Ability to customize title order in collections

daveru79

daveru79

Could you allow users to customize the order of movies in collections instead of only having it by alphabetical or by release date? Example: I want to have a collection of Batman movies, both animated and motion pictures but want the motion pictures together followed by all the animated ones. With the current order options, this isn't possible. Thanks!

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

daveru79

I have but only see sort order options for by release date or sort name. I don't see an option where I can customize the sort order

• Like 1

Star Wars is a prime example of a collection that people will want to re-order differently.

4,5,6 came first to many people while others will want 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc

Terminator is another.  Anything with flashbacks in later movies is a candidate for custom re-order.  There are other reasons as well.

daveru79

Yes you could but that effects the sorting for the movie outside of the collection as well. What I'm requesting gives more freedom to sort collections a specific way.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

This all depends on the sort title you use.  If you just use numbers (1,2,3,4,ect) of course all views outside collection will be moved to number sort section.  But if you used the collection name with number or maintained "Group items into collections" this will never be a issue.

• Like 2

daveru79

Sorry but I'm not sure what you're explaining there. Whatever you put as the sort name will impact how the movie is sorted outside of collections. So one scenario I wanted to explore is to make a collection of all the Marvel Universe movies and sort them in an order outlined in this article: https://screenrant.com/marvel-movies-rewatch-order/

If I did what you're suggesting, it will have an impact on how the title is sorted outside of that collection which I'm trying to avoid. I think many users have other scenarios (like the Star Wars one above ) where being able to customize the sort order in a collection will be useful

Happy2Play

Sorry but I'm not sure what you're explaining there. Whatever you put as the sort name will impact how the movie is sorted outside of collections. So one scenario I wanted to explore is to make a collection of all the Marvel Universe movies and sort them in an order outlined in this article: https://screenrant.com/marvel-movies-rewatch-order/

If I did what you're suggesting, it will have an impact on how the title is sorted outside of that collection which I'm trying to avoid. I think many users have other scenarios (like the Star Wars one above ) where being able to customize the sort order in a collection will be useful

Isn't that list just a list of movies by Release Date?

You need a drag and drop order for Custom Collections.  Since you don't use "Group items into collections" the sortname moves the items from there default location.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

daveru79

Not exactly. So if you read the article, many of the marvel movies are about events that happened in the past. If you arrange them by release date, Iron Man would be sorted before Captain America: The First Avenger even though captain America is about events that took place before iron man. This is true of any series that has a prequel. Customizing the sort order for these scenarios allows you to arrange the titles to be viewed in accordance with a linear timeline.

Your comment about a drag & drop order into collections is interesting because I think that's exactly what would work. Is that possible? It's not a huge deal but it would just be nice to have that level of customization with my library

Edited by daveru79

What would solve this is to add a new field called display_order or similar and allow the user to populate this manually.  If it's filled in then these entries list first before anything else.  This way if something new is added to the collection it would be at the end until the admin manually adjusted it.

Probably only a handful of collections would need this but it would be super useful.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Or shuffle order just like in the image editor for backdrops.

• Like 1

laie_techie

In the past I suggested having a sort title per movie per collection. An example I saw in the forums was about a collection for AMC's 100 greatest films of all time where the movies should be sorted by their ranking, but the same movies should have a different sort in their main collection.

I would even be cool with a sort option according to date/time added to collection.

That would mean including a UI element to modify the datetime a movie was added to a collection; right now I only see such a field as to when the movie was added to the library.

• 2 months later...
JaScoMa

I agree, a sort order within the collection would be nice; consider the Marvel Universe movies.

I'm a recent Plex to Emby convert and thus far am happy with Emby; running on Pi3B with DietPI.  Within Plex, you can customize the sort order of your playlist (collection).

I have the collection sorted by the Marvel timeline instead of the release dates of the movies; I've used this article as a guide (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/marvel-cinematic-universe-timeline-order-avengers-4/).  Going by the release dates of the movies, Iron Man (2008) is the first movie which was released, yet via the time lines, Captain America (2011) should be the first movie.

Thank you..

• Like 1

JaScoMa

Did some further testing and was able to create a playlist in the order of the movies I wished and then added that playlist to the collection.

So in essence, I can play the playlist within the collection and it'll play the movies in the order via the timeline; order of the playlist.

So it sort of works but it would be nice if we could order of the movies in the collection to what we'd prefer instead of going through a two step process. It's good that there's both; I like it and as before, am quite happy thus far with Emby.

Thank you again..

Edited by JaScoMa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
crusher11

How would manually-sorted collections differ from playlists though?

I've got a few playlists of The Prisoner episodes, each in their various recommended orders. Works for me.