Using XTeVe with Emby

EODCrafter
Go to solution Solved by EODCrafter,

xTeVe works nicely now that I have my filters where I want them. Filters are really needed with huge channel numbers IPTV's

Spaceboy

There is so many. I don't even use an antenna I rely on m3u playlists and embys native live tv doesn't even give you a page where it list the channels in its groupings in alphabetical order. The IPTV plugin doesn't accept m3u playlists either. I might give xteve a go.

oh yeah it’s appalling. They designed the whole live tv section for Janet and John (very basic) hdhr users. Anything more complicated was not considered. Make sure you let the devs here know how awful it is for non hdhr users because they don’t know and think we like to moan for the sake of it. Xteve is not straightforward but will get you everything you want with a little effort
  • Like 2

blackboy211

Does anybody know if there is a limit to how many channels you can have in xTeve? I know you can't have more than 480 channels or something in Plex. Does this max also apply to emby? 

With the eventual demise of SiliconDust PremiumTV anyone want to PM me on setting up a m3u/iptv source in Emby?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

EODCrafter

Does anybody know if there is a limit to how many channels you can have in xTeve? I know you can't have more than 480 channels or something in Plex. Does this max also apply to emby? 

Nope, I have had 11k.

With the eventual demise of SiliconDust PremiumTV anyone want to PM me on setting up a m3u/iptv source in Emby?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Easy, just find a provider. Google and you will find one. Then put their playlist in the Live TV settings. Use their xml or the Emby guide data.

Word of caution,when looking for IPTV providers. Cheaper is not better. A good service will run $100-$200 a year depending on the number of connections.

Edited by dcol
  • Like 1

jad3675

Easy, just find a provider. Google and you will find one. Then put their playlist in the Live TV settings. Use their xml or the Emby guide data.

Word of caution,when looking for IPTV providers. Cheaper is not better. A good service will run $100-$200 a year depending on the number of connections.

If you're paying more than $10/month you're paying too much for the service.

Issue with 'discount' providers is they buy block subscriptions then resell them. This leads to no support and a dependency on the seller to honor the service in the long term. In the beginning I purchased a one year subscription for $50 from one of these discount services and found my account only lasted for 2 months. After that time the seller gave me a new account which lasted for one month. Then the seller disappeared. My advice is to use a provider who is actually providing the service and not just an account and make sure they have support.

If you're paying more than $10/month you're paying too much for the service.

around $120-$150 a year is normal.

oh yeah it’s appalling. They designed the whole live tv section for Janet and John (very basic) hdhr users. Anything more complicated was not considered. Make sure you let the devs here know how awful it is for non hdhr users because they don’t know and think we like to moan for the sake of it. Xteve is not straightforward but will get you everything you want with a little effort

Got news for you.  Trying to use only HDHomeRuns with a mix of OTA & Cable is no picnic either.  As an example CBS is 3.1 on OTA and 1003 on Cable.  That gives two different channels in grid vs combining them using either channel number.  If you have a Quatro and a Prime HDHomeRun then CBS should be available on 7 tuners in total.  It's the same problem people have trying to use multiple IPTV files.

• Like 1

Are there any docs explaining how the filters work? I am referring to if the order is important, and how you would create a filter that excludes all else.

I am trying to set filters that show what I want in the mappings, but nothing else.

In the example below I assumed I would only see the items that I allow, but some other channels are also getting in the list. See pics below

5c7574598c94f_xteve4.jpg

How are channels like this getting into the list?

5c7575b35d7cc_xteve5.jpg

If you are wondering why I have 'US | CBS' at the top, it was the only way to get the US | CBS local channels.

Edited by dcol

EODCrafter

No Docs Doc, It's pretty much trial and error.

5c757790c6080_Screenshotfrom201902261129

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Are there any docs explaining how the filters work? I am referring to if the order is important, and how you would create a filter that excludes all else.

I am trying to set filters that show what I want in the mappings, but nothing else.

In the example below I assumed I would only see the items that I allow, but some other channels are also getting in the list. See pics below

5c7574598c94f_xteve4.jpg

How are channels like this getting into the list?

5c7575b35d7cc_xteve5.jpg

If you are wondering why I have 'US | CBS' at the top, it was the only way to get the US | CBS local channels.

DIY is defined in your Filter and the Polish Channel is Because in that list is a p and a l and it pulls that channel. It goes by group-title in your m3u along with other Key Names...Similar to a Spread Sheet or Database Sort.

Edited by EODCrafter

DIY is defined in your Filter and the Polish Channel is Because in that list is a p and a l and it pulls that channel. It goes by group-title in your m3u.

Duh, on the DIY, but I don't have any PL or Polish in the list. And it only pulled 3 or so PL channels when there are actually 100 or so.

Are wildcards allowed?

Just changed DIY to DIY !{CA} and the PL's went away

Edited by dcol

EODCrafter

Duh, on the DIY, but I don't have any PL or Polish in the list. And it only pulled 3 or so PL channels when there are actually 100 or so.

Are wildcards allowed?

ESPN, Louis I assume is why it pulls that channel.....No xTeVe won't read Wild Cards.

Edited by EODCrafter

ESPN, Louis I assume is why it pulls that channel.....No xTeVe won't read Wild Cards.

Nope, changed DIY to DIY !{CA} did the trick, go figure. PL's gone.

Shame on wildcards. Filter's are trial and error.

Edited by dcol

EODCrafter

Start with your m3u and looking at group titles, then filter down with !{this,that} to exclude what you don't want. Look at my example.....

Start with your m3u and looking at group titles, then filter down with !{this,that} to exclude what you don't want. Look at my example.....

Thanks!

EODCrafter

Thanks!

Careful about exclusions...I learned the hard way...I excluded !{IE} hoping to remove all IE channels and it removed all the channels that had IE in the name :). I changed it and added !{IE:} so then only specific IE: were removed.

Edited by EODCrafter

Careful about exclusions...I learned the hard way...I excluded !{IE} hoping to remove all IE channels and it removed all the channels that had IE in the name :). I changed it and added !{IE:} so then only specific IE: were removed.

Found that out by trial and error. At least it supports non-alphanumeric and punctuation like | . - :

Edited by dcol

• 3 weeks later...
dcol

When trying to use group-title in Emby, It doesn't accept file paths, only URL's. Is that an Emby thing?

I have xTeve on the same computer as Emby and

this works

http://localhost:34400/m3u/xteve.m3u?group-title=EMBY

and this does not

C:\Users\MediaServ1\xteve\data\xteve.m3u?group-title=EMBY

I guess it is ok just using the URL. Just thought the file path would be better.

Edited by dcol

You CAN send parameters to a "web server" but you can't send parameters to a "file".  :)

xTeVe can dynamically send information back based on a parameter but the file it generates is static of course.

When I was using xTeVe (replaced) I had it slim down everything so I didn't need the group "Emby" like you are doing.  I did this specifically so that I could use the file it produced nightly vs using the URL.  The reason I did this is xTeVe glitched one time on me and wasn't running.  Emby then REMOVED all the M3U channels from the EPG since they didn't exists.  With the file based approach I always have them even if it's a day or two old. :)

PS I do the same for any channel list I use.  I will pull the M3U down to the local box, just to make sure the M3U exists as a file Emby will ALWAYS find.

Carlo

• Like 2

dcol

Is there any way to bind xTeVe to a particular IP/NIC? I want to install on a server with 2 NIC's. One connected to my LAN and the other to the internet. I can't change the metrics or it will affect other software. I tried ForceBindIP, but xTeVe still starts to the wrong interface.

I know you can change the port. Any way to change the binding?