Emby for Android Shield TV not playing back HDR on all titles

gleep52

FrostByte

"will attempt to address in next release"

LOL, I guess another 6 months then

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers

CBers, you're wrong! Nvidia did actually mention it was fixed in the public release.

Wrong about what ?

Nvidia said they had fixed it, but they haven't.

strupie

Yeah ok, so Nvidia has screwed up their release... that's being obvious from all the comments.

But like FrostByte said, they will attempt a fix in the next release... are you F*K*G kidding me... I'll be not waiting for 6 months AGAIN and hope they finally fixed it. I was going to upgrade to an Emby lifetime account if this was fixed, but now I don't see any other possibility to swith over to Plex.

moviefan

I'll be not waiting for 6 months AGAIN and hope they finally fixed it.

I imagine that the beta hotfix for this release is going to be available fairly soon.  People in the nvidia forums are fairly upset with all sorts of issues.  Just hoping the patch includes the Emby fix as it is clearly not a priority for them.

• Like 1

moviefan

Would appear that my sentiment is spot on.  There is ALREADY a hotfix out for one of the controllers issues.  I posted there asking if they could roll the Emby fix into it and not only was my post ignored, it was deleted by a moderator.  So we are completely back in the dark waiting for this as they STILL list is as fixed on the release notes of the current 8.0 version even know acknowledging all users have reported it is broken.

The sniper guy can be pretty responsive over there.  He can also be a major douchebag.

strupie

Yeah, I don't understand either. If they were able to fix it in the beta program, what's holding them back to reintroduce the code in a hotfix. That shouldn't be hard now is it.

Jdiesel

Question is was it actually fixed in the beta program or are we just going off of a report of a Nvidia dev who tested against exo player? It may not have actually been fixed or it may be an Emby issue still. The Emby devs really should be participating in the shield beta program as it is the flagship ATV device that most users are using. Plex seems to have a very close partnership with Nvidia and a close working relationship, why isn't this the case for Emby? The fact that it was working and still is working in Plex only shows that it is possible and that passing it off to the other party, whether that be Emby or Nvidia, will not result in a fix for this issue.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 2

Guest asrequested

I agree. It's time Emby took control of its own issue, and work to find a solution. Clearly, Nvidia are an absolute mess. Make your product work, guys.

This issue was never fixed in any available version of Shield firmware - beta or otherwise.  Specifically, sniper said it wasn't a problem on "the internal build he was running".  The beta/special release build they were providing by request did not contain the fix ever either.

So, it may just be that this fix has never made it past whatever development build that sniper was testing against.

We communicated with both Google and nVidia and were told it would be fixed in the next release.  Not sure what else you wanted us to do...

I agree. It's time Emby took control of its own issue,

It has been proven that it isn't our issue.  The problem was reproduced by Google with stock Exoplayer.

vdatanet

Developing a player is a task that consumes many resources, visit the Apple TV forum and you will know what I am talking about. In my opinion Nvidia must solve the problems. Previously I requested that an own player for Android TV to be developed, but now I realize that I was wrong.

Guest asrequested

It has been proven that it isn't our issue. The problem was reproduced by Google with stock Exoplayer.

But apparently it can be resolved by other means. As we see with those plucky Plex people. At some point you should stop depending on Nvidia. They aren't coming to the rescue.

Guest asrequested

If you'd like, you can borrow my obsessiveness. It can be hellish, but eventually you'll find a satisfactory resolution, because you'll you want to sleep again :)

• Like 1

FrostByte

The Xbox doesn't trigger HDR either and that's been going on for years now.  At some point you have to move on.  I don't know if we're at that point yet, but if in 2 years Nvidia is still ignoring the problem you might want to consider going that route.  

• Like 2

vdatanet

mpv is the answer to all that ails you. If you build it, they will come :)

This is the approach taken on Apple TV but they have stayed halfway  :(

Edited by vdatanet

Guest asrequested

This is the approach taken on Apple TV but they have stayed halfway.

There are many ways to build mpv, so it takes time to figure all that out. I keep meaning to revise my build process, but other things keep taking up my time. I need to set aside enough time to get on IRC and talk to the community. At some point I want to building my own.

mpv is the answer to all that ails you. If you build it, they will come :)

Not on this platform.

It doesn't matter how you build it if the features you need are not in the port to a particular platform.

Guest asrequested

Not on this platform.

It doesn't matter how you build it if the features you need are not in the port to a particular platform.

Yeah, I know it's very limited on Android. Hopefully that will mature.

strupie
Quick update on:

Cropped content in Emby not playing in HDR.

The original report came into us through an Exoplayer bug. We've fixed the Exoplayer bug and confirmed that fix is good in 8.0, but for some reason things are still not working in Emby. Still working to understand why.

At least they are looking at it... but I have a feeling they're putting the ball back in Emby's court. Any admins wanting to give Sniper a heads up on what's still not working, maybe providing logs and debug info from the latest builds.

Edited by strupie

solidus28

Reply from Sniper about 14 minutes ago on the Shield TV forum:

Quick update on:

The original report came into us through an Exoplayer bug. We've fixed the Exoplayer bug and confirmed that fix is good in 8.0, but for some reason things are still not working in Emby. Still working to understand why.

• Like 3

moviefan

Reply from Sniper about 14 minutes ago on the Shield TV forum:

Quick update on:

Can one of the devs from Emby work with sniper on this?

• Like 2

Good news - I have this working in our app now as well.

Beta will be forthcoming.

• Like 6