Emby for Kodi frequent DB updates

ChapeL
Go to solution Solved by ChapeL,

Hi,

I've seen few topics with similar problems but none of the solutions worked for me. Every time I start Kodi (on both my Windows and Shield TV) it triggers full update waking up 14 HDDs in my Unraid array. It tries to update every single title, even films that been sitting there untouched for ages. Started happening around 6 months ago, maybe more not to sure, It drives me crazy to the point that I consider removing Emby Kodi plugin. Any idea what triggers this?  I've attached my logs, first one (embyserver PC.txt) is when I ran Kodi on my PC, it crashed first time when the plugin tired to do the update around 13:43. Second log (embyserver SHIELD.txt and kodi.log) is when I ran Kodi on my Shield, the "fun" starts around 15:51 mark. 

Hope some can help,

Thanks

ChapeL

kodi.log

embyserver PC.txt

embyserver SHIELD.txt

post-109942-0-11156000-1539618465_thumb.jpg

Angelblue05

@@ChapeL

The addon doesn't trigger events, your server does. Do you use nfos, third-party app that may interact with the metadata of your content?

The PC one shows that the last time it synced was last month so it did have a lot of updates. This is already adjusted in the beta version to be more forgiving and give you an "out" when there's so many updates. For the Shield, it shows a lot of updates in 24 hours essentially. Just have to find what's causing your server to think these items needs to be updated and that will resolve your issue.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Hi and thank you,

I do have nfo files in each movie folder, nothing to interact with them apart from Emby Server. I've recreated all nfo files some time ago but that didn't help at all, are nfo files necessary if I use only use Emby plugin in Kodi?

The PC refresh makes sense as I only use it sporadically and could be that last time it was run was around month ago. Shield is my biggest problem, I don't think update is done every time I start Kodi but I'm sure it's more than once a day. Need to double check tomorrow, saying that it used to just add new items to the library not scan the whole thing. Any idea what makes my server trigger those updates? 

Thank you again,
ChapeL

Angelblue05

Can you post a screenshot of your nfo settings, server dashboard > library > nfo settings? Is the date modified on the nfos recent? Do you have schedules tasks? Try disabling the library ones and seeing if that helps after testing for a few days. If it does, re-enable one by one until you find the culprit.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Looking at my nfo files at random, including films that I haven't watched or accessed in any way since 2016, most were modified today but not all. For example:

Film I added in 2016 has nfo file that says (please see the attachment): Created ‎03 ‎February ‎2016, ‏‎13:14:43, Modified 16 ‎October ‎2018, ‏‎09:14:40, Accessed ‎03 ‎February ‎2016, ‏‎13:14:43 

I was at work when it was modified and haven't run Kodi today at all but it might be due to a scheduled library scan as I have it set to run every 12h. 

Another one: Created ‎03 ‎February ‎2016, ‏‎13:14:50, Modified 17 ‎August ‎2018, ‏‎08:12:08, Accessed ‎03 ‎February ‎2016, ‏‎13:14:50

I do have scheduled tasks and most of them were there since I've started using Emby, only change was turning off subtitle one as I don't need it. I'll do as you suggest, turn them off one by one and see what happens.

Thanks again,

ChapeL

City Island (2009).nfo

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (2013).nfo

post-109942-0-07750400-1539705443_thumb.png

post-109942-0-52617500-1539706415_thumb.png

Edited by ChapeL
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Well it's not refresh people if it ran 2 days ago, right? Chapter image extraction or scan media library maybe? Something is changing the modified date on your nfos, even if nothing in the nfo itself changed and that's causing the server to trigger updates for your content.

• Like 1

Well it's not refresh people if it ran 2 days ago, right? Chapter image extraction or scan media library maybe? Something is changing the modified date on your nfos, even if nothing in the nfo itself changed and that's causing the server to trigger updates for your content.

I'll turn all off them off, and monitor the situation. To be honest I don't really need chapter image extraction or people refresh. Will report in couple of days. 

Thanks,

ChapeL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I'll turn all off them off, and monitor the situation. To be honest I don't really need chapter image extraction or people refresh. Will report in couple of days. 

Thanks,

ChapeL

Well it looks like it was Scan media library that was playing up. I can live without it, just installed Radarr on my server and add films through there, it sends the info to emby when something new is added.

Thanks you so much for your help,

ChapeL

• Like 1