GIT version behaves differently from 0.8.5

tube82
Go to solution Solved by xnappo,

xnappo

Did you originally get those by adding nodes as favorites?

In Aeon Nox/MQ5 those are added manually.  In the Confluence mod they are created from favorites.  

xnappo

[EDIT] Okay - I see the problem .  Indeed a part of the code I didn't know about :) Fixing..

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

tube82

No they are not from favorites. Xbmb3c.3.* used to refer to the fourth node of xbmbc3. As you can see in the screenshots I posted earlier (the ones with the missing folder icons), in my case this is the "Animation" section.

In the 0.8.5 home screen you can see that the first button indeed shows "Animation".

Edited by tube82
  • Like 1

tube82

Works like a charm, home screen is perfect now!

Now I only see one tiny remaining bug. The icons mentioned in the [edit] part of post #24 still don't show for the media folders from mb3. They now show for all movies, all tv, recently added etc though.

Edited by tube82
  • Like 1

xnappo

Okay - that is actually a new feature :)

If you go into your server, then click on a collection, then edit, then images, you can now select artwork for the collection and it will show up like it would for any other item.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

tube82

You are right, it works. That leaves me "bugless" for now, well done! ;)

Two more questions:

1) Yesterday I changed a season cover on the server but XBMB3C still shows the old one. How often (if at all) do the images refresh?

2) It is not possible to display an episode thumb AND either season or series art (of an episode listitem), is that correct?

Edited by tube82

xnappo

I just checked in a change that should put the folder icon back if you don't set art.  Please test it though as it related to all the junk we just fixed.

1. As to the image changes.. That is actually the whole reason for all this mess - code to check image tags.  @ - this should be automatic right?  Or does he need to delete his textures file?

2. We could do that - but the skins would need to change to read a new image setting.

Right now we set:

artTypes=['poster', 'tvshow.poster', 'fanart_image', 'clearlogo', 'discart', 'banner', 'clearart', 'landscape']

so we would need to make a new one like 'parent_poster' or something.

It really bugs me that the skins change the aspect ratio.  IMHO they should always resize to a width or height, but never break the aspect ratio.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

tube82

Your latest addition works as expected. If no artwork is set for a media folder the default folder icon is shown instead. The media folders with an artwork show the artwork.

2. I would really like the possibility to display the season cover alongside the thumb. There are a quite few views that are designed for both to show. Right now that leads to the thumb being displayed twice. Once at the correct posiiton and once stretched in place of the series or season cover. Of course it would only be a feature for modded skins, but as long as it doesn't break the current behavior for unmodded skins I see no harm in it.

I agree on the aspect ratio issue.

xnappo

Your latest addition works as expected. If no artwork is set for a media folder the default folder icon is shown instead. The media folders with an artwork show the artwork.

2. I would really like the possibility to display the season cover alongside the thumb. There are a quite few views that are designed for both to show. Right now that leads to the thumb being displayed twice. Once at the correct posiiton and once stretched in place of the series or season cover. Of course it would only be a feature for modded skins, but as long as it doesn't break the current behavior for unmodded skins I see no harm in it.

I agree on the aspect ratio issue.

I can definitely do this - can you look to see what the views are looking for for the right window settings to achieve it?  Maybe the intention of tvshow.poster is to show the season art?  Or vice-versa?

xnappo

tube82

The view I am using on the episode-level is trying to display either season or series cover (not sure) via $INFO[ListItem.Art(tvshow.poster)] and the thumb via $INFO[ListItem.Thumb]

I'm not sure if the view usually displays season or series cover in an episode list.

In a series or season list it displays series/season cover via $INFO[ListItem.Art(poster)]

...if this is what you meant.

Edited by tube82

xnappo

The view I am using on the episode-level is trying to display either season or series cover (not sure) via $INFO[ListItem.Art(tvshow.poster)] and the thumb via $INFO[ListItem.Thumb]

I'm not sure if the view usually displays season or series cover in an episode list.

In a series or season list it displays series/season cover via $INFO[ListItem.Art(poster)]

...if this is what you meant.

I think so.. So I should try setting tvshow.poster to the Series/Season art and poster to the show art?

xnappo

tube82

I think poster should be the current poster of the listitem. If the listitem is a season, it's the season cover, if it's a TV show, it's the TV show cover and if it is an episode... well, no idea what it should be then... maybe the season cover because if the thumb is supposed to be displayed $INFO[ListItem.Thumb] will be used anyway.

Tvshow.poster looks like it should always be the TV show cover. Tvshow.poster in a list of episodes or seasons should still display the tv show cover.

But I am not sure if this makes any sense...haha

[edit]

Not mapping thumb to $INFO[ListItem.Poster] for episodes might be a good idea because of the incorrect aspect ratio of thumbs in any poster slot

[edit2]

I think it makes sense:

movies: poster is all that is needed (except for the additional images like fanart, clearart etc of course)

tv shows: poster ist all that is needed (tvshow.poster is just the same image)

seasons: poster shows the season cover, tvshow.poster shows the TV show cover

episodes: poster shows the season cover, tvshow.poster shows the TV show cover and thumb shows the thumbnail

Each view always has access to all the relevant images. I am not sure how good this suits the average unmodded XBMC skin, though I don't think it's worse than what we have now.

Edited by tube82

elcabong

I think it makes sense:

movies: poster is all that is needed (except for the additional images like fanart, clearart etc of course)

tv shows: poster ist all that is needed (tvshow.poster is just the same image)

seasons: poster shows the season cover, tvshow.poster shows the TV show cover

episodes: poster shows the season cover, tvshow.poster shows the TV show cover and thumb shows the thumbnail

i think that makes the most sense, and from a skin perspective give the most consistent results.

updated to new git, confirming music widget working, no other apparent issues.

xnappo

I think I implemented this as discussed.  Please give it a go.

Please let me know what Arctic views to use to test too.

xnappo

• Like 1

tube82

Ok, first feedback:

- tvshow.poster seems to work correctly. In every level (tv show, season, episode) the TV Show poster is displayed.

- poster doesn't work as expected. In every level the TV Show poster is displayed. I expected the season poster to show up in season and episode level.

- thumb works fine. In series level it shows the TV show cover, in season level it shows the season cover and in episode level it shows the thumb.

The only thing that doesn't work as expected is that poster works exactly like tvshow.poster right now.

Funny enough: I can get the view to work exactly like I want by using thumb instead of poster for series and season.

For a first try at the changes you got pretty close already! The best so far: It is very easy to avoid those streched thumbs in poster spots!

For testing I used the PanelList view. To check the used images (or change them) go to lines 1275 and 1276 in Includes_Views.xml.

@

The "refresh" option indeed does the trick!

Edited by tube82
  • Like 1

xnappo

Okay, checked in a change making thumb and poster the same (again).  Didn't put any thought into it - WAF of XBMB3C hacking is low.  GOT time.

xnappo

• Like 1

tube82

The change works as expected. Thumb and poster do the same again.

This is pretty close to yesterdays suggestions.

Only one more thing is missing: Poster and thumb should be the same on TV show and season level (as they are now), but differ on episode level.

Poster should display the season cover instead of the episode thumbnail, because this leads to the streched thumbs in poster spots on the episode level. Because tvshow.poster now always displays the tv show cover it is possible to circumvent the problem in a modded skin quite easily by using tvshow.cover on episode level, but I think in a lot of unmodded skins which use "poster" we will still see those stretched thumbs on the episode level.

Edited by tube82

xnappo

Okay - I thought that might be the thing to do but wasn't quite sure.  I will do this when I get home.

xnappo

• Like 1

xnappo

So - one last time.  We want it like this:

Poster          TV.Poster       Thumb
Show            Primary         Primary         Primary
Season          Primary         ParentPrimary   Primary
Episode         ParentPrimary   ParentPrimary   Primary

Right?  Primary is a poster in all cases except for Episodes, where it is a screenshot.

xnappo

tube82

Yeah, the table looks good.

However, in the lastest commit when i just use poster on all three levels, I get TV show poster (ok), season poster (ok), TV show poster (should be season)

[edit]

tvshow.poster shows season poster on season level. Should always be TV show poster.

thumb still works correctly.

Man, am I glad that I just test and don't have to deal with all this... thanks a lot for all the hard work!

Edited by tube82
  • Like 1

tube82

Here we go:

tvshow.poster now works correctly on season level, but shows season cover on episode level

poster now is correct!

thumb is still correct.

• Like 1