Any Android/apple box that does HDR -> SDR

Ponyo

Hi

As the title says, is there any hardware out there that can do proper HDR to SDR tone mapping? I'm planning on buying a new TV but I'd rather not deal with multiple versions of the same movie just so I can watch the same content on my other non HDR TV's.

Got a Nvidia shield tv now but that doesn't seem to do any conversion.

Btw I don't know why making sure HDR content would automatically display correctly on SDR devices wasn't part of the HDR spec.

legallink

This is the growing pains of 4/HDR. Lots of tvs, very little content and even fewer streaming boxes. Nvidia shield is the most competent. I think when the new Apple TV player is released, you may have some luck depending on the hdr profile you have on file.

Jdiesel

I doubt we will ever really see much effort put into this by streaming box manufacturers. These devices are designed to deliver content from services that maintain multiple versions of the same file so Youtube/Netflix/Hulu/etc isn't going to send a HDR video to a device with a display that doesn't support HDR. There is no reason to implement tonemapping when you can just send the 1080p SDR version instead. These devices aren't intended to playback UHD bluray rips, no device is really but some are better than others at it.