can I use the Extras folder for ALL extras (deleted scenes, interviews and so on)?

horizonbrave

horizonbrave

Hi,

I was reading the wiki regarding naming convention and it suggests to create a single for sub-folder for each extra content (extras, specials, shorts, scenes, featurettes, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, interviews, trailers).

I found really time consuming.. because I have to do rename a lot of files folder for each movie have... can I instead just use a single "extras" sub-folder and chuck everything in there?

If so, please any con?

Can I just leave them named with interview.mkv, cutscenes.mkv and so on?

Thanks for any clarification :)

aspdend

I only use a single extras folder and everything is named the same as the main movie with -extras01 -extras02 etc at the end.

Eg deadpool (YEAR) [bDRip-2160p] -extras01.mp4

And that has worked for me - I don't really care about the separate elements being identified specifically, as I only tend to watch the extras once

horizonbrave
And that has worked for me - I don't really care about the separate elements being identified specifically, as I only tend to watch the extras once

ahaha, thanks! that reminds me that I never thought about the most important element: how to access these "extras".. is there a special button for each movie?

You'll see extras under the cast and crew. Doesn't matter how they are named.

If you have extras you can't have multiple movies in the same folder though as then emby detects your extras as individual movies.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you have extras you can't have multiple movies in the same folder though as then emby detects your extras as individual movies.

Not if they are named using our extras naming convention.

• Like 1

horizonbrave

Not if they are named using our extras naming convention.

Thanks Luke for joining.

So let's say I'll start having multiple version of the movie in the same folder.. do I need to strictly adhere to the naming convention (one folder for each extra) or can I put them all in one "extra" folder?

For multilple version I guess we're just talking about different resoluions/encods, right? The wiki actually doesn't mention what to do in case of Director's cut version, Teathrical Releases.. and I'm curious about it :)

Cheers!

The wiki does go over multi-version. it's in the movie naming guide. I would check that out. Thanks.

• Like 1

aspdend

Thanks Luke for joining.

So let's say I'll start having multiple version of the movie in the same folder.. do I need to strictly adhere to the naming convention (one folder for each extra) or can I put them all in one "extra" folder?

For multilple version I guess we're just talking about different resoluions/encods, right? The wiki actually doesn't mention what to do in case of Director's cut version, Teathrical Releases.. and I'm curious about it :)

Cheers!

I don't use multiple encodes for different devices etc  as I don't need that currently in my setup. However, if I have a different cut of a film, I will normally just store it in the extras folder and it will appear as an extra under the main title. Again, this works for me (As luke said, follow the wiki for the naming conventions)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Miggyluv66

Sorry I must be really thick. I've referred to the Wiki that kind of makes sense (but also kind of contradicts itelf by saying you can create an extras folder and place it 'beneath' the movie folder, but the example shows it nested inside the move folder, and it also says 'some folders can be nested, such as 'extras' while also stating that nested folders are unsuported)

I've created mine with a film folder:

The 7Th Voyage Of Sinbad (1958)

inside this is the film:

The 7Th Voyage Of Sinbad (1958).mp4

and a folder called

extras

then inside the extras folder I have the extras.

But it's not working? I'm moving over from Plex and thought it would be similar or the same structure. Do I have to change everything (I have about 2000 films) 😞

Edited by Miggyluv66
clarification

Happy2Play

@Miggyluv66 Yes that is correct

/Movies
  /Home Alone (1990)
     Home Alone (1990).mkv
       /extras
         deleted-scenes.mkv

All of these work inside a movie folder.

• extras
  • specials
  • shorts
  • scenes
  • featurettes
  • behind the scenes
  • deleted scenes
  • interviews
  • trailers

What is not working?  What do you see?

image.png.3a8914a1afcae71b3e25de135ba59fcd.png

image.thumb.png.261565a7a8a92aabd4332adeae1a44c1.png

pwhodges

"Beneath" in this context means "nested inside".

I would expect your layout to work - it is the preferred arrangement.  Can you give a little more detail?

Paul