Emby Live TV - hdhomerun

williamdosa

williamdosa
I’m a current Plex user and I’m not happy with their live tv or Dvr solution.

Does emby transcode live tv like Plex? I watch through Apple tv’s.

It takes up to 8 seconds to start a live tv channel.

EODCrafter

I’m a current Plex user and I’m not happy with their live tv or Dvr solution.

Does emby transcode live tv like Plex? I watch through Apple tv’s.

It takes up to 8 seconds to start a live tv channel.

That's a Opinionated question. Some will say it's Ultra-Fast some will say it's not. I suggest just trying it yourself and determine if it meets "your" needs. Emby will not Direct Play over any App because of App Store Policies.

With that being said. it doesn't necessarily Have to Transcode.

Perhaps this is not true with HDHomeRun...Not sure.

Edited by EODCrafter

mastrmind11

You can direct play/stream Live TV  though if you want to timeshift you're obviously going to need to transcode the stream.

kanipek

Emby will not Direct Play over any App because of App Store Policies.

Emby does Direct Play Live TV. What exactly are you referring to here?

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Emby does Direct Play Live TV. What exactly are you referring to here?

Referring to and exact quote from Luke.....https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63676-channel-takes-20-seconds-to-load/&do=findComment&comment=631888

I'm sure this was just IPTV and not HDHomeRun...as I stated that I didn't know.

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

kanipek

Referring to and exact quote from Luke.....https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63676-channel-takes-20-seconds-to-load/&do=findComment&comment=631888

I'm sure this was just IPTV and not HDHomeRun...as I stated that I didn't know.

Yeah got it. 

HDHR definitely does, IPTV not so much depends on the stream.

• Like 1

HDHomeRun loads nearly instantly on the Silicon Dust app and it has time shifting. On Emby it takes a few seconds to remux the stream. What is Silicon Dust doing that Emby isn't?

BTW, WMC was nearly as fast as the HDHR app but not quite.

What can Emby do to speed this up in 2018 vs WMC in 2010?

• Like 2

What is Silicon Dust doing that Emby isn't?

Its what they aren't doing.  They aren't providing a complete server-based ecosystem that can play almost literally any combination of media format you throw at it.

They are supporting exactly one type of input of which they can guarantee all characteristics.

Having said that, we are always working to improve our handling of these streams.

Its what they aren't doing. They aren't providing a complete server-based ecosystem that can play almost literally any combination of media format you throw at it.

They are supporting exactly one type of input of which they can guarantee all characteristics.

Having said that, we are always working to improve our handling of these streams.

I am willing to expect and tolerate some load time for mobile clients, especially if off the local network but is there a way to identify clients that are on the local network, mostly gig ethernet but some wireless AC, and prioritize the stream for Live TV? I use Emby to record but sometimes use HDHR to view live at home due to speed and Closed Captioning and would like to use just one program, Emby of course!

Thanks!

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

clarkss12

I can live with the slow loading, but lack of closed captions is what keeps me from transitioning entirely to Emby for live TV.

• Like 1

I am willing to expect and tolerate some load time for mobile clients, especially if off the local network but is there a way to identify clients that are on the local network, mostly gig ethernet but some wireless AC, and prioritize the stream for Live TV? I use Emby to record but sometimes use HDHR to view live at home due to speed and Closed Captioning and would like to use just one program, Emby of course!

Thanks!

They also aren't consolidating your streams so that you can have three people watching the same tuner.

Like I said, there is still room for improvement I'm sure but these are just some of the reasons the behavior isn't the same.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
harrying

Its what they aren't doing.  They aren't providing a complete server-based ecosystem that can play almost literally any combination of media format you throw at it.

I find that the HD Homerun App on XBOX One is much faster never transcodes. But Emby has a grid - Please improve Live TV performance so I can ditch my XBOX 360 and Windows Media Center

• Like 1

bcm00re

My setup seems to take about 8-10 (and sometimes even longer). I have a HDHR Extend tuner and am using its hardware transcoding so Emby only has to remux -- so you'd think it wouldn't take so darn long. I use Rokus (Primere, 3, and the newest Express+) for viewing. My server is running on a dedicated HTPC with a i7-6700 processor, but that doesn't really matter because Emby is only remuxing which takes very little effort.

Edited by bcm00re

bcm00re

What can Emby do to speed this up in 2018 vs WMC in 2010?

It did seems like things got worse (or at least no better) when I moved from my old HTPC running Win7 and WMC server to my new HTPC (with a much, much faster processor) running Win10 and Emby's server. I even bought a HDHR Extend with its built-in hardware transcoding hoping it would make it faster, but I didn't notice any gains.

Emby is still unfortunatly very slow compared to wmc hopefully by the time we have to retire wmc (still is rock solid on win 10 1803) emby will be close to the speed and other wmc features. In wmc if you are tuning to a channel on the same mux it is instant other than that it is less than 2 seconds emby currently is 3 to 4 seconds which is not good enough to voluntarily replace wmc

Our Apple TV app has a new video player in testing that will perform considerably better than the current release version. Thanks.

bcm00re

...emby currently is 3 to 4 seconds which is not good enough to voluntarily replace wmc

I wish mine was that quick! I am seeing twice that using their Roku app.

It is slow on my Roku as well it is because Roku doesn't support mpeg2 so it has to transcoded which slows it down. I would replace Roku in an instant as the interface is so dated but the iptv channels are only available on roku so I am stuck with it.  

Our Apple TV app has a new video player in testing that will perform considerably better than the current release version. Thanks.

Anything for AndroidTV?

Windows even?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

bcm00re

It is slow on my Roku as well it is because Roku doesn't support mpeg2 so it has to transcoded which slows it down. I would replace Roku in an instant as the interface is so dated but the iptv channels are only available on roku so I am stuck with it.

It isn't the transcode slowing mine now (so it might not be the real issue with yours). I have the HDHR Extend tuner that does hardware encoding (to mpeg4) within it, but it is still really slow with Emby and Roku. Tuning and changing channels is much quicker with the HDHR app so I know it is possible.

I don't use ET anymore in favor of ShieldTV's..

It is on the browser webapp that it still seems a bit sluggish but improvement to ShieldTV performance and I'm good to go!

You can't compare the web apps to various native apps as web browsers have limited format support.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...