Emby Live TV - hdhomerun

williamdosa

Chuckmcf

Using Firestick 4K, Samsung TV and AC WiFi. Channels change in 2-4 seconds by doing the following. Go to the following under Emby’s options—>Settings—>LiveTV—>Check “Direct Stream LiveTV”. Channel change and startup loading changed from 8-10 to 2-4 seconds. Not as good as HDHR but tolerable and, as a previous poster stated, since it supports many formats a little delay is ok. Plex a MUCH slower IMHO.

Looks like I'm not the only one. Is slow channel changing being addressed for Roku and Android TV in the next stable update?

Android TV can definitely be improved, but most Roku devices do not supported mpeg2 therefore some transcoding will be required. This will result in a few extra seconds of a delay. What Roku device do you have?

The current beta of the Android TV app can tune my IPTV channels in under a second when direct streaming and HDHR channels in 3-6 seconds.  Everyone's environment is a little different though and, if needing time-shifting of live streams then startup will be a bit slower.

That's part of the key right there on performance differences we all see.

If you don't need the ability to pause, RW/FF you can start up much quicker and shave a few seconds off the startup time.

If you use a client that can direct play the streams then this will be fastest, followed by direct streaming and left behind in last place will be transcoding.

If you try to watch CBS with mpeg2 video on a Roku3 for instance that doesn't support Mpeg2Video then the server has no choice but to transcode the stream to H.264 so the Roku3 can play it. The latest Rokus like the Premier/Ultras can now play Mpeg2 video.

Besides just the video codec and audio codecs that need support there is also interlacing issues that Emby handles behind the scenes.  For example the Rokus don't deinterlace automatically like a Shield TV or Theater running on PC or even Android Mobile.  This requires transcoding on the server so the stream can be deinterlaced.

Emby does a lot of checking behind the scenes so that the content can be played back one way or another in all of their apps including mobile!  So it's not really fair to compare startup times to dedicated apps that already know all codecs and formats are supported on the device.  This would include HDHomeRun, LiveChannels, WMC for example.

• Like 1

@caters

Are you assisting with development now?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

If you mean Emby development, NO.

I may get involved with some plugins or something like that. Got a couple things I might be interested in.

I am however a systems architect and former developer working in several languages and do a lot of work with video, especially conversions (transcoding). Done everything IT wise from development to being a CIO of an airline company but spent most of my career doing fortune 50/500 consulting on high end databases and data acquisition.  I get around. :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/17/2018 at 10:31 AM, clarkss12 said:

I can live with the slow loading, but lack of closed captions is what keeps me from transitioning entirely to Emby for live TV.

@clarkss12

Universal closed caption support is coming: