3.0.111 movies screens

mikeraburn

Ok so I can see what the issue is.

@@solabc16 - 3.5.3 only supports Skia and not ImageMagick, which for most apps won't cause any problems, but for Roku it will as the server will be unable to downsize images.

@@VincentVanGozer - It is probably not realistic for solabc16 to put out another 3.5.3 revision, especially since 3.6 is so close now. You may just want to talk to solabc16 about jumping on the beta channel. Thanks.

mikeraburn

Confirmed, the issue is only with the synology AND movies.

His first post confused me too.

Sorry if I wasn't clear!

• Works fine: Roku --> Windows Emby Server --> Reading media from shares on Synology DS1517
  • Flickering as described in this thread: Roku --> Emby running on Synology DS1517 (same synology as used above)

Same Rokus will work fine talking in first scenario. Flickering on Rokus appears in second scenario.

VincentVanGozer

Confirmed, the issue is only with the synology AND movies.

His first post confused me too.

Sleep deprivation is a hell of a thing. Sorry about that. :)

@@mikeraburn @@vaise

Wish granted. Please try the new Roku beta app and make sure to enable the "Extended Playback Info" option. Once you do this will give the OSD permission to display the new button. That new button will give you a way to control playback entirely. It works pretty much exactly as it does on the web app and Android TV. Sorry it took so long to get it here but now it is yours. Enjoy. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I saw the update last night but was unsure what it "fixed" or added.

I am assuming you are referring to Force Direct?

I have so many wishes, I get confused. (I'm getting old)

mikeraburn

I think I reported back in another thread BUT it is all good now and works perfect.

Zero transcoding.

Please report back if your ssa/ass subtitles now cause a transcode or not? We try. We may need to try again. You decide. If it transcodes we still have work to do.

mikeraburn

@@speechles

You may want to post a NEW thread explaining this new feature.

Maybe address what the PLAYBACK CORRECTION does???

I've never used the web app or android tv, so I am lost, as usual.

@@speechles

You may want to post a NEW thread explaining this new feature.

Maybe address what the PLAYBACK CORRECTION does???

I've never used the web app or android tv, so I am lost, as usual.

It will simulate a Video Error. This will make the app try to recover playback. It will then fallback through its recovery logic and pick another play method. This button can be used several times, and it will keep falling back to the next method. Once it hits a full transcode you will notice the "Playback Correction" button no longer appears. This is because once it gets to this point there is no further correction required. This is your "Force Transcode" button on steroids. This is something others need when the SAR/DAR of the Roku makes a mistake. The video will direct play and the Roku will give you display issues. For these times a way to force playback correction is required. Along with the Resolution/Quality bitrate change which also can force a transcode. This gives you multiple ways to enjoy your media without having to remember do you force direct, or force transcode, or force transcode without stream copy? Which is best? With one single button labeled Playback Correction it handles all that guess work now automagically. You simply enjoy your media. No guess work required.

The Android TV app has a dialog come up when you select the "Playback Correction" option that basically answers the question of "What does this do" so I guess we need to add that here.

The dialog says "Are you experiencing a playback problem like no video or audio?" with a Yes and No button.

Yeah, after you select Playback Correction, have the little green ribbon dialog slide in. Same way it does for "Runaway Playback Protection". Only when it slides in after playback correction it asks "Are you still experiencing an issue? [yes] [no]" then you click yes and you won't have to navigate down to the OSD and click the button and hit playback correction again. You just click yes if you are, or no if you arent and it is faster. This might be required just for convenience and for completions sake.

mikeraburn

I am your baseline for average users.

Stuff needs to be in my face, in language that is understandable. (dumbed down)!!

For me at least.

97% of the time I have no idea what you two are talking about and that is fine.

Yeah, after you select Playback Correction, have the little green ribbon dialog slide in. Same way it does for "Runaway Playback Protection". Only when it slides in after playback correction it asks "Are you still experiencing an issue? [yes] [no]" then you click yes and you won't have to navigate down to the OSD and click the button and hit playback correction again. You just click yes if you are, or no if you arent and it is faster. This might be required just for convenience and for completions sake.

That particular interface is not designed to be modal or interactive so we need to just use a normal message box.  We already have a utility function for this so should be easy.

solabc16

Hello All

The updated package 3.5.3.0-18 has support for Skia, so let me know if you're still having problems with this version installed.

If you look in the server log created after the package is started, you should see an entry similar to the below if Skia is available:-

2018-11-12 21:15:57.417 Info Skia: SkiaSharp version: 1.60.0.0

Best

- James

• Like 1

@@solabc16 Thank you sir. Excellent news. The Roku work-around was a clumsy alternative I am glad we never had to expose to the public.

solabc16

Hello

I should probably clarify that statement a little and say that 3.5.3.0-18 now supports Skia on all Synology/XPEnology processor architectures; with the exception of ARMv5 which is in progress as I write.

Previously, only the various x86_64 (micro)architectures were supported.

It's been a little bit of a bumpy ride with Skia and whilst being faster in Emby Server specific benchmarks, in the first iterations (some time ago now) this did come at the cost of reliability/stability.

All feedback of course welcome, and as we're 100% committed to the Skia path now from 3.5.3 onwards, we need to make sure it's a robust as ImageMagick was.

Best

- James

mikeraburn

The flashing screens related to movies on my DS216play went away!

From what I could understand, I "have" and ARM but I have no idea what version.

Anyway, it's gone!

Thanks guys!

solabc16

Hello @@mikeraburn

Thanks for the update, your system is based on the ST Electronics 'monaco' processor - which is ARMv7 and has NEON support, so should be running Skia quite happily.

Best

- James