Favorites?

Chyron

Chyron

I have seen Emby on a lot of clients and for me the bonus is they look similar eat your heart out Plex.

When I started switching everyone to Emby I was explaining "favourites"

One person uses a roku and it's the only device I personally haven't seen. They are saying they don't see favourites on the home screen.

So if any of you guys use a Roku could you let me know where to access them and I can pass the info on.

Chyron

Favorites on the Roku app can be found by:

• Going into a Library (eg. "Movies" or "TV Shows"),
  • Selecting "All Movies/Shows" at the top,
  • Pressing the Star * key on the Roku remote to access Options.
  • On the right, a popout menu will appear,
  • Under "Filter" check the box labeled "Favorites."
Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

Favorites on the Roku app can be found by:

• Going into a Library (eg. "Movies" or "TV Shows"),
  • Selecting "All Movies/Shows" at the top,
  • Pressing the Star * key on the Roku remote to access Options.
  • On the right, a popout menu will appear,
  • Under "Filter" check the box labeled "Favorites."

It isn't necessary to use the view tabs and all that extra leg work of button presses to get your favorites.

There should be a "favorites" row in your libraries once you enter them. When you enter a library scroll down, there will be a favorites row for that library type. If it isn't there it should be. If you find a library type that doesn't include a favorites row with it please let us know.

Maybe there should be a single favorites button on the homescreen which opens up to show you every type of media item you've ever favorited in all your libraries? I did notice this wasn't on the homescreen.. should it be?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

Maybe there should be a single favorites button on the homescreen which opens up to show you every type of media item you've ever favorited in all your libraries? I did notice this wasn't on the homescreen.. should it be?

With blue neon coming to a end I have been trying to use the official client more and this is one feature I wish was in there. I love how blue neon has it right on the home screen.

mikeraburn

Maybe at the end, or somewhere, on the MY MEDIA at the main screen 

OR

Add a button in the individual libraries in-between ALL  First Button (whatever it is) and BY Letter

Edited by mikeraburn

Add a button in the individual libraries in-between ALL  First Button (whatever it is) and BY Letter

As Speechles said above, this is unnecessary as there is a row of Favorites already right there on that screen...

There should be a "favorites" row in your libraries once you enter them. When you enter a library scroll down, there will be a favorites row for that library type. If it isn't there it should be. If you find a library type that doesn't include a favorites row with it please let us know.

The problem is there is no good way to do this in the TV designs.

I don't think the global favorites is really all that useful - especially when you have to put it behind a different button.  At that point, you can just as easily enter a library and there it is.

The problem is there is no good way to do this in the TV designs.

I don't think the global favorites is really all that useful - especially when you have to put it behind a different button.  At that point, you can just as easily enter a library and there it is.

There is a way to do this. But.. good way.. I like how you clarified the statement. The way to do it on the homescreen is as just a row, throw it all in there however it comes out. Then everything is there and give the little [show more] button if people want to jump this into a full grid. But then there is the issue, oh how the grid loves types. It doesn't so much like when everything is all different flavors of image size. It hates that. It wants all the images to be of a certain size so it can better do a grid. A grid of not all the same is, a mess, not a grid. So respecting that it makes it, harder to do like blue neon. In a way, since in blue neon we were forced to be in a row. Here there is a row, there is a grid, there is a markup list, there is a lot we can do.

With blue neon, it just sorted favorites by types into rows. Movies, Trailers, Series, Episodes, Video, People, Artists/AlbumArtists, Albums, Songs, Audio Podcasts, etc.. This is exactly how the web client does it at least on the stable version.

It would be possible to add this as a a merged favorites row on the homescreen, say with just 30 items in it. Then everything favorited is in that row merged into the one row. Only 30 can show in this row. Rows can show more than one image size/type without real issues. Then have a [show more] button at the end of the 30 if there are indeed more favorites than 30. Then when the [show more] button is clicked it launches into the separate views of each type looking just like blue neon and the web client. This is sort of like the detail view, but without the bit with the animation at the top showing with descriptions and all that. It would just mainly be the rows under this: Movies, Trailers, Series, etc.. then each of these rows has another [show more] button that if clicked launches you into the full grid for that type.

You would see the favorites row on the homescreen, but not the movie you want to watch that you favorited. It isn't in the row, so you click [show more] it pops up the spread out types. Then you look in the movies row of 30 it shows, not the one you want shown there either so you click the [show more] in the movies row of the separate types. Immediately you are presented with a full grid and you see the movie you want. Move to it. Click Play on it. Watch it. That's how it could work, and allow you to still see the favorites without having another button. It would just start out as a small row on the homescreen that could do alot when required. To get to the [show more] from the start of the row it is just 1 press left. It is very quick. These rows do wrap.

All of this is conceptual mind you, not anything to get your hopes up for yet. Just something to whet the appetites.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I'm good with the way it is.

I was just tossing out suggestions where I thought it may flow best if changed.

The main screen is busy enough as is right now.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I'm good with the way it is.

I was just tossing out suggestions where I thought it may flow best if changed.

The main screen is busy enough as is right now.

Cmon.. you aren't good with how it is or you wouldn't have mentioned it missing.

I am doing the work here to fix this. I have a clear idea of how this should work. Right now I have a favorites row on the homescreen. It is all items you've ever favorited, but just 30 show in the row initially. This has a [show more] button. If you click into this it expands to look just like blue neon and the web client. Separate rows for all your favorite Movies, Shows, Episodes, Music Artists, Music Albums, and Songs. This separated favorite screen also shows the synopsis and other info. So it is better than blue neon. These separate rows also have [show more] if there is more items than 30 items in them. If you clicked into this [show more] it then expands to a full poster grid of the entire favorites for that type.

Think of it like blue neon does it, only on steroids. The way this works is pretty sweet, a double [show more] nested. Now this might be wrong. I might have done this inappropriately, but I believe it is done the way users would want it presented. I am telling you first because you deserve to know. If I could show you screenshots I would, but leaking things prior to approval for them is difficult. So let me get approval for what I've done and then we can go from there. I am trying to get you your homescreen favorites row, for all favorites combined and the blue neon feel here. Please bear with me. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

OMG Becky,

I truly am good with it!

It's there and works!

• 6 months later...
PuffyToesToo

I would love to have that.