Trending on My Server

LongMan

LongMan

@. Thanks for this very beautiful and functional plugin. The data it provides have been quite helpful. Even something like the best day to work on the server or to do large file movements have been easier because, using historical data I am able to predict when the disruption would have the least impact.

The Breakdown report in the plugin reminded me that I have more in common with my family members and friends who share the server with me than the thousands of people rating movies and series online. Put another way, my kids are more likely to want to watch a movie or series that their cousins or friends are watching than a random one rated 9.0 on IMDB. The same thing applies for me and my  wife.

If possible, could you add a watched list that encompasses all the users on the server, similar to the data presented in the breakdown report. That way when looking for something to watch, we could check what other like minded people are watching. The list could just based on media type alone, movies, series, music videos, or media type and tagged with its Emby library name

The request is probably best suited for Kodi Companion, of which you are also the developer. The name change suggest that it can be more than just a 'Fast Sync Queue'.

What are your thoughts?

LongMan

LongMan

A server wide trending API endpoint would be best. Not sure that is on the cards, though.

I was thinking more Kodi Companion as the place. I only wrote the request here because of the breakdown report.

Cheers.

LongMan

How useful is this "trending" end point going to be for a normal family with four or 5 users...?

Jdiesel

How useful is this "trending" end point going to be for a normal family with four or 5 users...?

5 users in the same house, not very. 5 users in different locations, very.

As our media collections grow it can be very daunting to start a new series or decide on a movie with so many options to choose from. Chances are your family/friends have similar tastes in media so suggesting "trending" media would be a good way to help someone decide on what to watch next.

For example, I've noticed a lot of my users watching the series "The Sinner", I've never watched it personally but I can tell that it is popular with my family so I've put it on my list of shows to check out.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

People who manage media servers really appreciate plugins/tools like this that allow us to collect data on how our server is actually being used and for what. It would be great to be able to feed this information back to the users to improve their experience as well. 

Things like screen time (which Apple and Google are now doing with there mobile OSs)

Curated playlists and recommendations (Spotify is a leader in this)

Trending media (Netflix does this well)

Sharing Recommendation (Again Spotify)

From a technical standpoint Emby is very mature at this stage and generally works quite well but it is lacking in the user experience side of things. Giving users a some insight into their media consumption would be a standout feature. Just another shoutout to full Trakt support in Emby.

• Like 1

LongMan

@@ebr. You should bear in mind that family members are not necessarily watching together. The devices and time of consumption varies and so seeing what is trending may be useful.

Case in point, One of my children is home by 3:30pm and can finish assigned homework in time to watch some tv. The second gets home later and has to work into the night to complete assignments. On Saturdays , the first is in school, while the second in at home and able to watch tv. At that point what has been watched comes in handy. They usually watch the same things and read the same books. 'What my friend is watching' is more important to a teenager than what is critically acclaimed.

In the case of adults, the little time available to watch does not allow for much exploration.

• 1 year later...

Not yet, sorry. We're actively monitoring it for community feedback. Thanks.