Need hardware advice

Darth Octane

Darth Octane

So I think it is time for me to rebuild my server. I need to be able to handle approx 5-7 transcodes at a time. My current setup is

I3 530 running on a supermicro MBD-X8SIL-F-O board with 4gb of ram running WHS 2011 and drive pool. It is made up of 4 6tb red drives 2 8tb red drives and 2 2tb green drives. That hosts all my video files.

I72600k with 16gb of ram running on Windows 7 with a SSD for the OS. It has Windows media center (very rarely used) and actually runs my Emby Server.

My desktop handles all my Sickrage and SABNZB and stuff and moves everything over to the storage server when complete. It is also an I7 2600k with 16gb of ram.

So I have a few family members that use my server remotely and I have noticed lately I am getting alot of buffering at home on a hardwired roku when 3-4 of them are on. So I am thinking it may be time for an upgrade on the systems.

So do I go with one PC to run the server storage and Emby or do I just keep the server storage as is and build a new Emby machine? Looking at xeons !7's and Ryzens. Where should I go? Not looking to spend thousands of dollars but need it to be more reliable.

I have all of these in 4u IStar Server cases and a 42U server rack embedded in the wall holding all of it with all my HT equipment in the theater room downstairs so noise levels are important to me. I caould grab a dual xeon system but I need to be able to quiet it down.

Guest asrequested

I've separated my server from my storage. Easier management, that way. As for transcoding, you'd probably be okay with the new Ryzens. The next server release as throttling, so that will make it easier on the CPU. Or you could take a chance on GPU transcoding with an iGPU. Biggest tip, buy the most you can afford. CPU transcoding is the most reliable. I have a Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, but that sounds like more than you want to spend.

Darth Octane

I've separated my server from my storage. Easier management, that way. As for transcoding, you'd probably be okay with the new Ryzens. The next server release as throttling, so that will make it easier on the CPU. Or you could take a chance on GPU transcoding with an iGPU. Biggest tip, buy the most you can afford. CPU transcoding is the most reliable. I have a Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, but that sounds like more than you want to spend.

So keeping my existing storage box should be fine then? Good I didn't really feel like rebuilding the whole setup. I am assuming the network connection and horsepower of the storgae box is not that big of a deal seeing as how the Emby PC is doing all the heavy lifting. I am not opposed to spending some money to make it right. I find cheaper shortcuts end up costing more in the long run. I have seen you reccomending the Ryzen 7 2700x also. It's a tad cheaper or is that too much of a shortcut? 

mastrmind11

I am assuming the network connection and horsepower of the storgae box is not that big of a deal seeing as how the Emby PC is doing all the heavy lifting.

My NAS box is 10 yr old hardware, Celeron w/ 6GB RAM (ZFS so...).  So yeah, you're fine.

Guest asrequested

So keeping my existing storage box should be fine then? Good I didn't really feel like rebuilding the whole setup. I am assuming the network connection and horsepower of the storgae box is not that big of a deal seeing as how the Emby PC is doing all the heavy lifting. I am not opposed to spending some money to make it right. I find cheaper shortcuts end up costing more in the long run. I have seen you reccomending the Ryzen 7 2700x also. It's a tad cheaper or is that too much of a shortcut?

It really depends on where you want to end up. Are you looking at transcoding 4k, in the future? Then you'll need a little more. My CPU can transcode 4k with ease. It isn't viable, right now, as HDR tone mapping hasn't been figured out. But I'm future ready. Second gen Threadrippers are now, here.

Darth Octane

It really depends on where you want to end up. Are you looking at transcoding 4k, in the future? Then you'll need a little more. My CPU can transcode 4k with ease. It isn't viable, right now, as HDR tone mapping hasn't been figured out. But I'm future ready. Second gen Threadrippers are now, here.

I have no plans of 4k. I have way too much invested in 1080 to even think about the cost of upgrading to 4k at this point. If I ever did then I would just put those in their own category for the house and not for streaming. (I do the same thing with 3d movies now)

Guest asrequested

Then you should be fine with the new Ryzen 7 series or Intel stuff. If you go Intel, don't rely solely on the GPU. Get an i7, then you'll have enough CPU to fall back on, if you need it.

Darth Octane

Then you should be fine with the new Ryzen 7 series or Intel stuff. If you go Intel, don't rely solely on the GPU. Get an i7, then you'll have enough CPU to fall back on, if you need it.

I need a GPU also? I just run the onboard graphics as I pretty much use the pc to hand off to Rokus and such. I haven't watched direct from the HTPC in a long time as the roku ultimate is a much easier interface to use.

Darth Octane

also would it be worth tweaking the Server to the Xeon X3480? That motherboard supports both Xeon and I3. WOuld double the cores and threads and up the speed a tad. Pretty cheap too.

clarkss12

I keep hearing about transcoding hardware.  It is obvious that I have no clue about transcoding or what codecs need to be transcoded on certain client hardware.  Wouldn't it be much smarter and wiser to use relatively inexpensive client hardware that natively plays the codecs that need transcoding on other client devices??  Then you could run the server on almost ANY low powered low cost devices???

lots of $$$$ saved in energy usage, and equipment cost....

Guest asrequested

That's only 8 threads. With throttling you might squeak by.

I was mentioning the GPU if you want to try hardware acceleration.

Again, my biggest recommendation is don't be cheap when you don't need to be. If you want to white knuckle it, give the xeon a try. Load it up, and see what happens. You might get lucky with what you use it for.

Darth Octane

That's only 8 threads. With throttling you might squeak by.

I was mentioning the GPU if you want to try hardware acceleration.

Again, my biggest recommendation is don't be cheap when you don't need to be. If you want to white knuckle it, give the xeon a try. Load it up, and see what happens. You might get lucky with what you use it for.

Good advice. I just meant the xeon for the NAS storage running WHS. Not for transcoding. Thinking maybe it could handle sickrage and download duties then. I am looking at the threadrippers for emby. Just have to accept the cost and not getting a new gaming desktop out of it :-)

Darth Octane

I keep hearing about transcoding hardware.  It is obvious that I have no clue about transcoding or what codecs need to be transcoded on certain client hardware.  Wouldn't it be much smarter and wiser to use relatively inexpensive client hardware that natively plays the codecs that need transcoding on other client devices??  Then you could run the server on almost ANY low powered low cost devices???

lots of $$$$ saved in energy usage, and equipment cost....

True and if it was all my gear in the home that would be great. However alot of my media goes out over the internet to family and their various devices so it's either rerip my entire library to a smaller format just for them or just build a machine that can handle it.

Guest asrequested

Good advice. I just meant the xeon for the NAS storage running WHS. Not for transcoding. Thinking maybe it could handle sickrage and download duties then. I am looking at the threadrippers for emby. Just have to accept the cost and not getting a new gaming desktop out of it :-)

Oh for the NAS? Sure, the more the merrier :)

You probably don't need a Threadripper. I just got one because I never want to worry about any transcoding. It'll handle whatever I throw at it.

Guest asrequested

The xeons seem to struggle with 4k, but other than that, 16 threads will work well. The Threadripper has different architecture, and is designed for processing of this nature.

Darth Octane

The xeons seem to struggle with 4k, but other than that, 16 threads will work well. The Threadripper has different architecture, and is designed for processing of this nature.

Hey @ Just saw this today. https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?sdtid=12143326&SID=9cbcb672d3e711e89816e2ff9c0aef190INT&AID=10446076&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Slickdeals%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&ItemList=Combo.3871840&cm_sp=

What do you think?

(If my house didn't just get torn up by a hail storm and need 10k repairs beyond what insurance is covering I would just get a threadripper)

Edited by Darth Octane

Guest asrequested

I imagine that'll give you what you want. 16 threads, and designed to chomp through game rendering. No idea how it'll handle 4k.

Darth Octane

I imagine that'll give you what you want. 16 threads, and designed to chomp through game rendering. No idea how it'll handle 4k.

seems easier to put together than a recyled dual xeon server. Would be worried about the noise of one of those also. Although dual x5690's (12 total cores 24 total threads at 3.46ghz sure is tempting.)