Roku emby app won’t render Cyrillic alphabet

chudak

Wow ok, unfortunately the answer is Roku may not support it. I know this because Roku only supports a limited set of languages for subtitles, and anything else we have to burn in with transcoding.

I assume this all looks normal in the web app?

Actually.. Its the Roboto font in the app that may not support it.

I added a pull request to hopefully correct this issue. Apologies for the problem. We have fixed it. Try again with the next emby roku beta.

Edited by speechles

I see the same problem on beta as well.

Did you expect it to work ?

Can you please confirm the version number of your Roku app?

The font used is Roboto Condensed Regular when rendering the guide for live tv. This is the font having problems with your Cyrillic. I doubt it is an UTF8 to ISO8859-1 issue Roku has with some things (such as subtitles/captions) as those usually cause the UTF8 byte sequences to literally become characters. There would be alot of uppercase A's with accents over them if that were so. Not just boxes. So it must be the font. The title in your screenshot appears correct. That looks Russian in Cyrillic for sure. But that is a different font than used in the guide for livetv. The issue may be I didn't get the right/perfect font for Roboto Condensed Regular either... :/

Edited by speechles

• 2 months later...

Yes it is and he changed the font to try to account for this but I still guess we haven't gotten there.