Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

dcol

Yea, Not everyone has Resources like Emby, this is all done voluntarily with no Pay. There is no, never has been, nor will ever be, a Buffer option for M3U Tuners. Don't even bother going over there if that is all your looking for. I'm curios @@dcol, how do you get IPTV to work in Emby without Sorting the channels? Do you just throw 8k channels at Emby and let it randomly sort them?

I use xTeVe with filters so I just get the channels I want, then fine tune by disabling whats left. Then renumber to sort the channels.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

I keep wondering what @@Luke will come up with. I suspect it will be geared toward TV Card Tuners and not IPTV like the Emby Guide. They gotta keep the Share Holders Happy not us customers.

Edited by EODCrafter

dcol

I would like to see the long.... awaited channel management in Emby. But I will still use xTeVe to filter out the thousands of unwanted IPTV channels.

XTeVe isn't very good at handling multiple IPTV m3u's so I now only run one IPTV in three separate computers.

Spaceboy

Running two local iptv m3us (one edited to add in unique ids) into one version of xteve and onto Emby without issue for several months. No point holding out for Emby channel management

Curious about something @@Spaceboy.

If you are hand editing the M3U files to add unique IDs how do you handle daily updates?

What do you benefit by using it vs just hand editing the files?

Spaceboy

Curious about something @@Spaceboy.

If you are hand editing the M3U files to add unique IDs how do you handle daily updates?

What do you benefit by using it vs just hand editing the files?

i don’t hand edit them, the unique ids are added by a power shell script that downloads the file, edits and leaves it for xteve to pick them up. So I get the full xteve experience even though my provider doesn’t support unique ids. By full experience I mean keeping and updating the live event channels so I can watch the soccer
  • Like 1

What are you using for your unique IDs?

You doing an MD5 checksum of the URL or similar?

Spaceboy

nope, really simple [emoji3] find all lines with specific text in the channel name and insert a channel-id with an ascending counter
  • Like 1

BillOatman

nope, really simple [emoji3] find all lines with specific text in the channel name and insert a channel-id with an ascending counter

Yeah that's how I do it as well.  I wrote a app that creates m3u and xmltv entries for my providers sports packages because quite frankly, the providers suck.  I took the simple route for the IDs as well:

#EXTINF:-1 CUID="IrisNBATeam-01" tvg-id="NBA Team 01" tvg-name="NBA Orlando Magic at Atlanta Hawks - Hawks channel" tvg-logo="https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/National_Basketball_Association_logo.svg/150px-National_Basketball_Association_logo.svg.png" group-title="IrisNBATeam",NBA Team 01

EODCrafter

people could benefit if you shared the redacted script. I have one that adds channel numbers that can be tweaked if you don't.

Yeah that's how I do it as well.  I wrote a app that creates m3u and xmltv entries for my providers sports packages because quite frankly, the providers suck.  I took the simple route for the IDs as well:

#EXTINF:-1 CUID="IrisNBATeam-01" tvg-id="NBA Team 01" tvg-name="NBA Orlando Magic at Atlanta Hawks - Hawks channel" tvg-logo="https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/National_Basketball_Association_logo.svg/150px-National_Basketball_Association_logo.svg.png" group-title="IrisNBATeam",NBA Team 01

What happens if you have 2 or 3 M3U files and they all have a channel named "NBA Team 01"?

I see lots of duplicates this way "ION", "Hallmark", "TLC", etc..  That's why I asked about a checksum based on the URL or something that will be unique even if they have the same tvg-id or other tags the same.

BillOatman

I only did it for sports channels on my provider.  Making the provider name part of the CUID like I did would make them unique per provider. The text name "NBA Team 01" can be whatever you like.  Keeping the name from the original m3u might be the easiest way.  The only thing that needs to be unique is the CUID. you can include a GUID or whatever you like in the CUID. I'd stay away from the URL though as it could in theory change.

Edited by BillOatman

Spaceboy

What happens if you have 2 or 3 M3U files and they all have a channel named "NBA Team 01"?

I see lots of duplicates this way "ION", "Hallmark", "TLC", etc.. That's why I asked about a checksum based on the URL or something that will be unique even if they have the same tvg-id or other tags the same.

the script downloads and then analyses the iptv m3u. I search on the full tvg-name flag so it searches for ‘tvg-name=“EPL’ to avoid affecting any other channels

dcol

I also ran into the duplicate names from different providers. What I did to eliminate that is run xTeVe on different systems, each with one m3u, then pick out what I need and feed them to Emby

Tony B.

Questions from a new xTeve user not a newb...

Can I change the channel names on xTeve without repercussion?

Will Emby "catch up" to my new IPTV tuners for all the series recording once the guide data aggregates through the system? It shows that there are no upcoming showings for things that I'm looking at on the guide.

For the owner or someone that is very experienced with xTeve:

I have a subscription with 2 amount of simultaneous streams.

I want another playlist with 2 amount of total streams.

Is the 2 tuner limit per PLAYLIST or per server instance? 

Edited by abuttino

marmei

Questions from a new xTeve user not a newb...

Can I change the channel names on xTeve without repercussion?

Will Emby "catch up" to my new IPTV tuners for all the series recording once the guide data aggregates through the system? It shows that there are no upcoming showings for things that I'm looking at on the guide.

For the owner or someone that is very experienced with xTeve:

I have a subscription with 2 amount of simultaneous streams.

I want another playlist with 2 amount of total streams.

Is the 2 tuner limit per PLAYLIST or per server instance? 

You can change the channel name without any negative effects

If your XMLTV file contains episode information, Emby should recognize and record all new broadcasts.

The tuner limit is global for every xTeVe instance, but is only considered if you use xTeVe as the HDHomeRun tuner.

You can run multiple instances of xTeVe.

• Like 1

Tony B.

Thanks for the concise answer!

Is there any chance you could add "buffer length" for M3U IPTV streams that aren't HDHR?

Edited by abuttino

EODCrafter

Is there any chance you could add "buffer length" for M3U IPTV streams that aren't HDHR?

I've done some testing and it seems Emby buffer length for M3U Tuner is already 1-2 Minutes. (Can you confirm @@Luke ) I really don't see a need for this, but of course I will let @@marmei answer himself. (Buffer has no effect on M3U Streams as of now) 

When I say testing, what I have done, I have totally deleted xTeVe Directory that was used to feed Emby while watching the channel in Emby, and the Stream continued to Play for 1-2 Minutes after I deleted the entire Directory.

Edited by EODCrafter

marmei

xteve.m3u contains the original provider streaming URLs, so Emby connects directly to your provider.

In xTeVe 2.0, the buffer will also be available for the M3U.
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

xteve.m3u contains the original provider streaming URLs, so Emby connects directly to your provider.

Thanks for clarifying that! I didn't know the Buffer will be added for M3U Streams as well. :)

Tony B.

Nice to hear. Glad you are keeping it going! My IPTV provider suggests an 3-10sec buffer so that it doesn't fail as often.

I have a feeling your application is about to get a serious jump in the user base after what happened with HDHR Premium TV!

It has already saved me in several ways!

EODCrafter

Nice to hear. Glad you are keeping it going! My IPTV provider suggests an 3-10sec buffer so that it doesn't fail as often.

I have a feeling your application is about to get a serious jump in the user base after what happened with HDHR Premium TV!

It has already saved me in several ways!

I still think Emby already Buffers M3U Tuners...Try my little test if you won't believe me ;)

Be sure xTeVe is backed up 1st, of course.

Edited by EODCrafter

• 3 weeks later...