EMC - Can't skip forward/back with remote or mouse...?

nJizm
Go to solution Solved by chuga,

jachin99

That normally is a good test, but I don't think the wmc library supports mkv so that doesn't apply here.

Typically many users install codec packs or enable mkv playback in wmc. I think you have to be nqble mkv playback in wmc to view mkvs in the emby library. At least this is how I have always done it.

jachin99

I never updated LAV or anything (until yesterday) - but I don't have windows updates disabled so if it was a change it was most likely a windows update change which caused the issue. I have not installed anything else (software, etc) on that HTPC in years and it is just bare bones windows 7 / WMC / emby (I don't have itunes or anything else on it).

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

thanks

Do a full backup then maybe look into sharks codec pack.

jachin99

Does installing either Emby Server or Emby for WMC add MKV support to windows 7?  Do either one of these come with LAV during the installation process?

Does installing either Emby Server or Emby for WMC add MKV support to windows 7?  Do either one of these come with LAV during the installation process?

No.

jachin99

Hello, 

Issue in Emby Classic for WMC. Has worked for years, but stopped working. I cannot skip forward/backward, and I cannot even use my mouse to click to the timestamp I want to resume at. 

Log attached, appreciate the help. Thanks @@ebr.

Hi,

Experiencing the same issue, cannot skip forward/backward with remote, or clicking the WMC buttons with the mouse on screen. Using Emby Classic for WMC. The server and player are on the same PC, and all files are local play from internal hard drives. Log attached.

My FF/RW capability has also recently stopped working.   I have the correct UNC paths, etc and did not change anything...it just stopped working at some point.

Which versions of LAV are you all using?  I can compare these to the version installed with shark's codec pack, and possibly help troubleshoot.  

dansblackcat

Try disabling the "Human Interface Device Access" service?

Then re-enable it and start it again.

jachin99

This might be a dumb question but does Emc or WMC every confirm a seek attempt was successful?  Is there a way either the server or client can report the new playback position after a seek command has been executed?  I peeked around a few logs, which I am still figuring out how to interpret, and I see lines about trying to seek but I can't see any confirmation responses.  Could the confirmation be MediaCenterEnvironment_PropteryChanged line?  Can the server report new playback positions to a log file?  

To answer a few of the earlier posts:

I am now using Lav .73.1.  I was using some older version when these issues popped up but have since installed the latest (.73.1).  I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling LAV.

In regards to the 'human interface device' restart - most of the RC buttons work (play, pause, stop, etc) and the mouse and keyboard work.  ALso I have rebooted which would restart the service.   For some reason the FF/RW and resume features do not work.

This is similar a few years ago to when I had my substitution paths set incorrectly but I checked and they appear to look correct (is there any test I can do to confirm this?).

I also upgraded to Emby WMC beta (I was using stable) version last night but it did not help.

thanks

dansblackcat

Have you tried this?

Run cmd prompt as administrator and enter sfc /scannow (sfc<space>/scannow).

This will check and repair any missing or corrupt system files.

When my paths or network settings are incorrect none of my media will direct play, that's the way I usually tell that there's an issue.  Also from memory I think that they all play in stereo audio so I'll notice that the 5.1 icon isn't lit up on my amp.

Hi Luke, EBR

just checking one last time if these features (FF, RW and resume) are broken for good in emby WMC?   these are pretty basic/critical features.

thanks

jachin99

Hi Luke, EBR

just checking one last time if these features (FF, RW and resume) are broken for good in emby WMC?   these are pretty basic/critical features.

thanks

They still work for me, and I'm on the beta channel of EMC & Server.  

Hi @@Luke

I am looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot and fix.  It if is a WMC issue I can only imagine it was caused by an automatic update as I never install or change anything on the HTPC.  It has been running for years and is a dedicated HTPC (no games, etc).

@jachin99  - have you disabled windows automatic updates?   If this was a WMC issue from an update is there a way I can rollback to a previous version and get compatibility?  btw - I am on windows 7.

thanks

It could also be a codec pack update.

I never updated the LAV filters (for a long time) until the issue started.  I just updated to newest LAV last week as part of trying to fix the issue.

Is there anything else I can do to determine if WMC, Emby, or LAV ?

thanks

Unfortunately that's difficult because while the WMC video library would be a good test, from what I understand it's not possible to add mkv's to it.

Unfortunately that's difficult because while the WMC video library would be a good test, from what I understand it's not possible to add mkv's to it.

would other media types be different?   I have some .mp4s. ....

• Solution

Somehow I fixed it - it was a windows update.

roughly here is what I tried

1) I uninstalled all of the last few weeks worth of windows updates (although there was one that did not let me uninstall it).   This did not fix the issue

2) I did a system restore back to 12/1/2018 (farthest back I could go).  this  did not fix it.

3) I ran windows update and installed all of the updates and optional updates -this fixed it!

also during the restore it went back to a .6 version of LAV.  

so no idea what update actually fixed the issue but at least it is working.  I now have disabled automatic updates and hopefully can 'freeze' the HTPC in this state.

thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

Issue in Emby Classic for WMC. Has worked for years, but stopped working. I cannot skip forward/backward, and I cannot even use my mouse to click to the timestamp I want to resume at. 

Log attached, appreciate the help. Thanks @@ebr.

I can see this post is closed, But just in case someone comes across it searching for a solution to the same issue;

I also had the same issue after rebuilding and migrating my old emby server to new hardware and a new O/S.

I had emby on an old rack mount server running W2012e with a domain, with 6+ terminals joined running WIN7 and media Centre, playback has worked for well over 6 years.

after migrating to a new microserver with W2012r2 (i have a license and couldn't justify spending money on W2016), and dissolving the domain, I noticed that DirectPlay was not working as nJizm had described.

web playback worked fine. but within media centre i could not skip, FF or resume, and if i minimised the screen it would stop play. 

long story short, i had restricted fileshare access and removed "everyone" and added some read only users and disabled password protect sharing (the terminals no longer have passwords)

i re-added "everyone" to my media libraries and added the optional UNC path in emby server.

its all working again now!

ACK nJizm's Emby server is also his playback device so the network share should not be an issue.

but the symptoms were very similar.

Edited by DUG

Hi - well I have tried a few different movies (Arthur Christmas ,e tc_ also today with no success.   These all worked in the past so it is odd these features stopped working.

I am aware of Emby Theater.  The main reason I do not use it is that I do not have the energy to mess with how to get the remote to launch it (i.e. using the green button).   I am aware of various software for configuring remotes with windows commands but they all take time and energy to configure.   WMC (until recently) "just worked"

thanks!

Have you got around to trying Emby Theatre again?

I have had to get this going on a few that i have built, there is a bit of overkill on posts about getting TBG button working on WIN10 for MCE remotes, but the solution has been pretty straight forward for me.

I used "AdvancedMCERemoteMapper" and mapped the TBG button to WIN+1 after placing emby in the taskbar at position 1. nice and easy, and works every time for me and the people i built them for.

WIN7's days a re numbered and the MB Classic is aged 

WIN10 is effectively still a free O/S as long as you have a WIN7 licence, and Emby Theatre is much nicer to browse and has good codec support out of the box. 

on the ones i have built I have not even needed to install codec packs, and everything has just worked, DD, DTS even subtitles.

WIN7 is a pain sometimes.

this being said, my viewers are all still on WIN7. I have not yet bought the premium for myself (I will, but it is $180 ATM), and If it aint broke don't fix it. 

Edited by DUG