Do I need the nextpvr Plugin?

dcol

Hi all. I am testing out the Emby server and have some questions.

I currently have a NextPVR server running that I use in Android/kodi. All works great except I have multiple IPTV m3u playlists which is not supported by NextPVR. Or at least I never could figure out how to do it.

Now, I notice that I can enter all the playlists and even SD as the EPG, so do I even need NextPVR anymore? That is what I was using NPVR for and it seems like Emby already does that. So what is the need for the NPVR plugin?

arrbee99

Probably doesn't answer your question, but think the main plus of the plugin is if you wanted to watch / record TV using a source, such as satellite, that has several channels using the same transponder. Channels using the same mux I think its called.

• Like 1

arrbee99

If this all works out in Emby them great, but just thought I'd mention, came across a NPVR YouTube video where in the comments the developer said you (well maybe not you specifically :) ) can add several IPTV sources to NPVR, no problem (theoretically).

Saying you can and knowing how it's done is way different. Never found any info anywhere on how to do it. Even asked on the NPVR forum (crickets)

Edited by dcol

arrbee99

Fair enough. I get the impression you import a m3u source and a guide source into NPVR. If you want to add another source you just import again. Am sure you tried this and it didn't work and I've never tried anything that needed passwords and paid sources and stuff. Like I say, its just something I came across and apologies if I'm confusing the issue.

Not sure if I tried that, but I think if you import another one it supersedes the last one. But thanks for the info. Maybe I will try it tomorrow. Hope I don't lose my custom listings.

Still want Emby to work since it combines a lot of other features I use in one app

arrbee99

That's the only thing that puts me off a bit - everything's working fine and you decide to tinker a bit and its never the same again. Fr'instance, I think, as mentioned, you can just add a source to whats already there, but not sure how you'd delete it after if you want to. NPVR has a delete option I see, but is that to delete a whole source, or just one channel, and how much do I want to find out.

I only have a few IPTV channels, not hundreds, and could probably move them to Emby anyway, I just like NPVR as its the only (easy) way I've found to get artwork for individual programs.

Hmmm, maybe if you'll just sign the (unattached) disclaimer...

Good point, there is no way to remove an import if you could do multiples so I will leave it alone. But the plan is to move away from NextPVR and to Emby or Plex.

If I can figure out how to add IPTV m3u's to Plex I'd be set. And the only reason I would go that way is because I already own a lifetime Plexpass.

arrbee99

I like NVPR, and I like like Emby, but nothings perfect, so its just a possible plan B if you're desperate or don't happen to have anything better to do for 3 minutes / 3 hours / 3 weeks - delete as appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

All works great except I have multiple IPTV m3u playlists which is not supported by NextPVR. Or at least I never could figure out how to do it.

Multiple IPTV m3u playlists are supported in NextPVR and easy to use. Just hit the 'import' button to add another playlist. The existing channels will still be there, unaffected. 

arrbee99

Multiple IPTV m3u playlists are supported in NextPVR and easy to use. Just hit the 'import' button to add another playlist. The existing channels will still be there, unaffected. 

Hi, Sorry to trouble, but if your're still around you wouldn't happen to have any thoughts on this maybe ?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64788-recording-couple-of-questions/

From my experience, the NextPVR plugin in Emby is a front end only for recordings. What is the point really when you can get the guide and recording plus the library all in one place such as Emby. But where it may be useful is for backup recordings.

When Emby releases their expanded channel mapping, which I hope is soon, then NextPVR will not be needed at all.

• Like 1

arrbee99

For me, I find the plugin the best way to get the Guide and images OTA  in New Zealand, and I think its the only way to record several channels at once from the same satellite transponder.

I use Tablo for OTA here in the US. Then Tablo Ripper to place the shows directly into the Emby Library. I have a 4 tuner Tablo, so I can record 4 shows simultaneously never really recording more than 2 at the same time. Also use Emby for the live TV guide with two IPTV providers and epg123 for the XML. Everything works great except I have some issues with the way Emby names their live TV recorded shows which is not always library friendly. I have to edit one or two shows a day so they appear correctly in the library.

Edited by dcol

arrbee99

I use Tablo for OTA here in the US. Then Tablo Ripper to place the shows directly into the Emby Library. I have a 4 tuner Tablo, so I can record 4 shows simultaneously never really recording more than 2 at the same time. Also use Emby for the live TV guide with two IPTV providers and epg123 for the XML. Everything works great except I have some issues with the way Emby names their live TV recorded shows which is not always library friendly. I have to edit one or two shows a day so they appear correctly in the library.

Well in NZ we only have DVB-S and DVB-T so ideally I'd use a Homerun which apparently works with DVB-T, except of course I get no DVB-T signal at my house, so I'm stuck with standard def DVB-S.

That's probably a bit irrelevant actually, I just find NPVR works fine and gets artwork, though it can be wrong, especially with obscure NZ stuff. It just seems to have the best combination of stuff.

I just wish IPTV sent from NPVR to Emby worked properly.

Consider MCEbuddy to take recorded items and then convert, rename and send to Emby. That's what I use for my IPTV streams

arrbee99

Its not that, its that I can watch m3u stuff (I presume thats the same, basically as iptv) fine directly in the NextPVR app and I can watch it fine directly in Emby, but if I try to watch in Emby via the plugin and Nextpvr, it always freezes/stops after about a minute. I'd like to do it this way cause then NextPVR will provide posters for the m3u stuff whereas Emby won't (easily anyway, and I need easy).

I am finding a lot of new uses for the NextPVR plugin, now that I have it configured properly. Not sure if it got an update but the NPVR guide is also part of Emby's guide now, which is nice. Also the images are imported into Emby. looks like a complete integration now. I like the way NPVR names the recordings better than Emby, so I am doing most of my recording in NPVR.

Edited by dcol
  • Like 1