Popcorn Hour A-100 can't play anything via DLNA

SenorSmartyPants

SenorSmartyPants

VLC as a DLNA client works fine on my network.

PCH A-100 can browse the emby DLNA directories, everything seems fine there. When I click to play something, A-100 screen says it is buffering for a couple seconds and then says Could not play the video.

The same thing basically happens if I use the android phone emby app and try to play to the A-100.

I can play DLNA fine on A-100 using plex.

I'm happy to help debug this, just tell me what you might need. Log files from either emby or plex.

Hi, most likely the media format that we're trying to send is not supported. In other words, we're either trying to direct play when we should be converting, or vice versa. Do you know how it tried to play?

SenorSmartyPants

How do I figure out what emby is sending to PCH?

PCH is able to direct play almost everything in my library.

SenorSmartyPants

here's a couple logs. not sure which request the directstream log is for.

I first attempted to just use the A-100 to browse and then play an MPEG-2 from my HDHR. Then I tried using my phone to play to the A-100 (that didn't even seem to try to send anything when I was hitting play. Then there was just playing the video directly on my phone.

embyserver.txt

https://pastebin.com/NkEgJVn0

ffmpeg-directstream-356d145e-f6d3-4e2c-9d13-c69ebd534838_1.txt

https://pastebin.com/cRNbF8eJ

SenorSmartyPants

Yes. This file plays fine via Samba.

The A-100 supports just about everything, except h.265 and some very high level h.264 profiles.

A-100 plays this file via Plex as a DirectPlay.

Edited by SenorSmartyPants

Ok what i'm going to do is just delete our popcorn hour profile and just let it use the default profile, which is set to direct play just about everything. thanks.

SenorSmartyPants

Ok. Please let me know what beta this makes it into and I'll test it out.

Also, is there an article on how to modify a DLNA profile to tweak the settings? There are a couple of audio codecs that the PCH can pass-thru that my AVC can't decode. So I'd like to have emby trancode the audio on those. Here are a couple examples

EAC 5.1 -> AC3 5.1

AAC 5.1 -> AC3 5.1

Thanks!

SenorSmartyPants

And a thought occurred to me. Plex DLNA URLs end in just file.mkv or file.ts, etc while emby does not terminate with the file extension. I don't know if this is having an effect on the A-100 or not. But if the default profile doesn't work perhaps this is an area to look at?

SenorSmartyPants

I tried with the newest beta. Same result, nothing plays. Didn't have a chance to look at the log files yet.

You may need to delete the popcorn profile xml file from the server manually as it's probably picking it up from your previous version.

SenorSmartyPants

Does the log show which dlna profile gets used for a device? I've looked at the popcorn hour profile and didn't see any identification info so I wasn't sure that was even getting used. Or is there some hard coded matching going on?

SenorSmartyPants

I also went back and looked in the first log I posted. It was using the generic profile there as well.

Is there anyway to try a upnp stream from emby but have the url end in the container extension?

like http://emby-dlna/some/dirs/or/whatever/file.mkv

Just to test if the problem is not having the extension right at the end. Plex has urls like this. Don't know if that's the issue thou, just trying to rule it out.

Well that is already a direct stream url, the problem is that the params on the query string appear to be encoded improperly by the device, so i have to try to find a workaround given that i can't test it without having a popcorn hour. Thanks.

SenorSmartyPants

I see the funky query string you mention.

I'm happy to test any workarounds you come up with. Any chance of putting that into a docker image? That's how I currently have emby installed and would be easy to test anything you come up with. Currently running the beta.

Thanks.

Maybe a urlrewrite to the support having the querystring parameters in the url path instead. Then nothing will get escaped incorrectly.

push this to DLNA client 

http://192.168.1.1:8096/videos/5291/2ff1679e68cf7223ec39e7aca860d22a/cbf1493dfa465bf2a0b1b63789949380/true/1/3a839a7bb9b0204e265cece6c5b8c9b0/true/stream.mkv

and have the server rewrite it to the current form

http://192.168.1.1:8096/videos/5291/stream.mkv?DeviceId=2ff1679e68cf7223ec39e7aca860d22a&MediaSourceId=cbf1493dfa465bf2a0b1b63789949380&Static=true&AudioStreamIndex=1&Tag=3a839a7bb9b0204e265cece6c5b8c9b0&dlnaheaders=true

Just a thought.

If while poking around in the DLNA code you make it register as activity on the server and then also sync to trakt, that would be super awesome. Double thanks. 

Edited by SenorSmartyPants

I'll see if i can think of anything. Unfortunately without having one of these for testing it's pretty much going to be guesswork.