need to activate the channels but you can’t do that until it’s matched to epg.

Renumbering is personal preference and for the ordering of the channels

• Like 1

EODCrafter

New to all of this. I'm trying to edit an m3u file in xteve to use in Emby and possibly other apps.  The provider has a section for TV shows which I know are active but show in xteve as being inactive but there's no way to make them active. Alot of the non-standard network selections are like this. How do I fix this?

Thanks

Since Emby and Plex are considered DVR's, I suppose the original idea to activate channel with no Guide Data wouldn't make any sense, otherwise you could just watch it in VLC.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Probably should have said, if there isn’t epg for you to match your channels against (from what you say that sounds like a possibility) then you should use the dummy epg feature in xteve. I use this for the live sport streams, the 24/7 channels my provider gives and anything I can’t find in my schedules direct xmltv downloads.

Its actually one of the best features of xteve

• Like 1

BillOatman

Probably should have said, if there isn’t epg for you to match your channels against (from what you say that sounds like a possibility) then you should use the dummy epg feature in xteve. I use this for the live sport streams, the 24/7 channels my provider gives and anything I can’t find in my schedules direct xmltv downloads.

Its actually one of the best features of xteve

I agree.  The only negative is not being able to record.

Spaceboy

I agree. The only negative is not being able to record.

why can’t you record?

BillOatman

why can’t you record?

The dummy xmltv entry from xteve wont start/end at the real time of the event, and AFAIK, you can only setup recordings based on the guide entry start/stop times.