some movies won't play in WMC but work fine elsewhere

carguyshu

carguyshu

All movies play fine if I view them in the web browser in chrome or if I use another player like VLC, but several will not work in WMC. In the attached log you will see that I played 2 other movies fine, but when I tried to play deadpool 2 it just stayed at 0 seconds and a black screen (this also happens with avengers infinity war and several other movies). I have updated my LAV to version 0.73 (the newest) and it still wont work in WMC. please help

Edited by carguyshu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, can you try to attach the log again? Also can you try setting up a windows media center video library and seeing if the file plays through that?

Thanks.

Ok, there's nothing obvious in this log unfortunately. can you try playing the video file directly in windows media center using a WMC video library? That will help narrow it down. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
carguyshu

when i try to add folders to a wmc library that have mkvs in them it is showing the folders but then when i select a folder it is saying there is no media. can WMC not recognize that mkvs are video files?

carguyshu

as per my first post i have the latest LAV filters installed. WMC is saying there is no media in folders that have mkvs in them when i add those folders to either the movies or video libraries 

I would try uninstalling and re-installing lav filters. This doesn't look to me like an Emby for WMC problem, but rather a windows media center video playback problem.

• 1 month later...
carguyshu

@@carguyshu, have you checked out Emby Theater? It's our new app designed to fully replace Windows Media Center:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Thanks !

i tried out theater, but it seems to be very inferior from a customization and view standpoint compared to my wmc setup with chocolate theme. the poster view on WMC is awesome and you can see way more titles on the screen.with wmc as there are not the gigantic gaps between posters like with theater. i can see 27 covers at once on wmc, but only 12 on theater.

it also has the overlay of 1080p over covers on wmc so you can see what is and is not a bluray at a glance. i also really like with wmc how when you are hovering on a title it pops up at the lower left all sorts of other great info such as rotten tomato rating, year, runtime, what time the movie will end etc. if i could get the same look with theater that would be great, but it appears to be very limited.

i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the LAV filters several times and there's still problems. I'm also having other playback issues like not being able to fast forward or rewind

jachin99

are your problems with fast forward and rewind or skip ahead and jump back.  I don't ever remember being able to fast forward or rewind in EMC but I can skip ahead and jump back. 

carguyshu

are your problems with fast forward and rewind or skip ahead and jump back.  I don't ever remember being able to fast forward or rewind in EMC but I can skip ahead and jump back. 

nothing works. when you click the buttons to go forward/back with the mouse they don't do anything. also when the bar appears that shows the playback if you try and click another part to make the movie start playing at a different time it also does not work. all of these things were working fine in the past. i have no idea why they are all now broken not just for me but others it appears.

jachin99

Do you have auomatic updates enabled? Can you let me know which versions of LAV, Emby server, windows, and EMC you are running? Have you installed any codec packs? I wonder if MS pushed an update that broke something.

jachin99

Maybe. Win 7 is about to eol, and I think it's already being sunset throughout many organizations. Wmc also isn't going to get any kind of video player upgrade. Most file formats like MKVs are already well established, and probably won't see suitable replacements too soon at least as far as WMC is concerned. We should probably all find the most stable version that has all the features we need and stop updating. For HDR content there is always something like MPC and madVR.

Edited by jachin99

carguyshu

Do you have auomatic updates enabled? Can you let me know which versions of LAV, Emby server, windows, and EMC you are running? Have you installed any codec packs? I wonder if MS pushed an update that broke something.

I am running the most up to date of everything. LAV version 0.73.1, server 3.5.3.0, EMC 3.0.307.0, and windows 7 professional with service pack 1 and all updates

carguyshu

Maybe. Win 7 is about to eol, and I think it's already being sunset throughout many organizations. Wmc also isn't going to get any kind of video player upgrade. Most file formats like MKVs are already well established, and probably won't see suitable replacements too soon at least as far as WMC is concerned. We should probably all find the most stable version that has all the features we need and stop updating. For HDR content there is always something like MPC and madVR.

yea i wish i knew what previous versions are stable. everything worked fine in the past. i really wish I could use WMC instead of emby theater. the customization and interface of emby theater are just so much worse. i might be stuck or have to move to something else like plex

carguyshu

and what really sucks is that i paid long ago for the emby premier too as i thought it was the superior choice out there for media organizing/browsing. If I could get WMC to play ball it still would be, but thus far there's no fix for the rewind/fast forward (several others have posted about this0 and I imagine others are having the same issue with playback on some MKVs that I am too.

yea i wish i knew what previous versions are stable. everything worked fine in the past. i really wish I could use WMC instead of emby theater. the customization and interface of emby theater are just so much worse. i might be stuck or have to move to something else like plex

The competition doesn't have wmc level customization.