Cannot run Emby and Plex DNA servers at same time

steve1977

steve1977

Title says it all. I have both Emby and Plex as dockers on Unraid. Unfortunately, Emby DLNA does not work when Plex is running. Thoughts?

steve1977

Of course, sorry! I would like to use Emby as DLNA server to play my music on apps such as VLC or Glider. The DLNA server (emby) is well identified and I can play from it as long as the Plex docker is turned off. Once I have both Emby and Plex dockers both running, only the Plex DLNA server, but I cannot connect or even identify the emby DLNA server from VLC, Glider or other DLNA client apps.

adrianwi

From my rudimentary understanding of how Docker works, if Emby and Plex are both using the default DNLA port then they won’t play nicely on the same Docker instance without some fancy network configuration?

• 1 month later...
beckfield

I'm seeing the same issue, but without using Docker. I'm hoping the solution will be the same.

I have a linux system with both Plex and Emby servers installed.  Both have DLNA enabled, and both apparently use port 1900 for it.

I have a stereo with DLNA capability.  When both Plex and Emby servers are running, neither server shows up in the DLNA servers list.  When I turn Emby server off, Plex will show up sometimes (I may need to restart Plex, or maybe even reboot the computer).  I may be hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure there was a time when both servers appeared on the DLNA list, and both would work.  But now, they won't even show up.  

I'm guessing this is because Plex and Emby are trying to use the same port.

I can't find anything in documentation for either product to change the port they use for DLNA.  Is this possible, and if so, how is it done?

beckfield

Port 1900 is the port that is supposed to be used for dlna, so that is why it can't be changed.

Okay, thanks.  Is it also true that only one server can operate on that port at a time?

Depends. We are opening our socket connection and not requiring exclusive access. If they are it could be a problem. Also a while ago on some Linux platforms I saw that the exclusive access flag was not yet supported by the netcore runtime. If that's still the case then emby could be taking exclusive access over that port.

Can you attach the emby server log? Thanks.

Correct. You'll also need to disable the automatic port mapper under the advanced section. Once all of those are disabled, then try restarting the server. Thanks.