Green screen on live TV

bmoses

My parents have a Roku stick. When they watch live TV SD channels the screen is split in 2 with the show on the top half and the bottom half being all green. See attached picture. If I change the quality down to 2 Mbps to force it to transcode it will play fine. Nexus player and other devices play the channels fine too.

post-2456-0-79626900-1539555635_thumb.jpg

Can you try with the Beta version of the app?

It looks like your device supports mpeg2video. Can you try again with the app above, and get a ffmpeg log. It should be a directstream-* or remux-* log, not a transcode-* log. Thanks. :)

Edit: @@Luke this is likely a roku firmware problem, or some strange mpeg2 stream riddled with errors/corruption. The fallback can't detect this. We may need an icon on the OSD to force transcoding. In the same vein as the captions, audio streams, etc. Make it look like a toolbox or a wrench or something. To indicate to click that if you have video problems and then it forces a full video transcode. This would alleviate the issue in the most cleanest sense. Within the video player OSD.

Edited by speechles

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60962-video-issues-when-trying-to-view-an-episode

It is the same issue as the thread above. The stream has a funky SAR and the roku is using that to determine how to render the video. The display aspect ratio (DAR) is 4:3 at 720x480. But the SAR says it is 8:9, the sample aspect ratio. Usually this is 1:1, or if 16:9 content is shown in 4:3 it is 16:9, it usually isn't 8:9. Since it is 8:9, and 8 is half of 16. You see half the image, and green(the video representation of nothing) on the bottom half.

I am sure this is a Roku bug, as it should be smart enough to work around a poor SAR and figure out the correct display aspect ratio without it. The Roku appears to depends on it for some reason. I will ask on Roku forums what is happening. This is sort of out-of-our-control without forcing a full transcode on the item. That would incur a penalty to you of eating your CPU % in use. If this is what we must do it can be done, but I want Roku to address this too, and give a reason their player works unlike many others on other platforms.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=122935&p=606812

Above is the URL to trace this issue back on Roku forums. I have let them know it is an issue.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60962-video-issues-when-trying-to-view-an-episode

It is the same issue as the thread above. The stream has a funky SAR and the roku is using that to determine how to render the video. The display aspect ratio (DAR) is 4:3 at 720x480. But the SAR says it is 8:9, the sample aspect ratio. Usually this is 1:1, or if 16:9 content is shown in 4:3 it is 16:9, it usually isn't 8:9. Since it is 8:9, and 8 is half of 16. You see half the image, and green(the video representation of nothing) on the bottom half.

I am sure this is a Roku bug, as it should be smart enough to work around a poor SAR and figure out the correct display aspect ratio without it. The Roku appears to depends on it for some reason. I will ask on Roku forums what is happening. This is sort of out-of-our-control without forcing a full transcode on the item. That would incur a penalty to you of eating your CPU % in use. If this is what we must do it can be done, but I want Roku to address this too, and give a reason their player works unlike many others on other platforms.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=122935&p=606812

Above is the URL to trace this issue back on Roku forums. I have let them know it is an issue.

awesome, thanks for taking a look and reporting it! transcoding doesn't matter to me, my system is built to handle it, i just want it to play right in the end :)

SmplyUnprdctble

I can add feedback on this.

The green bar doesn't happen on my Roku TV, but it does happen on my Roku Streaming Stick.

I guess I won't watch some of these channels until Roku gets themselves on the ball, since it used to work (I doubt the networks decided to randomly choose how they send out the signal, but bad on them for sending out something slightly off).

The RokuTV get firmware updates last. They must be stable. The streaming stick and some others get updates.. if.. you manually update. When you manually update, you will possibly get firmware that has barely been beta tested. If you wait until the Roku automatically updates itself you will not suffer these issues. 

This is probably related to a firmware update on the Roku stick. Roku is aware of issues like these. The reason it didn't green screen before is the app was fully transcoding your video. Now the app knows it can stream copy it, and is doing so. But somewhere the Roku is messing up the delivery. Believe me, it isn't us. We don't want to transcode what should play directly. If Roku does nothing to address this we will figure something out to work around it. If that something is even an OSD button that looks like a wrench and all it does is force a full video transcode. @@Luke @@ebr what do you think?

If that something is even an OSD button that looks like a wrench and all it does is force a full video transcode. @@Luke @@ebr what do you think?

Eventually, we should mimic the manual playback correction that is available in the Android TV app.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Roku hasn't replied to the post yet. Any chance of getting a force transcode button added during playback? I have my parents set to transcode everything down to 2mbps right now so they don't have to keep switching back and forth when they want to watch one of these channels.

I see Roku hasn't replied to the post yet. Any chance of getting a force transcode button added during playback? I have my parents set to transcode everything down to 2mbps right now so they don't have to keep switching back and forth when they want to watch one of these channels.

@@bmoses I have something that fixes this completed. I am waiting feedback from the higher ups on how to proceed. In my example, it is simply a button you click on the OSD in the same button row as the subtitles and audio selection buttons. It is the very last button and once clicked the video player closes then restarts and fully transcodes the video. The button you clicked before is now dimmed and is no longer usable. I want you to be happy so I am letting you know how close this is to reaching beta. It is literally 1 or 2 steps away.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@bmoses I have something that fixes this completed. I am waiting feedback from the higher ups on how to proceed. In my example, it is simply a button you click on the OSD in the same button row as the subtitles and audio selection buttons. It is the very last button and once clicked the video player closes then restarts and fully transcodes the video. The button you clicked before is now dimmed and is no longer usable. I want you to be happy so I am letting you know how close this is to reaching beta. It is literally 1 or 2 steps away.

that sounds awesome! thanks so much for working on this! I have the beta channel on their roku sticks and my roku ultra so let me know when its out and we will test it out and let you know how it goes!!!

Rather than just a button. What if it were like android TV? Where it has a little graphic equalizer icon you click. Once you click that, it pops up a menu letting you select either Quality or Playback Correction. Exactly the same as the Android TV app. What if it were exactly like this and just worked exactly the same? I ask because this is what you will be getting very soon.

The Roku doesn't allow zoom. We can't do that yet. This will be in Android TV and missing from the Roku. Apologies. We would if we could, Roku doesn't give us a way to accomplish it.

The Stats for Nerds has all its ground work done. It just lacks a way to present to the user. Which info, how to present, which font should be used, etc..all that intricately detailed stuff.

Stay tuned. Good things coming. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Rather than just a button. What if it were like android TV? Where it has a little graphic equalizer icon you click. Once you click that, it pops up a menu letting you select either Quality or Playback Correction. Exactly the same as the Android TV app. What if it were exactly like this and just worked exactly the same? I ask because this is what you will be getting very soon.

The Roku doesn't allow zoom. We can't do that yet. This will be in Android TV and missing from the Roku. Apologies. We would if we could, Roku doesn't give us a way to accomplish it.

The Stats for Nerds has all its ground work done. It just lacks a way to present to the user. Which info, how to present, which font should be used, etc..all that intricately detailed stuff.

Stay tuned. Good things coming. :)

this sounds great to me! i'm easy ;) thanks for all you do!

this sounds great to me! i'm easy ;) thanks for all you do!

Update is live for the Emby Beta app. Please let us know if this satisfies you or not. Look at the bottom of the Video Player OSD for a new button. Try to use it and let us know what you think. Thanks.  :)

NOTE: You must enable the "Extended Playback Info" setting to expose this new button on the OSD. This prevents children from being able to hammer buttons they should not be using.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Update is live for the Emby Beta app. Please let us know if this satisfies you or not. Look at the bottom of the Video Player OSD for a new button. Try to use it and let us know what you think. Thanks.  :)

NOTE: You must enable the "Extended Playback Info" setting to expose this new button on the OSD. This prevents children from being able to hammer buttons they should not be using.

will do! my parents are out of town so it might be a few days before i get back to you to let you know how its going for them, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

@speechles

Apologies for the late reply to this! I was at my parents this weekend and was testing out the new setting, which works perfect btw, and while i was there i saw there was a system update for their Roku's. After applying the update the green screen issue went away! So it looks like roku fixed it and they no longer get the green screen even in the non-beta version of the app. thanks for your help on this!

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=122935

This was my nag for them about the issue. Sharing is caring so let them know their platform was defective. The playback correction forces transcoding which isn't an optimal or even desired fix. The real fix is Roku correcting their firmware. Would have been nice of them to acknowledge my post, but I know they saw and that spurred someone at Roku to fix it. The squeaky wheel gets the fix.