EMC - Can't skip forward/back with remote or mouse...?

nJizm
Go to solution Solved by chuga,

In that log, it looks like the item is direct playing and seeking is working fine...

When you say "you cannot click your mouse" do you mean the app doesn't respond to any clicks at all?

In that log, it looks like the item is direct playing and seeking is working fine...

When you say "you cannot click your mouse" do you mean the app doesn't respond to any clicks at all?

Hmph. Well, when I use my remote to 'skip forward' or 'skip backward', it just keeps playing. I mentioned the computer mouse, because sometimes if you have a 45 minute long video you may want to skip to 22:49 by clicking that on the 'time elapsed bar'... and that doesn't work either. Nothing happens. 

Essentially, as it sits I can only play, pause, stop, resume a file. I cannot skip or change the time elapsed at all. 

jachin99

When I had that problem i believe it was because emby did not have direct access to my media.  Have you entered UNC paths for all of your media in Emby server library setup?

When I had that problem i believe it was because emby did not have direct access to my media.  Have you entered UNC paths for all of your media in Emby server library setup?

Hey, thanks for checking. The server and player are on the same PC, and all files are local play from internal hard drives. I'm still trying to figure out 'what broke'... as I didn't knowingly change anything in the setup. It just stopped working one day. 

Thanks!

dansblackcat

Hmph. Well, when I use my remote to 'skip forward' or 'skip backward', it just keeps playing. I mentioned the computer mouse, because sometimes if you have a 45 minute long video you may want to skip to 22:49 by clicking that on the 'time elapsed bar'... and that doesn't work either. Nothing happens. 

Essentially, as it sits I can only play, pause, stop, resume a file. I cannot skip or change the time elapsed at all. 

FYI you can use your remote to skip forward in the video.  For example hit the number(s) 2, 2 and then the play button and you'll skip to 22mins.

Edited by dansblackcat

• 5 weeks later...

Longtime/Lifetime supporter. 

Issue is still unresolved, drives me crazy when I can't skip forward. I end up exiting Emby, and manually playing via VLC which is annoying. 

Anything else I can do to help diagnose the problem?

Thanks. 

haydena215

Hi,

Experiencing the same issue, cannot skip forward/backward with remote, or clicking the WMC buttons with the mouse on screen. Using Emby Classic for WMC. The server and player are on the same PC, and all files are local play from internal hard drives. Log attached.

embyserver.txt

Edited by haydena215

• 2 weeks later...

My FF/RW capability has also recently stopped working.   I have the correct UNC paths, etc and did not change anything...it just stopped working at some point.

see attached   thanks

Are you going to be upset if I say "I don't know" ?  Because literally all we are doing is passing the path of your video file to the Windows Media Center video player:

2018-12-02 12:54:29.1522,Debug,,Calling MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia: \\192.168.1.192\Kids Movies\Early Man (2018)\Early Man (2018).mkv,1,Application

This sounds to me like Windows Media Center doesn't support seeking this file. Have you checked out our new Emby Theater app? It is designed to fully replace Windows Media Center:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Thanks !

Are you going to be upset if I say "I don't know" ?  Because literally all we are doing is passing the path of your video file to the Windows Media Center video player:

2018-12-02 12:54:29.1522,Debug,,Calling MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia: \\192.168.1.192\Kids Movies\Early Man (2018)\Early Man (2018).mkv,1,Application

This sounds to me like Windows Media Center doesn't support seeking this file. Have you checked out our new Emby Theater app? It is designed to fully replace Windows Media Center:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Thanks !

Hi - well I have tried a few different movies (Arthur Christmas ,e tc_ also today with no success.   These all worked in the past so it is odd these features stopped working.

I am aware of Emby Theater.  The main reason I do not use it is that I do not have the energy to mess with how to get the remote to launch it (i.e. using the green button).   I am aware of various software for configuring remotes with windows commands but they all take time and energy to configure.   WMC (until recently) "just worked"

thanks!

Thanks for the honest answer.

I'm in the same boat as above poster, due to WAF and just generally no issues with WMC up until this point (and resilient liveTV/DVR features) I have not had the energy to make the leap to Emby Theater.

I know the time will come when I need to, and maybe that time is now.

My biggest issue, is liveTV not working correctly with my Emby Theater. Works fine in SiliconDust love viewer and WMC but Emby Theater is frustratingly inconsistent. Even after paying twice for schedulesdirect...So, maybe I'll try again for the 3rd time and create a support thread if needed.

Appreciate the effort looking into it for us. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dansblackcat

I don't believe that this is an emby issue.  It happened to me several times and it was always a windows issue, or an issue with other programs.

Open task manager and try closing anything that's running that's not essential.  Programs known to cause issues are Chrome and itunes.

There are also utilities you can try that will tell you if your PC is receiving and outputting the commands from the remote.  (MCE remote mapper, from memory).

WMC has never had native support for MKV.  It has always been external codec packs (like LAV) that have enabled support for these.

It sounds like either Windows updates or other changes in the Windows environment is affecting this.

Or possible changes to the codec packages. Perhaps the developers of LAV just aren't testing WMC anymore.

jachin99

Have any of you who are having problems checked to see if the same issue exists in the regular wmc library? If so it would seem to point to a codec issue

Have any of you who are having problems checked to see if the same issue exists in the regular wmc library? If so it would seem to point to a codec issue

That normally is a good test, but I don't think the wmc library supports mkv so that doesn't apply here.

I never updated LAV or anything (until yesterday) - but I don't have windows updates disabled so if it was a change it was most likely a windows update change which caused the issue.  I have not installed anything else (software, etc) on that HTPC in years and it is just bare bones windows 7 / WMC / emby (I don't have itunes or anything else on it).

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

thanks