Subtitles - Show Subtitle Format / Hide incompatible

shrouski

shrouski

Hi

I have some movies with both PGS muxed in, plus SRT that are downloaded separately. It is taking the Muxed PGS first even though they are incompatible with my LG TV.

Is there any way that I can either hide the PGS files, or get brackets after with the format so I can choose the one that won't require burned in subs? HEVC 10bit still doesn't transcode properly so it appears washed out if you choose PGS, but you don't really know which one you're choosing at the time.

E.g.

Eng Default Forced (PGS)

Eng (PGS)

Chi (PGS)

Spa (PGS)

Eng Default Forced (SRT)

Eng (SRT)

Thanks

• Like 4

I like this idea,

I would also add the ability to set subtitles on or off as a default user setting.

I don’t like watching with subtitles and turn them off manually half of the time, my sister on the other hand is deaf and will only watch with subtitles and has to turn them on...

my sister on the other hand is deaf and will only watch with subtitles and has to turn them on... 

If she's often having to turn them on then try adjusting user profile subtitle preferences.

• Like 1

If she's often having to turn them on then try adjusting user profile subtitle preferences.

Where is that? If I go to my server dashboard and click on users, then edit her user account there is nothing to do with subtitles.

I think it would be great if the subtitles had more info as the dropdown! Right now you can have multiple subs of the same language without knowing which ones are PGS or SRT and there's no way to see if they're default, forced, commentary, ...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
samuelqwe

I think it would be great if the subtitles had more info as the dropdown! Right now you can have multiple subs of the same language without knowing which ones are PGS or SRT and there's no way to see if they're default, forced, commentary, ...

This absolutely needs to be addressed, as I often have no idea what sub to choose due to having multiple entries with the same language. Some are SRT, some PGS, but I have no clue which one am I choosing before I hit play. At least subtitle format should be shown (especially for Emby admins), but I'd also like to see additional details such as if the subtitles are external or muxed in the video file.

shrouski

This absolutely needs to be addressed, as I often have no idea what sub to choose due to having multiple entries with the same language. Some are SRT, some PGS, but I have no clue which one am I choosing before I hit play. At least subtitle format should be shown (especially for Emby admins), but I'd also like to see additional details such as if the subtitles are external or muxed in the video file.

The more I think about it, the more I think the format doesn't make sense, but at least some sort of indicator what is compatible with the player you have and even taking external SRT above embedded PGS if the SRT is compatible and the PGS isn't in the drop down list.

Ultimately everybody using it isn't technical, so a clear Compatible flag would be more user friendly.

samuelqwe

The more I think about it, the more I think the format doesn't make sense, but at least some sort of indicator what is compatible with the player you have and even taking external SRT above embedded PGS if the SRT is compatible and the PGS isn't in the drop down list.

Ultimately everybody using it isn't technical, so a clear Compatible flag would be more user friendly.

While I agree not everyone will understand what the various formats do, I think the admin should have this information while selecting, so he can test the various formats. There still needs to be a better way to discern subtitles that have the same name, because many just show the language at the moment.

miniliQuid

Do agree with the last bit, discerning which English subtitle to pick is hard at the moment (thought there was a topic about this already though?)

I often by accident pick the English one for deaf / bad hearing people while I meant to pick English for what is being said.

Edited by miniliQuid